Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are other Championship clubs taking FFP as seriously as us?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The players who are being signed now are looking at 2 or 3 year contracts, so whoever is signed today may fit into this years FFP £8m allowed loss, may not fit into next years permitted £5m loss. Next season players financial demands will balance out against their unrealistic expectations.

We are riding out the storm but there is calmer water ahead.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well, that's news to me.

I found this article earlier, I'm not sure how old it is though.
It doesn't seem to make much sense to me, how can other clubs be falling in line and us not, considering many have much higher wage bills and lower incomes than us?

http://chairmansnotepad.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/financial-fair-play-brighton-will.html

What a bizarre article. We are one of the few championship clubs who look to be meeting FFP restrictions. Strange that the article choses to focus on us, and not the many others in a far worse state.

Strange, but probably down to some underlying bias by the author.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Forest made a loss of about £13 million in their last accounts and have spent silly money this summer so I can't see any way that they will comply with the FFP.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
What a bizarre article. We are one of the few championship clubs who look to be meeting FFP restrictions. Strange that the article choses to focus on us, and not the many others in a far worse state.

Strange, but probably down to some underlying bias by the author.

Agreed. The article is garbage and clearly written by someone who does not understand FFP.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Our frugality is NOT about the FFP, it's about cutting our £8m losses.

With the biggest gates & amongst the most expensive ticket prices in the division, we are in an extremely comfortable position for the FFP.

It's also worth considering that the FFP doesn't come into action until January.

After reading the links above, I stand corrected - I actually read that on here!

Interesting that the FFP allows an £8m loss, which means that even if we didn't improve our financial situation (which we are), we would be OK.

Wow. I'm genuinely flabbergasted at your complete lack of understanding of the finances of the Albion, and the requirements and implications of FFP.

You post five sentences, four of which are either factually incorrect or exhibit extreme financial naivety.

Maybe you are a WUM, and the joke is on me. But it does make me wonder how many Albion fans (and football fans in general) still have little or no understanding of what FFP is, and the implications for clubs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow. I'm genuinely flabbergasted at your complete lack of understanding of the finances of the Albion, and the requirements and implications of FFP.

You post five sentences, four of which are either factually incorrect or exhibit extreme financial naivety.

Maybe you are a WUM, and the joke is on me. But it does make me wonder how many Albion fans (and football fans in general) still have little or no understanding of what FFP is, and the implications for clubs.
No the fella has an agenda about being unable to afford the Amex.

His desire to spend £80 on a ticket and sundries, is immaterial.
Also his refusal to use the free public transport from Hove, also hampers his experience.

Naturally should Oscar become the manager we all hope and expect our man will still be on the outside looking in.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Does the depreciation charge on The Amex get factored into the accounts now all the building work is finished ? If it is that's a £2M+ a year sum in the losses column.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
According to this bbc article QPR made a loss of £25.4m in their promotion season and would have been fined an estimated £3m if the new regulations had been in place. £3m fine is that really going to stop certain teams taking the risk for such a pittance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17841566

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
According to this bbc article QPR made a loss of £25.4m in their promotion season and would have been fined an estimated £3m if the new regulations had been in place. £3m fine is that really going to stop certain teams taking the risk for such a pittance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17841566

Let's assume that the acceptable loss for that year would have been 8m quid, according to the FFP rules I calculate that they would have been fined something like 14.08m

Edit: and don't forget that this fine is distributed between the championship clubs that DO comply with FFP.

Last edited:

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Let's assume that the acceptable loss for that year would have been 8m quid, according to the FFP rules I calculate that they would have been fined something like 14.08m

Edit: and don't forget that this fine is distributed between the championship clubs that DO comply with FFP.

If getting to the prem is worth around £120m then is the gamble worth taking for some?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Our frugality is NOT about the FFP, it's about cutting our £8m losses.

With the biggest gates & amongst the most expensive ticket prices in the division, we are in an extremely comfortable position for the FFP.

It's also worth considering that the FFP doesn't come into action until January.

If the last bit is true, and a club decides to risk all on a money no object tilt at the PL, presumably sanctions won't apply because by the time they are due to be imposed the club, if their strategy works, will be in the PL where FFP doesn't apply?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here