Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are there some cracks beginning to show?

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
If Maddie McCann was abducted, then the abductor and the abductor alone is responsible for her disappearance. Blaming victims for crimes is a very slippery slope.

Blaming parents for neglecting their children is fine in my book. At the very least, they are partially responsible. They had a duty of care to their child and failed.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The parents, and the parents alone, are responsible for Maddie's disappearance.

Would any parent here leave their young child alone, without supervision, in an apartment that was probably not particularly secure, in a foreign country, whilst they went on the beer? Of course you wouldn't - even if your child hadn't been scared and upset at the prospect.

Despite the parents trying to divert blame to all and sundry, this terrible situation would never have arisen if they had exercised even the most basic parental care.

And in a way I believe there is a "class" aspect to this situation. If the parents had not been affluent professionals, I think they would have had social services crawling all over them for a long time, at best. And at worst, had the younger children removed from their "care".

Of course, and every rape victim that was wearing revealing clothes, was a bit tipsy and was a bit flirtatious, utterly deserved it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Unfortunately, children go missing way too often. But I don't recall any case where the parents were in the limelight as much as the McCanns. Of course, that could be their plan to keep the case in peoples minds in the hope that it eventually helps it get resolved. But I feel a bit sick when I see them having books published etc... It makes me think that their only goal is to make money, not find their daughter.

Admittedly, I am one of those people that think they know more than they're letting on about the incident and are hiding a big secret. It just never seemed to add up to me.

I actually don't think that goal is to make money, but to be in control of the process/agenda. One way to do this is to have enough money to be able to resort to the legal system when necessary, and to push new lines of enquiry when the opportunity arises. Cynical old git me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Blaming parents for neglecting their children is fine in my book. At the very least, they are partially responsible. They had a duty of care to their child and failed.

Would you say Jamie Bulger's mother was responsible for him being abducted? Have you ever turned your back on your child for a second? Kept them within sight every minute of their lives?

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008

By that token, then, was Jamie Bulger's mother partially responsible. I will state upfront that I am not a parent, but I would imagine there are very few parents who haven't lost contact with their children for a few moments at least. Is there maybe a time limit? If so, what would that time limit be?

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Would you say Jamie Bulger's mother was responsible for him being abducted? Have you ever turned your back on your child for a second? Kept them within sight every minute of their lives?

You beat me to it. Exactly the same sentiments. You aren't my other account are you?

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
By that token, then, was Jamie Bulger's mother partially responsible. I will state upfront that I am not a parent, but I would imagine there are very few parents who haven't lost contact with their children for a few moments at least. Is there maybe a time limit? If so, what would that time limit be?

You beat me to it. Exactly the same sentiments. You aren't my other account are you?

I agree that almost every parent would've lost contact with their child for a few moments. It's impossible to watch a child constantly and there are bound to be moments when you've lost track of where they are. That's just being human.

But in my opinion, that is entirely different to actively leaving your child unattended in an unfamiliar place, where countless unknown people could have access to where they are. That's just bad parenting.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree that almost every parent would've lost contact with their child for a few moments. It's impossible to watch a child constantly and there are bound to be moments when you've lost track of where they are. That's just being human.

But in my opinion, that is entirely different to actively leaving your child unattended in an unfamiliar place, where countless unknown people could have access to where they are. That's just bad parenting.

The place where the McCanns were staying was a compound. They were under the impression that countless unknown people couldn't get access. They made a terrible mistake and have paid for it ever since with a parents' worst nightmare.
That, on the face of it, is what appears to have have happened.

Another example is Ben Needham, staying with his grandparents in Greece. It now seems as though he was crushed by a digger, and buried, although that hasn't been proven 100%. A terrible accident.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
The place where the McCanns were staying was a compound. They were under the impression that countless unknown people couldn't get access. They made a terrible mistake and have paid for it ever since with a parents' worst nightmare.

They were staying on a compound with hundreds of other people. Cleaners, security, managers would all likely have access to their room. With their level of supposed intelligence, they'd know that too. They left a three year old to look after herself and she has paid the consequences.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They were staying on a compound with hundreds of other people. Cleaners, security, managers would all likely have access to their room. With their level of supposed intelligence, they'd know that too. They left a three year old to look after herself and she has paid the consequences.

Guilty as charged. I left a four year old and a one year old in a chalet in Pontins. Pontins employed cleaners security managers barmen etc, but the thousands and thousands that went to those holiday camps didn't have their children abducted.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Guilty as charged. I left a four year old and a one year old in a chalet in Pontins. Pontins employed cleaners security managers barmen etc, but the thousands and thousands that went to those holiday camps didn't have their children abducted.

That's great. Fortunately, the worst case scenario doesn't happen very often. But if something had happened, in my opinion, you would've been partially responsible for leaving your children in that situation.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's great. Fortunately, the worst case scenario doesn't happen very often. But if something had happened, in my opinion, you would've been partially responsible for leaving your children in that situation.

That is your opinion. As I said, it used to be standard practise, and thousands did it. There but for the grace of God, go I.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
I thought the dividing line was that working class people have dinner in the middle of the day, but middle class people have dinner in the evening.

Is there another definition then?

I always thought it was whether or not you had a fruit bowl and dimmer switches?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
If Maddie McCann was abducted, then the abductor and the abductor alone is responsible for her disappearance. Blaming victims for crimes is a very slippery slope.

Excuse the very simple analogy but if I leave my front door open while I nip to the shop round the corner, whilst people will blame the burglar, there will also be the question of "why the F did you leave your door open?" It's not the 1950's where you could do that and expect common decency to ensure some random wouldn't burgle you.

Victim blaming/shaming is a slippery slope but so is the abandonment of personal responsibility. If I go out and drink 10 pints and then get robbed of my wallet on the way home because I've had a skinful and can't protect myself or my valuables, I have to take SOME responsibility.

And bringing it back to the point, had the McCanns not been over 100m away from the room where there 4 year old child was sleeping, then there is a much lower chance of her being abducted.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
That is your opinion. As I said, it used to be standard practise, and thousands did it. There but for the grace of God, go I.

Many things used to be standard practise and done by thousands. Some of those most people would no longer contemplate. Times change.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Another example is Ben Needham, staying with his grandparents in Greece. It now seems as though he was crushed by a digger, and buried, although that hasn't been proven 100%. A terrible accident.

From memory, didn't the McCanns apartment have public access from the street and they left the door unlocked?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here