Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are people getting carried away with this squads capability?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Nobody knows the capability at this stage and that is one of the exciting things about it. There is plenty of ability but will the players gel and will the results follow ? This is the beauty of football.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
As you strange keyboard warriors tag people 'Bedwetters' when they voice their concerns over the clubs dealings, I'd also like to point out that on the other hand others are prematurely ejaculating all over the show at the new signings where as I'm a little bit more relaxed about it and unsure lets say of what were capable of.

We've seen lots of new players come in at a very fast rate & i'm really impressed at how quickly Sami and the coaching team have appeared to have got them gelling so well together when some only signed a day or so before certain games and in a new style of playing, of which again I'd like to add looks fantastic. On the back of last seasons dull football under Garcia, Hyppia has got me excited to go to the games again, the wing backs surging forward is exciting to say the least but and I have to say I'm hesitant to say where we will finish.

In regards to assessing the newbies since 2 weeks ago, it looks like this to me.....

Holla - not match fit/sharp = promising from ONE game!
Bennett - good signing
Teixiera - great signing
Gardner - no idea (injury prone)
Baldock - no idea - another small striker in the CMS ilk, I'm concerned at our lack of target man, presence and height up top as heard from Bristol City mate that Baldock plays best with target man so watch this space.
Colunga - promising - but no more as we've seen one game against league 1 opposition.

So for me we have 3 solid signings who should be capable in this league of doing well, but recently I've seen comments from people who are over the moon with our signings, praising Burke, Bloom etc for the amazing job they have done, well that all seems very premature......especially as either half of these people who are now on cloud 9 were either slating those who complained about the lack of transfer activity or agreed and moaned aswell, seems to be a lot of hypocrites on this site. It's either feast or famine on this site!

I even saw someone say we have a top 4 squad now, how on earth does anyone come up with that. Lets be realistic, it's a capable squad with more quality than we had but still lacks that 2 quality players to be classed as something that can challenge the playoffs comfortably. We still lack that target man in the Murray or Wood style who can serve players like CMS/Baldock and O'Grady is not that man i'm afraid. We are still weak at right back with Calde for me as much as I love the guy and I still think we lack that extra creative force in midfield, hopefully Gardner can be it?

If Hyppia were to get us in the top 6 this season for me it would be a greater achievement than the past two playoff seasons!

Bedwetter

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Agree that we don't have a good target man, but I don't think Hyppia wants to play that way.
.... and there we have it,............... besides, all the BCFC fans I live and work with down here in North Somerset, all say Baldock is a great 'hold-up' man, brings the m/f into the game, and loves to play off another striker with quick darts etc,...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Hyppia were to get us in the top 6 this season for me it would be a greater achievement than the past two playoff seasons!

I don't buy this. A lot of the 2012/13 side were 'Gus' players but getting to the play-offs last season was an overachievement - Kuszczak didn't want to be here under Oscar, Bridge didn't re-sign, Lopez and Orlandi barely contributed, Buckley by his own admission had his head turned, Bridcutt was mediocre then rejoined Gus, Barnes and El-Abd jumped ship, CMS and Hoskins were out for the whole season so at times we only had one striker. And the kids were still raw. With that in mind it is incredible that Oscar got us back into the play-offs.

Here Sami is starting with a blank sheet - we've had a clearout and he now has a dozen or so new players to work with, plus JFC, Ince and March who now have significant game time behind them. Pretty much everyone in the squad WANTS to be at the Albion, which is not the same vibe as last season. And whilst building a good team takes time I fancy we've got enough quality to be in/around that 6th spot again. It would not surprise me if we pushed on harder than that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ask me again on 1st May 2015.
Why wait, we'll be promoted 4 months earlier.

Unless you're just waiting for UEFA to rubber stamp our wild card entry into The Champions League.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think a part of that is relief. There are people who tried to remain positive, while deep down they were actually as worried as the people they were criticising for moaning. They probably had some subconscious anguish over feeling the need to remain positive as a supporter, while also having those concerns about our transfer dealings and results prior to the last couple of weeks.

