Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we a big club or not?

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Crawley Town's biggest rivals are local neighbours Brighton and Hove Albion! You'd think one of them might have done the decent thing and let us know about it.

Some of their fans hate us, and I have absolutely no idea why. Then you have the other lot who actually find us a thoroughly decent club who have no idea why the other fans hate us.

Anyway, surely Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: should be up the top as they're MASSIVE.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
bigger now than we were
it would be interesting to compare the crowds over the years

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Seems the criteria and definition of "big club" can change with the weather.
Most other sports "rankings" look to use weightings for more recent performance - this one doesn't.
So pinch of salt required.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
The problem is how people rank teams is an entirely personal matter. For me it's some fuzzy combination of current and past crowds and achievements mixed in with personal prejudice and misinformation. The big thing with that list is it obviously over values historical factors.
For what it's worth id have us around 40th place, having risen from about 60th place pre-bloom.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
If you have to start a thread to decipher whether we are a "big club" or not chances are we aren't.

Bigger than we were three years ago, Yes. But a big club, probably not. That will have to wait until we become an established premier league club.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I don't think it matters. It is only so one fan can brag to another, it does not determine what happens on the pitch. We managed somehow to beat the mighty Leeds the other day even though they are massive.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Surely we're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If the option were massive, big, medium & small I would say that we are at the medium/big mark. Hopefully this will change to big in this decade but we are far from being massive.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think of Newcastle as a big club but cannot remember them winning anything. Actually come to think of it they won the Fairs cup in the 60's didn't they ?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
How is this even a debate? We were a big club at the Goldstone, we were a small club at the Preistfield and Withdean, and now again a big club at the Amex. Football is an ever changing game. Look at Portsmouth, would you say they're as big as they were 5 years ago?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How is this even a debate? We were a big club at the Goldstone, we were a small club at the Preistfield and Withdean, and now again a big club at the Amex. Football is an ever changing game. Look at Portsmouth, would you say they're as big as they were 5 years ago?

Indeed. It's fair enough to judge clubs on 'bigness' at any point in time. This can even be charted over time if you like - 'Bury were a big club at the time they won the Cup'. But please spare the credit given for status and achievements 100 years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here