Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are bladed boots dangerous?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yes. Undoubtedly as Fergie used to go on about years ago - especially after Rooney famously suffered a similar gash to Ramirez against Fulham. In that case, Rodallega took the ball first and couldn't avoid contact with the United striker's leg when he arrived late. Sound familiar? Wasn't even a free-kick incidentally as - surprise, surprise - it turns out players can sustain cuts accidentally.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Calde's boots have studs & blades. Someone won a pair in an auction at the recent fans dinner, so I was able to look at them closely.
I can't fell you what the other players have.

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
And- is the same check made for the starting 11 before they take the field?

Yes should be made as they leave the dressing room, cant believe that there should be any issues at this level, the players only use a of pair
of boots for a handfull of games

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I remember as a kid playing in a Cubs game and 2 players going for a ball together. Our striker ended up with a massive gash almost from knee to ankle on the side of his shin, & being rushed to hospital with the manager holding the 2 sides of his leg together. That was back in the mid 80's when studs were the only option, but it was just an unfortunate accident which could happen with either style of boot tbh. I don't think either are any more dangerous than the other once the stud or blade has been roughed up a bit from hard ground / walking on concrete etc.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
No blades in 1981.
And this is how a real man reacts to a tiny nick to the leg. No oxygen, just looking to blame anyone nearby.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Yes. Undoubtedly as Fergie used to go on about years ago - especially after Rooney famously suffered a similar gash to Ramirez against Fulham. In that case, Rodallega took the ball first and couldn't avoid contact with the United striker's leg when he arrived late. Sound familiar? Wasn't even a free-kick incidentally as - surprise, surprise - it turns out players can sustain cuts accidentally.

Believe Fergie actually banned all United players from wearing blades, which I agree with. I think there probably needs to be some decent research on the subject from an independent body on the subject, just to see how much more of a threat than regular studs, or if they're at the same level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here