Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Scientists Having a Steffi?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Scientists are now theoretically predicting the cosmos will be replaced by another cosmos in billions of years.

Apparently it's a simple calculation......
BBC News - Cosmos may be

Is it time they got proper jobs, like sorting out famine, drought and disease and stuff like that?
Who employs these nutters?

The common thread here is that the Universe is expanding along with most people's waistlines albeit, at slightly different rates.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
You are probably right, but I sometimes wonder whether we need to know about things that might happen so far into the future when there is so much misery in the present. Scientists skills could be better used and money spent more wisely.

I doubt that cosmologists would have much to add to any of our current issues. We need more doers not theorists.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Watch The Big Bank Theory on Channel 4/E4. Explains it all, and makes aye laugh. :hilton:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think the idea of a cyclic universe is strangely comforting.

I do too. The thought that it is a finite idea and one day would just cease to exist is a bit depressing, at least it continues the whole circle of life (wimoweh a wimoweh a wimoweh etc)

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Besides many of our greatest new technology has come from space type programmes and research by 'mistake'.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

This. Anyone who questions NASA's purpose doesn't understand what they're questioning.

NASA solves problems that people might not think are real problems, but the solutions are applied to society and improve our lives drastically. Imagine how advanced we would be if NASA got half the funding of the US Defence department?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm glad someone is working on the universes rapidly decreasing helium supplies. Without that we are gonna be in a bad way. Get on on it spods and boffins!

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
I thought that he old theory stated that the universe started with a big bang causing it to expand for a very long time until it eventually started to shrink back causing another big bang (I know some also hypostatised that it could expand indefinitely). This new theory has a different explanation but with more or less the same outcome. It's not really made any difference has it?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Einstein and that E=mc2 - what was all that about, he should have got a proper job.

He did have a proper job. He was a technical assistant in the Swiss Patent Office.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here