Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Are there too many people 2020

Are there too many Humans (2020 version)

• Yes too many. Our numbers are not sustainable

Votes: 62 88.6%
  • No Keep on breeding – there is no population problem

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As a species we already can't live in harmony and equilibrium with the rest of life on the planet. We already can't organise ourselves well enough to give everyone a reasonable standard of living.

Based on that it's difficult to argue that the current exponential population growth is good or sustainable.

A practical and/or palatable solution doesn't exist. I've no doubt the situation will play itself out to a mass extinction, it's absolutely inevitable, just a question of when.

A practical solution does exist, through education and development to reduce the birth rate.

The birth rate is already below 1 in many countries around the world. Conversely they end up relying on immigration for economic growth and looking after their ageing populations.

The annual change in the world's population is now half that of what it was in 1970, and is decreasing year on year. This is where things like state aid, conflict resolution, education all come into play.

One interesting statistic is that in the last couple of years, the worldwide population of 65+ year olds exceeded under 5s for the first time. Birth rates are falling coupled with us keeping people alive for longer.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not AH, but Thomas Malthus envisaged natural checks on population growth, such as pandemics.

... and war. He was writing in the midst of the Napoleonic conflict and towards the end of a century that had seen several wars.

He also predicted the availability of birth control.

What's causing the increase (as KZNS) points out, is not people having more kids - they're not, what's causing the increase are fewer people dying.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
If you have a look at the evidence, there's a strong case to be made that the real problem is not population numbers but, rather, rates of consumption and, most particularly, the consumption of a narrow sector towards the top of society.

Which is why I wrote the bit about not organising ourselves. In theory you're correct, in practice we can't and won't ever get it right. It's already too late.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
About a hundred years ago, there was this fella from Austria who had exactly the same thought. I wonder what happened to him

Not really the exact same thought, though, was it?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
The question is: what's the future? Logan's Run or Soylent Green :smile:

0fc.gif

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Human induced climate change? Pah.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If you have a look at the evidence, there's a strong case to be made that the real problem is not population numbers but, rather, rates of consumption and, most particularly, the consumption of a narrow sector towards the top of society.

this is conflating consumption and wealth, two seperate issues. no matter how much wealth accumulates in the top whatever percentile, they consume rough in proportion to their number. meanwhile there is the rest of the population also consuming food, energy, gadgets, goods and services. mobile phone would be good example, the top 1% might each own a couple flash models, only small % of resources needed, while the other 99% having a nidrange model that creates unsustainable pressure on resources.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I thought this Covid-19 was man made to reduce the population, did someone forget to tell the world's leaders to not lockdown? Maybe they only told Trump and that Brazilian guy.

And the 5g masts are the backup plan?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
With vertical farming, energy reducing measures, solar cells etc. I think another 10 billion would be managable but with each year the world becomes more organised and I doubt that the people in the top of this hierarchical organisation would allow the population to grow much above current levels. Controlling reproduction and making people die a bit earlier won't be controversial ideas to sell in a pretty near future.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
this is conflating consumption and wealth, two seperate issues. no matter how much wealth accumulates in the top whatever percentile, they consume rough in proportion to their number. meanwhile there is the rest of the population also consuming food, energy, gadgets, goods and services. mobile phone would be good example, the top 1% might each own a couple flash models, only small % of resources needed, while the other 99% having a nidrange model that creates unsustainable pressure on resources.

Can I suggest that, just as one within a plethora of examples, you dig out the stats on wealth deciles (and ideally centiles towards the top) and how much they fly. The evidence is that the wealthiest carbon usage is at rates far in advance of the bottom half of the population.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can I suggest that, just as one within a plethora of examples, you dig out the stats on wealth deciles (and ideally centiles towards the top) and how much they fly. The evidence is that the wealthiest carbon usage is at rates far in advance of the bottom half of the population.

im sure it is. the point is the use of those resources dont scale.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here