Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are VIP lounges worth the extra money or not ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've currently got a BA gold card (not for much longer) so get lounge access whenever I'm on a BA flight and do like it - quiet, free wifi, comfy chairs, food and drink included etc. BA lounges are only for first/club travellers and gold/silver card holders though and you can't 'buy' access to them. I have bought access to lounges when not flying BA, in particular if significantly delayed, as the usual cost of single entry (c£20-£25 typically) would outweigh what I might spend in the airport on food and drink.

When I lose my BA card (soon as I haven't been travelling much) I might look for an 'added value' bank account (like the Natwest one), or buy a Priority Pass membership which a few pals have and looks decent value and has a very large number of airports covered

https://www.prioritypass.com/Join/What-it-costs.cfm

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Included in the yearly fee, which covers a lot of other benefits. I don't have one, I might add, but a friend does. Bloody invaluable at Harare Airport, then a three hour transfer from Nairobi Airport.

I do have a platinum card, not sure of these lots of other benefits you speak of!! Again, the value is negligible, but the Priority Pass card is regularly a god send.....

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
As has been said before they can be good value if you've got a long-ish stopover and want somewhere you can relax or have a shower etc. I don't think I would pay to go in before a flight unless I had to get to the airport very early for some reason.

And if you're talking airport prices you can easily get your money's worth at the bar :moo:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I treat airports as just a necessary evil, that serve the function of getting us onto our flight from A to B. I don't see it so much as an extension of my trip unlike other posters on here. I'd rather save up and spend the money on an upgrade on the flight itself.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I find they are good to send the kids into. Then you can get pissed in Weatherspoons without worrying about any of the responsibilities :cheers:

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
It's all relative to an individual. If someone has an abundance of disposable income, then extra costs become redundant. If you asking someone on an average wage to pay for one of these lounges, they would probably say no :) (but maybe once as a special treat)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I very fortunately had an Emirates pass when I went to Beijing, to say it was fabulous was an understatement.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I dont like hanging around in airports waiting so it's a no from me. My modus operandi is to turn up at the last minute.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Never paid for the privilege and so just wondering. Nearly forgot i'm talking about airports here and Gatwick in particular

I used the No.1 lounge at Gatwick North on the first Saturday of Feb half term, so particular busy day at Gatwick. It was excellent, far better than I expected having read some dire reviews. You can pay on the day £25 or £17.50 if you shop around in advance. As a family we have a mountain of Avios points and we got free passes for only 2750 points pp. It also helped that our flight was delayed by an hour!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here