Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are there any MP's worth a pay rise?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They don't deserve a pay rise principally on the basis that they are public servants and all other public servants are on a pay freeze, especially that half of them are the ones that are imposing the freeze in the first place.

Also, let's not forget that they get very beneficial allowances for lunch, travel etc. Most of us have to pay for travel to work and for our lunches when we are there so that comes out of our salary but not MPs.

As for second jobs, I also believe that an MP should be a full time role. It's a load of boll*x about them having experience which helps their decision making. Yes, by all means have had a career before or after but not during. Also, how does an MP who is employed as a non executive director of say a tobacco firm remain impartial? Equally it could be argued that labour MPs should not be card carrying members of unions.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They should be paid more so that we get the right people interested is standing for parliament ... and less need for them to fiddle their expenses.

In order to offset the cost we should reduce the number of MPs by 25%. Far too many at present.

What makes you think paying them more will attract a better group of MPs? It will still be the same type of person that seeks election only they will get paid more.

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
Nice idea but I'm not sure what measurements would be appropriate given we're talking about all MPs and not just the government. I know I wouldn't travel to London, work late into the night and give up my weekends for £65k !

No but if you were bought a second home in London by your employer, could charge almost all your food and living costs and meals out to your employer and have a couple of months off in the summer, one off at Easter, another at Christmas, a huge pension, be a consultant on various boards just by being virtue of being an MP would that tempt you? They don't work weekends.

If it was so bad why are the majority of them privately educated/connected to establishment? None of them should be paid more than the average wage

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
MP's are the most underpaid roles in the country. They could earn at least double that in most industries.

That's irrelevant. The rest of the public sector have had their salaries frozen for several years now. Why should MPs be any different?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No but if you were bought a second home in London by your employer, could charge almost all your food and living costs and meals out to your employer and have a couple of months off in the summer, one off at Easter, another at Christmas, a huge pension, be a consultant on various boards just by being virtue of being an MP would that tempt you? They don't work weekends.

If it was so bad why are the majority of them privately educated/connected to establishment? None of them should be paid more than the average wage

I would not be tempted for £65k ! And they DO work weekends - I've met my MP at weekend events that he didn't have to attend.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
MP's are the most underpaid roles in the country. They could earn at least double that in most industries.

My heart bleeds. If they aren't happy with the salaries they are getting then why don't they sod of and get a better paid job as you say they can.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My heart bleeds. If they aren't happy with the salaries they are getting then why don't they sod of and get a better paid job as you say they can.

the problem is many very capable and intelligent MPs potential MPs do sod off to better paid jobs. you can earn more in a think tank or for a xyz rights charity, which arguably more influence on political debate than being an MP.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Are there any MP's worth a pay rise? Yes, Dennis Skinner, his quips in the house are the most entertaining thing in parliament!

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
those that vote for or bring in policies that have not worked or deliberately lie about statistics and manipulate them should be made to resign
any found to be cooking the books thrown out of government

lets put it this way would you trust any politician or even any high management banker to run your bank account?
what would you pay the opposition?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here