Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are AMERICAN owners POISON to a club ?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'd be more inclined to think that bad owners are poison for a football club rather than point at a specific nation.

There are plenty of examples of lunatic foreign owners (Cellino etc.) but of the current top 4 teams in the league only one (Spurs) is owned by an Englishman so some must have at least a small idea as to what they're doing...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'd be more inclined to think that bad owners are poison for a football club rather than point at a specific nation.

There are plenty of examples of lunatic foreign owners (Cellino etc.) but of the current top 4 teams in the league only one (Spurs) is owned by an Englishman so some must have at least a small idea as to what they're doing...

Spurs are registered in the Bahamas, owned by a tax exile.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

You can have twenty brilliantly run football clubs and three will get relegated. You can have twenty dismally-run clubs and four will qualify for the champions league. I agree this is a pithy statement, but it is my favourite example of how football clubs differ from the real world

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Is there one American OWNED English team that has been a success ? It seems whenever a YANK buys a club they go into a DECLINE, Liverpool swopped one bunch of clueless YANKS for another, Fulham have been DOWNHILL ever since Khan ROCKED up, the Glazers have RUINED Manchester United, Sunderland have done NOTHING and look to be going DOWN, even Arsenal with their Yank part owner have been UNDER achieving for years.

If I supported a team that was thinking of SELLING out to American owners I would be PETRIFIED about the future.

Why are Americans so USELESS when they get involved with ENGLISH clubs ?

I think John Berlyson funds The Millwall Debt. OK the amounts involved are not anywhere near the levels at Villa or Liverpool or Man Utd but he does continue to invest and allow them to operate without fear of Administration

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You can have twenty brilliantly run football clubs and three will get relegated. You can have twenty dismally-run clubs and four will qualify for the champions league. I agree this is a pithy statement, but it is my favourite example of how football clubs differ from the real world

You can have a government elected by the voting system and have Jeremy Hunt ending up as Health Secretary.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

If they continue to be dismal, they'll eventually dwindle to having one early rounds CL place - that is, assuming the current system doesn't change. This is why Scotland lost their second.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If they continue to be dismal, they'll eventually dwindle to having one early rounds CL place - that is, assuming the current system doesn't change. This is why Scotland lost their second.

Aren't English clubs protected from this? I thought they had special status (like Spain, Italy and Germany), have I got that wrong?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Aren't English clubs protected from this? I thought they had special status (like Spain, Italy and Germany), have I got that wrong?

Still based on coefficient, the only protection has been the moderate success British clubs have achieved, which has been dwindling last few years and a couple more poor turnouts will result in PL losing an automatic to Italy. Though this season they seem to be doing alright.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Richard Bevan mentioned it at an LMA conference in 2011.

No one has said anything publicly, and in theory the FA could veto such a proposal, but we do now have 14 foreign owned clubs in the Premier League. I have been advised that US investors are unhappy with the prospect of losing 80% of their income.

From a cash generation perspective anyone putting £200 million into buying a club would want certainty of cash flows, and abolishing relegation.

I appreciate that there would be in theory more 'nothing' matches in the PL, but suspect that Champions League places would be allocated along something similar to Rugby League playoffs such as

Top three qualify automatically.

next seven places are in a play-off

7th v 10th (Match A)
8th v 9th (Match B) (one legged games)

Winners of match A plays 6th place team (Match C) , winner of match B plays 5th place team (one leg) (Match D)

Winners of Match C and D play each other

Winners then play 4th place team at Wembley or over two legs for final Champions League place.

This would keep the interest going for 14 or 15 clubs trying to get into the top 10 places, and Sky would cream their jeans over the prospect.

If it sounds far fetched, the big clubs in the ECA are presently campaigning for changes to Champions League entry, so that 'Big' clubs are never relegated from the competition.

With our current system of independent clubs you'd still end up with an underclass though. One of the reasons the NFL works so well is that all the teams (which are genuine franchises) are considered equal. The 'Draft' system for allocating young players is specifically geared so that the clubs who haven't done so well get the pick of the new players coming into the league; in other words teams can't just sign who they like. Can you see that catching on with our clubs 'devil take the hindmost' mindset?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Spurs are registered in the Bahamas, owned by a tax exile.

Indeed. Isn't it the case that hardly any Premier League clubs have UK ownership these days? I seem to recall some article recently on the subject. In addition to that, certain clubs- as I remember it, Bournemouth were one of them- were distinctly cagey about giving out information relating to their ownership as well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With our current system of independent clubs you'd still end up with an underclass though. One of the reasons the NFL works so well is that all the teams (which are genuine franchises) are considered equal. The 'Draft' system for allocating young players is specifically geared so that the clubs who haven't done so well get the pick of the new players coming into the league; in other words teams can't just sign who they like. Can you see that catching on with our clubs 'devil take the hindmost' mindset?
Not to mention the salary cap and seeded league games for the following season.
Next season the current Superbowl champions Denver, will on paper at least, have the hardest league season.
While the Tennessee Titans will have the easiest schedule.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

True, but we have an underclass at present in many respects.

Only 3 teams have won the Premier League in the last 13 years, had it not been for owner funding, I suspect it would have been just one club too.

This season, with the success of Leicester to date, has been great, but one swallow doesn't make a summer (although it does make a jolly good night out).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well that showed me!

Does that mean that they'd count as foreign-owned?

Joe Lewis was born in England, but chooses not to pay taxes there, and stiffed the UK taxpayer for at least a billion in 1992 by betting against the pound.

He is no friend of this country, or football, for that matter.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

That's the Eurovison you're thinking of!

England has been losing coefficient for a while now and without a win in either tournament in the next while could lose a spot I suspect.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Joe Lewis was born in England, but chooses not to pay taxes there, and stiffed the UK taxpayer for at least a billion in 1992 by betting against the pound.

He is no friend of this country, or football, for that matter.
Huh, now makes sense that Spurs fans never talk about their owner.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's the Eurovison you're thinking of!

Marvellous. Well, the two competitions do have something in common, we haven't won either for a number of years and are not likely to in the future

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here