Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the Albion a tin pot club?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hard to argue against at the moment I feel. Most of us like to think we should be rubbing shoulders with the big boys of the Championship. If it wasn't for Archer, Stanley etc and the legacy we are left with of Withdean we'd be a good Championship club, with aspirations to yo yo ing the Premiership.

But would we and will we? We've spent most of the time in Div 3 (League 1) and now we're back there kicking and screaming and blaming everyone from McGhee through to...well McGhee.

Tin pot or down on our luck and about to become the new Charlton/Reading ?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
New Charlton/Reading eventually. Even Coppel addmitted that with a ground we would be a bigger club than reading. At the mo we are a nothing cub.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I think we could even be pushing for Clay Pot status to be honest

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
New Charlton/Reading eventually. Even Coppel addmitted that with a ground we would be a bigger club than reading. At the mo we are a nothing cub.

All very well having the ground, we are gonna need someone to bankroll the team. Reading got lucky and got the whole package. Huddersfield is the other end of the equation and waht we are likely to be without the elusive sugar daddy imo.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
DOES IT MATTER,YES WOULD LOVE US TO BE UP THEIR WITH THE big boys,but end of the day does it really matter,you would still go if we were in the conference wouldnt you,support through thick and thin,and hope when we do hit the big time,that im still alive:clap2:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
empire said:
DOES IT MATTER,YES WOULD LOVE US TO BE UP THEIR WITH THE big boys,but end of the day does it really matter,you would still go if we were in the conference wouldnt you,support through thick and thin,and hope when we do hit the big time,that im still alive:clap2:

Don't get me wrong I love following the Albion in the lower divisions and the years in the top flight were a bit reminiscent of this season for me, always struggling and not much fun. Give me the heady days of div 2,3 anytime. Just curious as to why people seem to think we have a divine right to be a Championship club, regardless of our finances.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
According to Ernest.........................YES

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Next year we'll be in the division we've spent most of our existance in. Much as we all like to think the Albion's a big club, it ain't. Maybe with a posh new stadium we could grow, much as Wigan and Reading have. Realisticly, we're currently only able to compete properly at L1 status.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We're about the same size as Brentford.

Taking 4,000 to London games means jack shit when you get 7,000 at home in the championship and barely sing at home. Two things that WILL change when we finally get a proper ground, whenever that may be. *sigh*

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Simster said:

:eek:

We always have been and always will be too big for the lower two divisions. IMHO at worst we should be a mid to lower table Championship side, at best a Premiership yo-yo club.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
what goes around,comes around.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Its a fact that, untill we get falmer, we will at best be a lower half championship club. I wouldnt say we are "a nothing club". A lot of potential here.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cheeky Monkey said:
:eek:

We always have been and always will be too big for the lower two divisions. IMHO at worst we should be a mid to lower table Championship side, at best a Premiership yo-yo club.
Agreed. When we get a ground. But until we do, we're smalltime. :(

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Whether Big Club or Small Club, the Albion has a unique heritage, with extremes of success and failure, elation and misery that no other club can match.

"Small Club" critics can justifiably point to Withdean and our mainly third tier history. "Big Club" wannabes can properly cite a thrilling FA Cup final against Manchester United and winning at St James's Park to spend four seasons in the league's top flight.

Me? I'd go with "Unique Club", citing our experience of Manchester United, Wembley, Hereford, back-to-back Championships, Brian Clough, Archer/Bellotti, Peter Ward, Mark Lawrenson, Bobby Zamora. And never forgetting Sussex by the Sea, the Falmer campaign and the inspirational vision of Dick Knight...

If ever you feel like moaning about the Albion, imagine what it must be like to be a supporter of Rochdale, Darlington, Torquay or Rotherham. And then, just read that previous paragraph again.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...does that make us a wannabe tinpot club, or a no pot club.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Simster said:

I've always thought we're about the same size club as Plymouth, except they've got a decent ground. If we had the ground we'd be getting 13-15k in the championship

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I would put us with the likes of Plymouth, Watford and Norwich.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here