Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are their any decent beaches with Rock Pools in Sussex?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Where did you park? It gets tricky during the summer holidays. If you arrive early for the low tide, Ovingdean by St. Dunstans is a better option than getting clamped.

We were well lucky, came through rottingdean to the lights at the cross roads and we drove over to the few parking spaces where the ramp is leading to the beach and there was an empty space by the pub, bargin as well at a £1 for 2 hours.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Always used to go rock pooling as a kid down at Rottingdean, brought a few cheap nets and took some scewers, smashed a few limpits off the walls put them on the scewers half way down the net, used to catch loads of Prawns. just be careful on the seaweed, my cousin broke his arm trying to run across it. FAIL.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Always used to go rock pooling as a kid down at Rottingdean, brought a few cheap nets and took some scewers, smashed a few limpits off the walls put them on the scewers half way down the net, used to catch loads of Prawns. just be careful on the seaweed, my cousin broke his arm trying to run across it. FAIL.

it wasnt too slippery on saturday, tell me something, I never saw a prawn all the time I was there? is there a way of finding them or is it just luck or is it the deeper pools that they hide in?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

you have to wait until a wave covers a limpet they relax when submerged then you can just karate chop them off the groyne with your hand as soon as the wave passes.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
it wasnt too slippery on saturday, tell me something, I never saw a prawn all the time I was there? is there a way of finding them or is it just luck or is it the deeper pools that they hide in?

get a fish head and some seaweed in a bucket leave it just covered in the water and you will get loads.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
get a fish head and some seaweed in a bucket leave it just covered in the water and you will get loads.

that easy, blimey, deeper pools i assume then, and then just fry them with Garlic and bobs your uncle, i can see myself back there next sunday!!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

It was all about finding the right rock pools, we used to go out of the way the deeper the better generally, you need to have bait, otherwise you will catch nothing. havent been for probabley 6-7 years but we always used to go down from st dunstans, and walk towards rottingdean for around 5-10 mins and go out to the old rail posts. as soon as you catch one, you will catch plenty. take several nets and place them under the same rock.

i always took a spoon to get the limpets off and the scoop out, not the nicest thing to do, but its got to be done.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
It was all about finding the right rock pools, we used to go out of the way the deeper the better generally, you need to have bait, otherwise you will catch nothing. havent been for probabley 6-7 years but we always used to go down from st dunstans, and walk towards rottingdean for around 5-10 mins and go out to the old rail posts. as soon as you catch one, you will catch plenty. take several nets and place them under the same rock.

i always took a spoon to get the limpets off and the scoop out, not the nicest thing to do, but its got to be done.

Thanks gonna give this a go, the kids really enjoyed it (I did more I reckon!!) so were going to go again soon

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I want to take my little kids to the seaside and let them experiance looking at Rock Pools and finding various creatures, used to love doing it as a kid, but that was always in Cornwall or Devon. Dont know if there are any suitable beaches around here?

Seriously I would suggest going to the Cuckmere Haven and walking the short distance westwards to Hope Gap at low tide. There are some wonderful pools there, also the exciting remains of a cross-channel secret cable put in there before WW1.
I did some rockpooling there about 2 years ago,found a velvet swimmer crab. They are vicious. We put it in a bucket with some ordinary gren crabs and it was nearly a massacre, it just took them all on.

You can get on and off Hope Gap beach by some steps too.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Seriously I would suggest going to the Cuckmere Haven and walking the short distance westwards to Hope Gap at low tide. There are some wonderful pools there, also the exciting remains of a cross-channel secret cable put in there before WW1.
I did some rockpooling there about 2 years ago,found a velvet swimmer crab. They are vicious. We put it in a bucket with some ordinary gren crabs and it was nearly a massacre, it just took them all on.

You can get on and off Hope Gap beach by some steps too.

We found your typical crab on Saturday, but then found a sizable crab (3" in size) but was very soft to touch, the others had hard shells? what was this or was it just "not well"

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
We found your typical crab on Saturday, but then found a sizable crab (3" in size) but was very soft to touch, the others had hard shells? what was this or was it just "not well"

An upside down 3" crab?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here