Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Archbishop of Canterbury

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
what a prick

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It is just the next stage in a long slippery slope.....

Not really, Jewish courts have existed for many years in this country.

They are only applicable if both parties are of the same religion and agree to go there.

UK law already has some kind of provision for it apparently.

I really would't worry - put it this way, it aint going to affect you or me.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Like his predecessors, he really is a stupid man.

As far as Sharia Law ... this is Britain, we have British Law ... you want Sharia Law? Go back to where you came from and make it quick!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Like his predecessors, he really is a stupid man.

As far as Sharia Law ... this is Britain, we have British Law ... you want Sharia Law? Go back to where you came from and make it quick!

Again, this is a complete misunderstanding I'm afraid.

It's a ridiculous statement to make - because it will inevitably be misunderstood, misinterpreted and turned into something that people will feel threatened by.

The Archbishop should know better.

Just as ridiculous are the comments of Tory MP, Mark Pritchard:- "The archbishop should be standing up for our Judeo-Christian principles that underpin British criminal law that have been hard fought for".

Modern criminal law should be based on secular principles of civil justice. Neither the wrath of an Old Testament God, nor the Christian principles of love and forgiveness strike the right chord for today's society.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Its the latest cliche round there, but so appropriate: this is SHITHOUSE idea.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
UK law already encourages people to sort out disputes between themselves without it going to court (unless they breach criminal laws)

If two people want to sort something out in their "church" what's the problem ?

It's already taking place.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE !!!!!!

this is england!!! i enjoy our multi cultural society but if i go to another country i respect their laws and their cultures and i expect people in this country to do the same.

Its a controversial subject, especially with so many different cultures now living here, but the crux of it all is the fact that they are living here. if they want to live by the laws in the own countries/religions then they should hav stayed in their own countries

UK law already encourages people to sort out disputes between themselves without it going to court (unless they breach criminal laws)

If two people want to sort something out in their "church" what's the problem ?

It's already taking place.

Hence the pointlessness of the Archbishop's comments.

There are many different areas where adherance to a special set of "rules" is common. Brighton and Hove Albion, for example, accept the right of the football authorities to suspend players who have received five yellow cards.

Trotster

Jul 9, 2003
Threshers
Does that mean I can apply for one of them sharia mortgages - where you dont have to pay interest?

One rule for one and all that

if they want to live by the laws in the own countries/religions then they should hav stayed in their own countries
This comment perfectly illustrates what a buffoon the Archbishop is making of himself.

I have no doubt that Presbyterians live by the rules that the Presbyterian Church lays down for its members.

There's nothing wrong with that, even though those rules aren't enshrined in "the law" as the rest of us understand it. Presbyterians aren't going to be slung out of the country for obeying their own rules.

The call for people to "stay in their own countries" is exactly what the Archbishop has provoked. This can only damage inter-community relations and it's why he should never have made his comments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here