Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the Playoffs out of reach?

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013
Im traditionally an optimist but I have to say I am not convinced we are going to make it into the play offs this year. I read in the argus that Orlandi was suggesting 11 wins in 17 will secure it. We have played 29 games and only won 10 so far and our current form is not all that different. Maybe another year in the Championship and squad strengthening in the summer will put us in a better position for next season. What do you think?

Will the club be able to afford the 14 million pound wage bill next season after FFP kicks in,if not who do they get rid of Gus? Tanno? Kuszack? the the decision will be a tough one for tony

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Will the club be able to afford the 14 million pound wage bill next season after FFP kicks in,if not who do they get rid of Gus? Tanno? Kuszack? the the decision will be a tough one for tony

Yes they will as the wage bill falls within the ratio of wages to revenue income allowed.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Re: Are the Playoffs out of reach?Are the Playoffs out of reach?

The club need to reduce the loss by 3million next year to comply with FFP.

It's reasonable to hope that the new shirt sponsorship will be a large chunk of this.

Perhaps booting out Azure, an increase in the season ticket/transport levy, and Paul Barber's cost cutting will deliver the rest.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Lose or draw today or Tuesday and it's all over in reality.

So we will know if it's still on at around 7pm tonight...

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
This, especially if Vicente is as some on this board would have you believe, better than Gotsmanov and Lawrenson. If he is, then we should breeze in top the play offs, should he pull his finger out that is. As matters stand however the players in this squad miss chance after chance and give soft goals away. They are good players but so far, they have just not been professional enough and whilst I hope I'm wrong, I can't see it. It also doesnt help that that we gave palace the leading goal scorer in the division. Not as bad as missing out on Ian Wright but why do Brighton have to shoot ourselves in the foot like this time after time?

you do talk bollox sometimes but that is spot on really.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The question was "are the playoffs out of reach?" The straightforward answer is they are not. There are plenty of points to play for and it is still a possibility. The question most of us are answering is "can we reach the playoffs?", which is a slightly different thing. Seems most of us are realistic enough to think that we have probably missed the boat this season. I would be very interested to see how many teams have ever won 5 out of 22 and still landed a playoff spot at the end of the season. I'm guessing there's not been many.

While the playoffs were a stated target it doesn't follow that the season is a total failure if this is missed. There is no point in setting a target if the bar is set so low that you automatically know that you will achieve it. This is a highly competitive division and there was never any reason to assume that we would simply waltz our way to promotion. Provided that there is a sense of progress I would imagine that most of us would be happy at the end of the season. Whether or not there has been progress this season is debatable. After a flying start the rest of the season has felt like a bit of a slog, with the draws piling up week after week. On balance I still think that we are progressing though. The squad looks that little bit better than it did last season and hopefully we might be on the verge of solving our striking problem.

Glass half full.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Im traditionally an optimist but I have to say I am not convinced we are going to make it into the play offs this year. I read in the argus that Orlandi was suggesting 11 wins in 17 will secure it. We have played 29 games and only won 10 so far and our current form is not all that different. Maybe another year in the Championship and squad strengthening in the summer will put us in a better position for next season. What do you think?

I would accept that. It's a very tough league and as long as we are in with a shout and don't fall away like last year will be quite happy.

Would be even happier to get in the play-offs though :)

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
We are a long way off but here is the target. Boro are who we need to go after whilst watching Forest come up behind us. Win at home at all costs (bleeding obvious really). Cardiff away is a loss, accept it. Must win at Bristol, Bolton & Barnsley, it can be done. Accept a draw V CP. It's a one off game where form counts for nothing. Forest away is a big one. I believe they could be a threat with new manager so a big win. Couple of home ties and then the game to decide 6th place, away to Boro. A MUST WIN. End of the season we will be in 6th CP in 5th and it so points towards BHA v CP Wembley 2013 for the richest prize in football.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The squad looks that little bit better than it did last season and hopefully we might be on the verge of solving our striking problem.

Glass half full.

A little bit better? Are you kidding? It is MASSIVELY better and we should be much closer to the play offs than we currently are.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Bounce this thread 9.45ish next Tuesday and I'm sure the answers will be more definitive.
Personally If we don't make the play-offs then I'll be as disappointed as when Barry took us down the season after losing to Notts County.

This!!

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Why why why are you you repeating yourself self update update. Sort sort yourself out out. Get get get sorted. Update update. Besides we have 20 games left not seventeen seventeen. You have not included included the update two play off semi finals and the play off final at Wembley. Repeat update WEMBLEY.

:tosser:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
i dont understand the negativity or the rush..as long as there is progress on and off the pitch thats all good.why should we be a top 6 side we are hardly the only team with good players.half the clubs fans will think the same.its a very hard league and its all about consistant finishes.staying in the top 10 and your time will come like cardiff this year..keep doing what we are doing and we will get to the prem...whats the rush?? If it happens this season or next or in 5 years.it is still a club and team to be proud of!!!

Because...

WE will lose our best players.
We will lose Gus.
We will lose part of our fan base.

You are far too lackadaisical.

Other than that, spot on.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Because...

WE will lose our best players.
We will lose Gus.
We will lose part of our fan base.

You are far too lackadaisical.

Other than that, spot on.

Yes we will, and that is depressing, but this club moves forward and improves every day.

We just evolve and get better players in. We are a premier league operation when the training ground is there, and the status will come soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here