Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are there any butchers in mid Sussex open on a Sunday?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Surely more than a Monday, when they are open all day? They were all open on Sundays when I lived in London, and seemed to be busy all day.

My old butchers use to open Saturday morning and closed Sunday and Monday, seemed to work well and always got the cut I wanted for a roast on the Sunday

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Seconded recomendation for Malpass. Get all my meat there now, and they are open Sunday.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
www.holmansbridgefarm.com

Open Sundays, excellent butcher, 20 mins drive from HH.

I would like to agree and the environment seems to lend itself to a better and more authentic produce.

But I can only guess that if any farm does not rear there own livestock to slaughter and sell, then they source their produce just like any other retailer probably from a local wholesaler, unlikely to be exclusive to them.

So any retailer should have the same option to source quality meat comaparable to any farm shop.

Ultimately perhaps farm shops can sell produce for more and can therefore buy better quality meat in, but butchers and other retailers should have similar options on the quality of their meat sold.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Shops open on a Sunday; wouldn't happen in Germany.

http://www.german-way.com/travel-an...hopping-in-germany/shopping-hours-in-germany/

Have to say I prefer no trading on a Sunday.

In the last year or so we've had two holidays in Holland close to the German border. My experience is that the German people do not actually enjoy their day of freedom from shopping, but jump in their BMWs and sit in traffic queues to get to the retail outlets across the border.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In the last year or so we've had two holidays in Holland close to the German border. My experience is that the German people do not actually enjoy their day of freedom from shopping, but jump in their BMWs and sit in traffic queues to get to the retail outlets across the border.

Maybe it's different on the border but where I live, and within the circles I move, it's just accepted. I never hear any talk about it and when I once raised it as a question it was kind of dismissed. There doesn't appear to be any wide-spread call for change. I do think city living might play a part with food stuffs though; folk just buy stuff on a as-need basis ie there's no weekend "big shop". I notice this in other big cities like London and NYC.

Personally I really like it and it is certainly noticeable as you see families doing stuff together as opposed to catching up on the shit they should have done during the week.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Maybe it's different on the border but where I live, and within the circles I move, it's just accepted. I never hear any talk about it and when I once raised it as a question it was kind of dismissed. There doesn't appear to be any wide-spread call for change. I do think city living might play a part with food stuffs though; folk just buy stuff on a as-need basis ie there's no weekend "big shop". I notice this in other big cities like London and NYC.

Personally I really like it and it is certainly noticeable as you see families doing stuff together as opposed to catching up on the shit they should have done during the week.

I have lived in Germany and as long as everyone is doing it then people will accept it and the retailers shouldn't be losing out to competitors that otherwise can open.

It has some charm in a nations busy schedule granted, but it is a little out dated, and I am guessing derived from a religious aspect which is never a great thing.

As I recall they even have a religious tax if you do not opt out, so the church has perhaps an overbearing position in some districts, so although Germany is a favourite place of mine lets not overcook its merits on everything it does.

I think accessing shops and services on a Sunday as something quite helpful, never really impinges on my family life or within the families I am close to and can offer opportunities for workers and business owners too, I am always suspicious when religion or the state feels it needs to engineer my preferences in my personal life on a particular day.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yes, I had noticed it's not the 1950s any more - and far fewer families routinely have Sunday roasts, so even less demand for Sunday morning butchers than back then (even if the Sunday trading laws been less stringent back then).
Perhaps you should consider a freezer.

I've got a freezer, but if I wanted a second-rate roast after it's been sat in my freezer then I'd just buy supermarket meat in the first place.

I got my meat from Waitrose in the end. It was disappointing, as it always is from a supermarket.

I understand that perhaps there is less demand for meat on Sundays than there used to be, but there must be more of a demand on Sundays than Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, surely? Why not close one of those days instead?

theboybilly

To be fair I've long wondered this myself. I'm all for supporting local traders and not giving my hard earned cash to the supermarkets BUT if they're never open at a time convenient to me I'm left with little choice.

There's a cracking butchers down the road from me in Kemptown but the only window within which I can ever use it is Saturday morning before they shut in the afternoon. There's always a queue snaking down the street and if I've had a particularly heavy one the night before meaning I don't get up as early as I might have liked, I've missed my chance.

Presumably they're doing well enough they don't need the Saturday afternoon or Sunday to be open BUT they'd certainly get more business from me if they did

Can you pre-order (on the Friday for example) and ask them to put your order by for picking up just before they close on the Saturday?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Why do butchers all close on Sundays? I find it completely bizarre. It's like a church closing on a Sunday. They must miss out on so much trade. Why not close on a Monday instead? Why close on the day of the week that your product is used most?

The Old Spot Farm Shop in Piltdown on the A272 is open on Sundays. Its not cheap but the meat is vg.
http://www.oldspotfarmshop.co.uk/

The Old Spot Farm Shop in Piltdown on the A272 is open on Sundays. Its not cheap but the meat is vg.
http://www.oldspotfarmshop.co.uk/

I drive past this regularly during the week when visiting customers.

Last week I decided to stop and go and have a nosey round, took one look at the prices and walked straight back out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've got a freezer, but if I wanted a second-rate roast after it's been sat in my freezer then I'd just buy supermarket meat in the first place.

I got my meat from Waitrose in the end. It was disappointing, as it always is from a supermarket.

I understand that perhaps there is less demand for meat on Sundays than there used to be, but there must be more of a demand on Sundays than Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, surely? Why not close one of those days instead?
Nothing wrong with frozen meat. Many of the places that sell direct from the farm sell in large quantities, so that, for instance, you buy a half lamb and put it in the chest freezer for when you want to use it.
If, however, you are so pernickety and precious about the meat you eat for your Sunday roast, you really need to organise your life so that you don't suddenly wake up on a Sunday morning thinking, 'Oh sh1t - I haven't bought the Sunday joint. Where is there an emergency out of hours meat service?'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here