Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are unions still worth paying into?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I have been a member of the Unite union for several years.
Have never used them, only joined as a couple option when my wife had difficulties with a certain bitch of a boss, and that's another story!!
Anyway digressing, is the whole union thing still worth paying £10 a month?
NSC sages please do advise :)

I think you've answered your own question right there.

As correctly stated, its like having insurance. We all dislike paying car or house insurance, however, there may always be that day when when need to call on it for help.

There are good unions, not so good unions, good reps, not so good reps. Just as there are good employers and terrible employers. Aside from the union assisting in disputes, I used the free legal helpline on numerous occasions. In the current political climate in the UK, there are plenty of unscrupulous employers happy to take advantage whilst an anti union government is in power and happy to weaken employee rights. I wouldn't want to take the chance of opting out of union cover if the opportunity was there.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Definitely worth being a member. Around 2010 they announced that profits were down but still very healthy, a week later they tried to jump on the austerity bandwagon and claimed they couldn't afford a pay rise. Suffice to say people saw through this and were livid; the union were on it like a tramp on a bag of chips and a couple of months later a decent pay rise was agreed. In my 32 years of service I don't think there's ever been a year when we didn't get a pay rise.

Then there's collective agreements on things like relocation & pay/pension protection (my job was downgraded years ago but I retain the pay/pension of the higher grade).

To date, we've not had a single compulsory redundancy, despite reducing staff by something like 100000 in the last 24 years, were there no union I cannot imagine this being the case.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
That's like asking whether house insurance is worth paying when your house has never burned down. It's there when you need it.

And if you go into it you may find your union has other benefits. The NUJ gets reductions on computers and has excellent training courses.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I pay RMT £25 a month ,worth every penny,would gladly pay double.

Just a shame that things are not the same since Comrade Bob died, people who slag off the unions should mobilise and join one. It's what every employer FEARS , a well educated, legally represented workforce.

Anyone who slags off the unions and is an EMPLOYEE is a grade one MUG

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Their role in pay negotiations has no doubt been reduced since the 1970s with the demise of the large public sector industries, and in many work places not having sufficient members to be recognised by the Employer. If you are lucky enough to work where your manager and Company are fair you are unlikely to need the services of the union n the workplace. However should you be unfortunate to be involved in a disciplinary hearing, or have a manager who is being unfair leading to a grievance then a Union is probably still vital in assisting representing you. The union reps will be used to discussing such issues with senior management and HR and will not be overwhelmed by the process.

They also provide a few good perks such as free will writing, etc.

No forget to consider opting out of the political levy if you dont wish to support the Labour party financially,

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Just a shame that things are not the same since Comrade Bob died, people who slag off the unions should mobilise and join one. It's what every employer FEARS , a well educated, legally represented workforce.

Anyone who slags off the unions and is an EMPLOYEE is a grade one MUG

Does Terry Hurlock still work for RMT ???

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I have been a member of the Unite union for several years.
Have never used them, only joined as a couple option when my wife had difficulties with a certain bitch of a boss, and that's another story!!
Anyway digressing, is the whole union thing still worth paying £10 a month?
NSC sages please do advise :)

I would say, and posts on the first page seen to bare this out, it depends on the employer you are with. Some companies have so many dodgy managers and rules you need the union to hold them accountable. On the other extreme some companies have bought out unions in backroom deals(Unite was involved in the case I am thinking of) and you will find yourself stuffed if you have a problem.

There is also the issue if you consider unions a consumer convenience and/or wether you mind a political levy(You can opt out). So these days its more up to your view and the type of company you work for.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I think you've answered your own question right there.

As correctly stated, its like having insurance. We all dislike paying car or house insurance, however, there may always be that day when when need to call on it for help.

There are good unions, not so good unions, good reps, not so good reps. Just as there are good employers and terrible employers. Aside from the union assisting in disputes, I used the free legal helpline on numerous occasions. In the current political climate in the UK, there are plenty of unscrupulous employers happy to take advantage whilst an anti union government is in power and happy to weaken employee rights. I wouldn't want to take the chance of opting out of union cover if the opportunity was there.

I would say, and posts on the first page seen to bare this out, it depends on the employer you are with. Some companies have so many dodgy managers and rules you need the union to hold them accountable. On the other extreme some companies have bought out unions in backroom deals(Unite was involved in the case I am thinking of) and you will find yourself stuffed if you have a problem.

There is also the issue if you consider unions a consumer convenience and/or wether you mind a political levy(You can opt out). So these days its more up to your view and the type of company you work for.

I work for Serco, contracted to the MOD, not all staff are union members, so it's a bit hit and miss when negotiating for a wage rise!!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The value of union membership depends on 2 things:

1. The relative strength of the Union in terms of membership levels, quality/ability of senior officers, attitude of top management, extent of politicization

and

2. The ability of local shop stewards to deal quickly and effectively with local issues as they arise and to work effectively with local managers for the benefit of the workforce as opposed to a political or personal agenda

In my experience the quality of local reps is frequently appalling and senior officers are often management toadys. But if you have good local reps and strong principled senior officers then unions are an excellent support mechanism.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I agree with the insurance thoughts, plus it good to have someone on your side if your employer is trying to shaft you.

Though you have to consider if you would go on strike, losing a days pay etc.if they call industrial action, like Unite has done for us next week.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Speaking as a manager in a public body who is involved quite frequently in disciplinary procedures, the outcome for the people involved is frequently much better if they have union representation. It isn't just a question of keeping us managers honest (I like to think I am) but they are much less likely to dig themselves a hole and much more likely to recognise an attempt at conciliation if they are advised by an experienced rep. I am also a union member as I have been faced with some dodgy dealings by very senior managers and I needed someone in my side.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
At this stage, if you're private sector unless you're a grunt in a potentially dodgy employer I don't see the purpose. The one time a union (CWU) would have been handy they were so ineffectual that the reply to my initial request for assistance came after I'd already left the employer!

I know of some closed shop setups where the union is all but another arm of management - for a guaranteed trickle of pay rises, often below CPI in the days when there were substantial CPI increases, they would side with management on everything. However, Tesco Ireland seemed to have this but they're actually going on strike tomorrow so clearly its broken down there.

That said, I went for a public sector role recently and would have been signing the union papers on day 1.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Another GMB member here. I think it's totally worth it. I'm going through a whole bunch of unsavoury work shenanigans at the moment and having them on my side really does help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here