Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Good Manners a thing of the past?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I thought if been quite polite with my request:

"Would be very grateful to anybody who can let me have one ticket for this, will take adult or child ticket as it is for my son's mate who we promised to take without realising he didn't have enough points to get in the first sale, so he is being left at home at the moment!"

But I have now added the word please. :)

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Sorry to ruin the good old moan up, but as an expat, one little thing I like about coming back for a visit is the please, thankyous and sorrys.

In fact over the years, I've found people in shops, particularly the younger staff, more polite than ten years ago.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Sorry to ruin the good old moan up, but as an expat, one little thing I like about coming back for a visit is the please, thankyous and sorrys.

In fact over the years, I've found people in shops, particularly the younger staff, more polite than ten years ago.

That's because most of them are from Eastern Europe :)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Just looked in the Away Tickets wanted section and there are about 7 adverts for tickets ranging from 1 ticket wanted to 3 and not one single person has said the special word....... "PLEASE" maybe it's just me being old fashioned? or is it how it's done these days?

They're Wanted adverts. I'd get over it. Besides, 'please' isn't a magic word. You can ask for something in an absolutely twattish manner; saying 'please' at the end doesn't make it any less twattish.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I feel we have been more than polite and courteous to other Championship sides recently, giving away both goals and points. A case of 'after you Claude'.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Is it OK to have an advert selling a product without saying please, or is that naughty as well?

Saying please in the real world, is of course a pleasant thing to do, but why put it in an advert?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I thought if been quite polite with my request:

"Would be very grateful to anybody who can let me have one ticket for this, will take adult or child ticket as it is for my son's mate who we promised to take without realising he didn't have enough points to get in the first sale, so he is being left at home at the moment!"

But I have now added the word please. :)

This is a perfectly acceptable and nicely worded request; adding a 'please' is redundant. Manners are about far more than so called magic words.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Buster is still doing alright spending time between Bulgaria and his Lindon Houseboat. I don't think he is planning to get back on stage but please correct me, if wrong. Also excuse me for wasting your time and thank you.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I was at the checkout in Sainsbury's once and the assistant hadn't said please or thank you all the way through scanning my shopping. At the end I said to him "Don't you know the words please and thank you?" He grunted "whaatt?" I repeated what I had said at which point a supervisor came over and asked if I had a problem. I said that I was trying to ask the assistant whether he knew the words please or thank you as he didn't use them often. She didn't seem impressed by my asking which says it all really, but the till assistant had gone a strange shade of crimson.

I am always polite, and get annoyed when others are rude.

So, during a transaction which presents just one opportunity to say please (that'll be X pounds please, thank you) and possibly not even that if you use a card before being asked (would you... oh, ok... Thank you), I'm intrigued as to what you were expecting.

Having not met that expectation, you respond by being extremely patronising. Dead f*cking polite. The till assistant when crimson, embarrassed by how rude some customers are.

I'm assuming of course your patronising comment was on the back of repeated efforts to engage the cashier in friendly conversation. You'd already asked how their day was, apologised for the heavy box of beers they'd had to man-handle over the scanner, thanked them for facilitating your shopping experience late in the evening or at the weekend so that it was convenient for you.

Manners go both ways during that transaction and in my experience most customers (and I'm guilty of doing it myself at times) ignore the cashier completely and are equally if not more guilty of disrespect.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
As our society has become quicker and quicker, everybody rushing everywhere at 100mph and we have become more selfish and insular, so some of our manners have started to disappear.
It is commonplace. Rubbish thrown casually in the street, with the " someone else will clear it up " attitude. Lazy speech. Kids growing up and not being corrected by their parents and ending up with speech impediments...not being able to say their ' r's ' or their th's. Foul language going uncorrected. Kids throwing bicycles down on pavements immediately outside shops so you have to climb over them ( it is too much effort to stand them up ) As highlighted...please and thank you is more of a surprise these days than the norm.
A lot of respect has disappeared from society. It is too much trouble to be polite. Thats old fashioned. I'm in a hurry, get out of my way.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am sure many mainstream supermarkets have it in their training criteria that being rude and ignorant to customers will get them pay rises / promotion! I appreciate some individuals are naturally polite but sadly from my (and your's by the looks of things!) experience most come across with an attitude of "think yourself lucky I'm serving you"

Like you I always add the "please" and "thank you" for those that can't be bothered, it's a waste of time as they just look at you like your an alien!!

You need to shop in Waitrose.

Their recruitment policy at our local store is clearly exceptional. Every single member of staff is unfailingly well presented, and courteous.

(Most of them are 18 year old blondes, too, but that actually isn't the point I'm making...)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You need to shop in Waitrose.

Their recruitment policy at our local store is clearly exceptional. Every single member of staff is unfailingly well presented, and courteous.

(Most of them are 18 year old blondes, too, but that actually isn't the point I'm making...)

You may have problems at the new Waitrose by the Dogs. They have kept on a number of staff recruited by the Coop management. :smile:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You may have problems at the new Waitrose by the Dogs. They have kept on a number of staff recruited by the Coop management. :smile:

You are spot on, with that.

Our Waitrose went on a site that once housed a small Alldays on a part of it. Waitrose kept on 3 or 4 of their staff, as was the right thing to do. Waitrose has been open about 8 years, and you can STILL tell who the Alldays ones are, to this day.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i find very few people have manners these days and acts of common courtesy both in business and personal matters are few and far between.

hope this helps answer your question.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
i find very few people have manners these days and acts of common courtesy both in business and personal matters are few and far between.

hope this helps answer your question.

Then f****** leave Sydney you winging Pommie b*****d before we show you what rude is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here