Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are there any Fireman on NSC?

D

Deleted member 18477

I was interested in becoming a fireman at one point in my life just didn't seem like there was enough money to earn though? What's the salary these days?

And police for that matter? Got a mate who's interested in joining the police.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was interested in becoming a fireman at one point in my life just didn't seem like there was enough money to earn though? What's the salary these days?

The salary is very decent for what is essentially (at the point of signing up) an unskilled job. Plus the shifts they work mean that they nearly all have other work too...

Chris0979

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing, Sussex
I know the guy has said he wasn't seriosu about that comment but I do quite a lot of work in equality and diversity so here's my schpiel ..

I work in the public sector, and unless the Fire Brigade is very different, which I'm sure it isn't, then there's no quotas or targets and no positive discrimination (apart from disability in some very special, rare cases).

Positive discrimination is illegal in the UK.

All the brigade would have done - as do the Police and other public bodies I imagine - is asses the make up of their workforce and see how diverse it is. Of course in most cases you find that the workforce is made up of white british people, and perhaps male white british people in the case of the FB.

They would also look at which type of people are applying, and if the figures there suggest its all white males then it is argued that something needs to be done to promote the work to all members of society.

That's all it is, it's not post-apartheid South Africa, it's just successive governments making the public sector put things in place to have their workforce reflect the diversity of the people they serve and encourage a culture of diversity in their organisations.

It's a shame but this does happen they actually have minority recruiting events, I was advised by a senior fire officer to tick the gay box even though I have been with my missus 10 years and 1 son and another due any day!

After I applied a couple of years ago I was told I was unsuccessful 3 months later they had a minority recruitment day as they were trying to boost numbers of other races other than white british males.

Airport fire fighters are normally recruited from former members of the fire brigade as they fight aggressively as they are in effect trying to rescue people in a metal tube full of aviation fuel. They do sometimes recruit outside of this.

As Laughing Gravy said join up with the forces not sure about fleet air arm (ex Army myself) I would recommend RAF Firefighting

Good luck with what ever you choose to do!

D

Deleted member 18477

Thought about applying myself once, had a few friends in the industry who said sadly, most of the work they carried out was cutting car crash victims out of the wreckages :( Another scare story was getting a body from the bottom of a lift shaft. Changed my mind after that. Not all glitz and glamour so bear that in mind.

But fireman get all the pussy? Them sweet sweet sugar walls that you can go BALLS DEEP in biatch! Pro's and con's...

Window Licker

May 17, 2012
Are you gay,black,Muslim and disabled (i mean all of these combined, not just one) - if yes, youve got a great chance. If no, then good luck pal, but hope you have a plan b

Throw in benefit scrounger and pikey and you've got the criteria for being housed by the council?

Lol

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton

And police for that matter? Got a mate who's interested in joining the police.

They are around £28,000.00 I believe. Not brilliant, but I'd rather be In a job I love living happily, than wealthy and dreading going to work every day.

D

Deleted member 18477

They are around £28,000.00 I believe. Not brilliant, but I'd rather be In a job I love living happily, than wealthy and dreading going to work every day.

That's not bad at all mate. They deserve more but better than a lot of other jobs.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
It's a shame but this does happen they actually have minority recruiting events, I was advised by a senior fire officer to tick the gay box even though I have been with my missus 10 years and 1 son and another due any day!

After I applied a couple of years ago I was told I was unsuccessful 3 months later they had a minority recruitment day as they were trying to boost numbers of other races other than white british males.

Airport fire fighters are normally recruited from former members of the fire brigade as they fight aggressively as they are in effect trying to rescue people in a metal tube full of aviation fuel. They do sometimes recruit outside of this.

As Laughing Gravy said join up with the forces not sure about fleet air arm (ex Army myself) I would recommend RAF Firefighting

Good luck with what ever you choose to do!

Thanks Chris, I'll certainly look into it!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Are you gay,black,Muslim and disabled (i mean all of these combined, not just one) - if yes, youve got a great chance. If no, then good luck pal, but hope you have a plan b
And when you've sorted out your plan B, any danger of passing it onto Gus :lol:

That's not bad at all mate. They deserve more but better than a lot of other jobs.

Good holiday allowance too
And a public sector pension.

Be prepared to go on strike, though, when it comes to the struggle to retain pay and conditions. The fact that members of the FBU are among the most popular public sector workers tends to put them in the vanguard of these battles. It's also a workforce that genuinely believes in something other than "everyone for themselves". That comes from playing so much volleyball and stuff.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I know that most of the comments on here are rather tongue in cheek but to begrudge any of the emergency services a decent pension is probably going a bit far, not many would want to do some of the stuff they have to.

Their pensions aren't quite as gold plated as some think they were many years ago having been reviewed well ahead of the recession many have been paying huge contributions since the '70s and the benefits are nowhere as good as they were. There is also a reason for having a reasonable pension - the chance of getting injured (or worse) at work is ever present. Part of that is provison for a widows/partners pension.

Plus because they have a 'can do' mentality they dont roll over lightly when it comes to having conditions challenged. Although the FBU do have a history of fighting other peoples battles too if it suits their national agenda.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Unfortunetley Nick you'll be lucky to find any brigade recruiting at the moment. If anything it's all about cut backs & if this continues then the service as whole will suffer from a lack of fresh blood. That's not to say it won't happen. Keep an eye on the websites & be prepared to travel if you do find an opportunity. Brigades on the whole are filling their holes with transferees as recruitment courses are expensive. Keep an eye on Hampshire. PM me if you want any more info

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
My brother's a fireman in West Sussex and that sounds about right. Given the shifts he does get the opportunity to do other work to supplement the income though.

He's been in for about 20 years. His advice to anyone wanting to join is if they aren't recruiting full-time fire-fighters then join the retained crew at your local station, ie the part-timers that already have another job. Once they start recruiting again they usually try and find someone from the retained first. Good luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here