[Albion] Are we as good as I think we are?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
My original post was that they haven’t spent the big bucks and that is correct and I EXPLICITLY referenced the Manc clubs as an example. Man C (another oil club) spent more on 2 fullbacks than we spent on our stadium.
So I stick to my point, Newcastle have not done that. Jeez, Burn was £13m, less than we spent on Webster.

Right, but Man City also sign players for smaller fees too, like Sergio Gomez for £11m.
I see Newcastle have just spent another £25m on Joao Pedro for £25m pushing them to over £200m on their bargain hunting.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I too pinch myself when I watch some of our play. We have had good individual players in the past, some great even, but other than pairs of players who have come good like Ward & Mellor, I don’t remember us ever have it from a team playing such attractive, skilful, quick, interlinking football, and getting the results such play deserves. Some of it is mesmerising. Hard to keep this going for a whole season. There will be setbacks.
Eighth will do me - that would be yet more progress. Anything more a bonus. Not sure we need European football just yet.

Some of it is quite astonishing really… couple of times yesterday when we were in a bit of bother, we won the ball back in a very tight space and followed that with 10 or 12 instant first time passes leaving the poor Hammers players chasing shadows. Fantastic stuff

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
[tweet]1562417717348548608[/tweet]

£60m on a new striker sees them surpass £250m in less than two windows. :lol: At least they’re not spending silly money though…

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'll answer once I've seen whether we can finally start putting bottom 6 sides away. That's the key now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'll answer once I've seen whether we can finally start putting bottom 6 sides away. That's the key now.

West Ham are bottom six :shrug:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Done it twice already this season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
10th biggest in the league. So mid table then. Thanks for agreeing with me 👍😂

My original post was that they haven’t spent the big bucks and that is correct and I EXPLICITLY referenced the Manc clubs as an example. Man C (another oil club) spent more on 2 fullbacks than we spent on our stadium.
So I stick to my point, Newcastle have not done that. Jeez, Burn was £13m, less than we spent on Webster.

The wage list is ONE measure. You said I wouldn't know what Trippier was paid. It's easy enough to find out that he's on 145k a week or so and that Newcastle's wage bill has grown significantly under the Saudis.

Never mind. Let's try net transfer spend. In fact, let's move on from Burn and Wood, neither of whom will feature significantly in a season or so and just look at this window. Ignoring the rumour that they're about to spend £60 million (very much Man City area money) on Isak (Ornstien is an even more reliable source than the BBC) and look at the difference between spend out and income in.

Here Newcastle lie in 8th place but will go top 4 if they spend 60m on Isak and don't sell anyone significant.

https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/soc...ez-Richarlison-Jesus/l0rj2wd9arkzt7goqkkri6ps

Furthermore Man City have MADE 34 million this window. The only club to have a better net spend? Brighton.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ha ha

Ha. Very funny.

You know what I'm talking about. Bottom sides who give us a lot of respect and sit men behind the ball.

Of course we know what you mean.

But you don't imagine, for a femtosecond, that we are going to let pass an opportunity for some low comedy, do you? ???

:wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The wage list is ONE measure. You said I wouldn't know what Trippier was paid. It's easy enough to find out that he's on 145k a week or so and that Newcastle's wage bill has grown significantly under the Saudis.

Never mind. Let's try net transfer spend. In fact, let's move on from Burn and Wood, neither of whom will feature significantly in a season or so and just look at this window. Ignoring the rumour that they're about to spend £60 million (very much Man City area money) on Isak (Ornstien is an even more reliable source than the BBC) and look at the difference between spend out and income in.

Here Newcastle lie in 8th place but will go top 4 if they spend 60m on Isak and don't sell anyone significant.

https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/soc...ez-Richarlison-Jesus/l0rj2wd9arkzt7goqkkri6ps

Furthermore Man City have MADE 34 million this window. The only club to have a better net spend? Brighton.

On these occasions I look at you moderators and smirk.
You can't put anyone on ignore, can you? ??? :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Of course we know what you mean.

But you don't imagine, for a femtosecond, that we are going to let pass an opportunity for some low comedy, do you? ???

This should be made into a small jpg and placed under the NSC banner permanently as some kind of strap-line-come-mission-statement.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
West Ham are bottom six :shrug:

If there is any weakness in GP's tactics, it that he seems to struggle with finding a way to counter exactly this ^

My hope is that someone like Mitoma may have been brought in to address this - someone who has a burst of pace over short distances to break through that low block. Perhaps Undav will also offer a physical presence we haven't really had since Murray?

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
From my point of view, best I have ever seen in 59 years of watching. The late 70's side of Ward, Horton etc was superb to watch, but this lot is better. Think we can compete with most teams apart from the top 6, and only fault is we are not good against teams that park the bus, we maybe need a plan b, but as someone said maybe that is why we have purchased a speedy Japanese winger. Good times ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Is [MENTION=240]larus[/MENTION] going to come out and indicate that he is WRONG on this. He could even come out and indicate that he's WRONG about plenty more.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Your comparison is not like for like. Man City were taken over in September 2008, the week that we knocked them out of the League Cup on penalties at Withdean.

In the next two transfer windows they spent £141.62 million on players and sold £23.85m, leaving them with a transfer fee balance of -£117.77m.
In the two transfer windows since their takeover, Newcastle have spent £150.39m and taken nothing in sales, leaving them with a current transfer fee balance of -£159.39m. That will become -£210.39m if the spend £60m on this striker.

As, in their first two transfer windows City spent only 56% of what Newcastle will have spent, it is not really possible to argue that Newcastle haven't spent the big bucks.

Incidentally, the signings of Mendy for £51.75m and Walker for £47.43m were made in the summer of 2017, nine years after the City take over. During that nine years City had won two league titles and, at the end of the previous season, had just had 6 consecutive top four finishes, meaning 6 consecutive Champions League qualifications. To take these two two full back signings into account in a comparison, you would have to be looking at what Newcastle will be spending in the winter of the 2030/31 season.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Your comparison is not like for like. Man City were taken over in September 2008, the week that we knocked them out of the League Cup on penalties at Withdean.

In the next two transfer windows they spent £141.62 million on players and sold £23.85m, leaving them with a transfer fee balance of -£117.77m.
In the two transfer windows since their takeover, Newcastle have spent £150.39m and taken nothing in sales, leaving them with a current transfer fee balance of -£159.39m. That will become -£210.39m if the spend £60m on this striker.

As, in their first two transfer windows City spent only 56% of what Newcastle will have spent, it is not really possible to argue that Newcastle haven't spent the big bucks.

Incidentally, the signings of Mendy for £51.75m and Walker for £47.43m were made in the summer of 2017, nine years after the City take over. During that nine years City had won two league titles and, at the end of the previous season, had just had 6 consecutive top four finishes, meaning 6 consecutive Champions League qualifications. To take these two two full back signings into account in a comparison, you would have to be looking at what Newcastle will be spending in the winter of the 2030/31 season.

Does this take into account the price rises since 2008?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports