Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are our floodlights too DIM ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
These issues were fully investigated at the Public Inquiry into the planning permission for the stadium. The Club's expert advisors were fully aware of the requirements of both the Championship and the Premier League, so it would be wrong to suggest that Paul Barber has only just discovered that there might be an issue.

Yes. All he said at the forum was that the club would still have to do some work on the stadium (when prompted in a question) to meet Premier League requirements but not as much as other clubs in recent seasons because of the work we've done at the Amex..
He specifically mentioned Bournemouth and hinted at Palace.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
I noticed this when we played our first evening game at the Amex. Sitting as l do at the top of the west stand it shows clearly that the far side of the pitch ie; close to the east stand is dark.

This is not the only problem with lighting. The lights behind me used to light up the fans are way too bright in that if you sit behind a fan wearing a white top the reflection is dazzling.

Oh and whilst we are talking about problems the audio system is pathetic.

There's more but I think that's enough for today.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Saving on the electrickery to fund new players!
If beat Arsenal in a cup game, you know what Arsene Wenger will say.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm up the back of East Upper. We have two spot lights to illuminate the stand within each 'area' between the beams. Ours never work. We went years with no lights but on Friday they were lit up except most of the others had gone out. Bad wiring?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm up the back of East Upper. We have two spot lights to illuminate the stand within each 'area' between the beams. Ours never work. We went years with no lights but on Friday they were lit up except most of the others had gone out. Bad wiring?

Think yourselves lucky they don't work. One of ours, in the North stand, caught fire last season, raining down hot bits of metal on the seats below. Fortunately it was at half time, so there weren't many people under it.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I used to like the Goldstone 4 big flood lights, it looked quite impressive coming into Hove station. But I guess I'm old fashioned when it comes to new stadiums.

The Amex is far better in almost every other aspect though.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The floodlights are dim due to the MASSIVE power being diverted to the advertising boards which are so BRIGHT they hurt your eyes

Advertising boards when the play near them are a massive distraction when they keep changing...It would be great if they could be dimmed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hadnt noticed it being generally less bright but have noticed that when certain adverts come on with a bright white background it is virtually impossible to follow play on the eastern side of the ground from Lower West as it all merges into a blur. Wih most of the adverts it is ok just the very bright white ones.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Advertising boards when the play near them are a massive distraction when they keep changing...It would be great if they could be dimmed.

I completely completely agree. Far too bright and so were an irritation. I've never thought the floodlights were too dim before but they can't compete with the perimeter LEDs.

Watching the Sky coverage later, they had to shoot it at such a level that, to have the pitch acceptably illuminated, the perimeter boards were so bleached out that they were illegible! Bet the advertisers loved that!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I completely completely agree. Far too bright and so were an irritation. I've never thought the floodlights were too dim before but they can't compete with the perimeter LEDs.

Watching the Sky coverage later, they had to shoot it at such a level that, to have the pitch acceptably illuminated, the perimeter boards were so bleached out that they were illegible! Bet the advertisers loved that!

It looked like they had the boards set up for bright sunlight... and it was already getting quite dark and overcast during the 1st half. Really distracting and as you say, unreadable, on TV, which is the main purpose.

Not very clever.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I sit in WSU and have found the far touchline gloomy under floodlights from the very start. The advent of the LED boards has only made this worse and the observation further up that the TV lighting balance bleached out the adverts reinforces the point.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yes. They've always been too dim. Even some of the players have commented on it. Obviously within the required limits but it'd be good if they're improved one day.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have to say from my position in WSU row H, they don't appear that dim to me. That maybe because I remember the Goldstone lights back in the mid 70s when it was like watching football being played at twilight. Now that was dim!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Premier League -
A Club’s Stadium must have floodlights giving a maintained vertical illuminance of:
K.112.1. an average of at least 1650 lux and a minimum of at least 1000 lux when measured
towards the principal camera on the Television Gantry; and
K.112.2. an average of at least 1000 lux and a minimum of at least 650 lux at any one
location on the pitch when measured towards the 4 vertical planes at 0°, 90°,
180° and 270° as shown in the pitch lighting grid set out below.

Championship -
Average lux value 800
Minimum at any one point 500

Top work , at least its all been legal keeping us in the dark as to what happens on the pitch

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nope. The pitch still doesn't look quite as brightly lit to me compared to what other clubs seem to manage for their evening games. I'm used to it I suppose, so its no big deal. But I still notice it.

One of the bonuses if we go up is that it'll finally have to be sorted.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here