Then we sign players, get a couple of wins, and suddenly everyone can take a breath and their relief comes out as a "ha, told you so"/"amazing business!" kind of overcompensation.

Things are mostly looking positive. Toko not coming off the bench at all leaves questions, O'Grady is drawing questions with his lax performances, I wonder if there are questions about Hughes given Dunk's progress, and McCourt and Gardner just haven't had enough time to show much yet but generally the pair of them seem at least decent squad additions and may prove to be better than that. But people still need to wait a while and see how the team settles down over the coming months before getting overly effusive about the transfer deals.

Well said!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
As you strange keyboard warriors tag people 'Bedwetters' when they voice their concerns over the clubs dealings, I'd also like to point out that on the other hand others are prematurely ejaculating all over the show at the new signings where as I'm a little bit more relaxed about it and unsure lets say of what were capable of.

We've seen lots of new players come in at a very fast rate & i'm really impressed at how quickly Sami and the coaching team have appeared to have got them gelling so well together when some only signed a day or so before certain games and in a new style of playing, of which again I'd like to add looks fantastic. On the back of last seasons dull football under Garcia, Hyppia has got me excited to go to the games again, the wing backs surging forward is exciting to say the least but and I have to say I'm hesitant to say where we will finish.

In regards to assessing the newbies since 2 weeks ago, it looks like this to me.....

Holla - not match fit/sharp = promising from ONE game!
Bennett - good signing
Teixiera - great signing
Gardner - no idea (injury prone)
Baldock - no idea - another small striker in the CMS ilk, I'm concerned at our lack of target man, presence and height up top as heard from Bristol City mate that Baldock plays best with target man so watch this space.
Colunga - promising - but no more as we've seen one game against league 1 opposition.

So for me we have 3 solid signings who should be capable in this league of doing well, but recently I've seen comments from people who are over the moon with our signings, praising Burke, Bloom etc for the amazing job they have done, well that all seems very premature......especially as either half of these people who are now on cloud 9 were either slating those who complained about the lack of transfer activity or agreed and moaned aswell, seems to be a lot of hypocrites on this site. It's either feast or famine on this site!

I even saw someone say we have a top 4 squad now, how on earth does anyone come up with that. Lets be realistic, it's a capable squad with more quality than we had but still lacks that 2 quality players to be classed as something that can challenge the playoffs comfortably. We still lack that target man in the Murray or Wood style who can serve players like CMS/Baldock and O'Grady is not that man i'm afraid. We are still weak at right back with Calde for me as much as I love the guy and I still think we lack that extra creative force in midfield, hopefully Gardner can be it?

I see your point but I think you are being a little harsh. Holla played in midfield against Bolton, he didn't blow our minds, we hardly noticed him in that game. But we got 26 shots on target and completely owned all over the park, including in midfield. I would credit Holla in part for how we played in that game, even if his role was quiet (ala Bridcutt).

As for Colunga, it's fair enough to say we've seen one game against league 1 opposition, but he got one goal, one assist and won a penalty. Even top Premiership players can have zero impact against lower league opposition in the right/wrong game.

The point which I think is fair is that we have acquired a lot of quality players, but we are yet to see it come together as a quality team. That is something for which we will have to wait and see, but I think things bode well. Maybe there isn't quite reason to get carried away yet, but there is good reason to be excited, imo.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Pretty sure they are playing a standard 3-5-2 though? Whereas our formation seems to be more of a 4-2-3-1 with the fullbacks given full licence to get forward while the deeper midfield players cover.

you are spot on. we may have no height in the team either, but with that and the style we play it's very similar to barcelona (albeit at a different level) and it didn't do them any harm!!!!!

although you are talking about systems, wether or not the players are good enough is just is just as important.
time will tell, but for one feel positive and am looking forward to our progression.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here