Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Apple TV

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
We have one (obvs).

A lot of what it does can be done with our Sony Smart TV, but that's a few years old now and I guess for what is essentially a computer, it's under-powered, so it's a bit sluggish and the UI isn't particularly pleasant.

The AppleTV on the other hand is very slick indeed, so we use it for iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube. BT Sport is the only sports subscription service we have so I can Airplay to the AppleTV from my phone or an iPad to watch that. We can do the same with our MacBooks if there's something you want to share more widely, which is better than trying to get multiple people to cram round a laptop screen.

It also picks up our Mac Photos library and will use the photos if finds as a screensaver of sorts, which sounds quite an uninteresting/useless feature but I'll often stop and look at some photos it's showing from the dim distant past that I'd otherwise probably never look at.

We'll also occasionally rent a new-fish film directly from Apple if we're in a "what do we want to watch?" kind of mood. It's good to be able to browse and start watching something within a few seconds.

Finally, there are are a few games and other apps on there we use too.
What is a new-fish film...?...this new techno age is clearly bypassing me!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
What is a new-fish film...?...this new techno age is clearly bypassing me!
This is good (y)
s-l400.jpg

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Jake Gyllenhaal and Ruth Negga have been announced as the leads in Apple+ TVs forthcoming Presumed Innocent.

Inspired by Scott Turow’s courtroom thriller, Presumed Innocent tells the story of a horrific murder that tears apart the Chicago Prosecuting Attorneys’ office when one of its own is suspected of the crime.

A Hollywood movie came out in 1990 starring Harrison and Greta.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We have one (obvs).

A lot of what it does can be done with our Sony Smart TV, but that's a few years old now and I guess for what is essentially a computer, it's under-powered, so it's a bit sluggish and the UI isn't particularly pleasant.

The AppleTV on the other hand is very slick indeed, so we use it for iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube. BT Sport is the only sports subscription service we have so I can Airplay to the AppleTV from my phone or an iPad to watch that. We can do the same with our MacBooks if there's something you want to share more widely, which is better than trying to get multiple people to cram round a laptop screen.

It also picks up our Mac Photos library and will use the photos if finds as a screensaver of sorts, which sounds quite an uninteresting/useless feature but I'll often stop and look at some photos it's showing from the dim distant past that I'd otherwise probably never look at.

We'll also occasionally rent a new-fish film directly from Apple if we're in a "what do we want to watch?" kind of mood. It's good to be able to browse and start watching something within a few seconds.

Finally, there are are a few games and other apps on there we use too.
Can you Airplay anything which you can watch on an iPad to the Apple TV? I’m woefully behind on this sort of thing but looking to buy a new tv set up when I move apartment shortly.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can you Airplay anything which you can watch on an iPad to the Apple TV? I’m woefully behind on this sort of thing but looking to buy a new tv set up when I move apartment shortly.
It's kinda been answered above. Stuff like YouTube etc can be AirPlayed easily, but I believe Sky block this from happening with their app.

However, my post you quoted is quite old now and things have moved on for us...

We changed our TV a little while back and we haven't used our AppleTV box since as everything we want - including YouTube, iPlayer Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and, yes, AppleTV itself - is available natively on the TV, and if you are buying a new TV I'd be amazed if you don't find the same.

We can still Airplay or Chromecast stuff to the TV if we wish - nothing extra is required to be plugged into the TV. For example, sometimes I'll have a YT video on my phone that I want others to see, so it's nicer to just flick it over to the TV than crowd around a small phone.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's kinda been answered above. Stuff like YouTube etc can be AirPlayed easily, but I believe Sky block this from happening with their app.

However, my post you quoted is quite old now and things have moved on for us...

We changed our TV a little while back and we haven't used our AppleTV box since as everything we want - including YouTube, iPlayer Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and, yes, AppleTV itself - is available natively on the TV, and if you are buying a new TV I'd be amazed if you don't find the same.

We can still Airplay or Chromecast stuff to the TV if we wish - nothing extra is required to be plugged into the TV. For example, sometimes I'll have a YT video on my phone that I want others to see, so it's nicer to just flick it over to the TV than crowd around a small phone.
Thank you. It would seem I have some homework to do before getting a new telly.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thank you. It would seem I have some homework to do before getting a new telly.
From an available streaming services perspective, as well as an AirPlaying/casting perspective, it will probably only be cursory.

I think you'll find any new TV now will have all the streaming services available to it, as well as being capable of both AirPlay and Chromecast. Essentially all new TVs are just oversized Android tablets, so have full access to all Android apps, which includes all the streaming services.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Really glad to see this thread pop up! Sorry for the long winded build up!
Have been pondering on whether to buy an AppleTv thingy. (I have a macbook and we all have Iphones and Ipads)
Really dont watch TV that much. Have a firestick in the TV downstairs and can use Netflix, youtube etc on it. Dont have a sky account. Think I bought the firestick to replace using sky about 5 years ago. Not unhappy with what it does. Have a Panasonic Blue Ray player and Home Cinema thing that doesnt want to work with this so just sits on the shelf.
We also had a Pulse curve stereo in the kitchen. Sound was amazing but the technology is now fairly obsolete. No streaming etc and they dont make them anymore. Bought a homepod to replace and the sound is ok especially for the price.
Upstairs in our bedroom we have a fairly new TV but it keeps dropping out of wifi and never got round to sending it back, so again just another ornament.
Just bought a replacement for this and have promised daughter she can have the old one in her room and will put a firestick in it to get round the wifi problem (I hope).
Also have a homepod in our bedroom.
So... You cant play a "normal" tv through the homepod but I assume you could using the appletv app on the tv. Not overly bothered about the sound on the tv upstairs just wanted to use the homepods to their full capability. Also thinking of getting better sound on main TV downstairs but again , my understanding is can only use the homepods through appletv. Was going put firestick from downstairs in small tv upstairs for daughters room and replace it downstairs with either another firestick (which does pretty much everything we need) and get a soundbar (probably a Sonos) or get an appletv box and a couple of homepods to create the same effect as a homebar. But reading some forums it sounds a bit of a pfaff and not really what they are designed to do. Also, I assume, if we had an appletv box downstairs we could use the app on the new tv upstairs and play through the homepod?
I hope this all makes sense!
So just looking for some advice on what to do!
Buy 2 homepods and appletv for downstairs or another firestick and a soundbar?
Thanks to anyone whos actually made it this far and extra points if you actually understand what it is Im after.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sky had a free offer for Apple TV+ on Sky Q which we took, but it buffers a lot while watching, unlike Prime, Netflix, Disney+ etc on the same Sky box. Does anyone have any suggestions for improving this? I've looked at the forums, performed the resets, nothing so far has improved it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry I'm being so lazy I can't even be bothered to look in this thread for the answer:-

Can you share the Apple TV log in, a la Netflix? (Which they say they're stopping soon)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Sorry I'm being so lazy I can't even be bothered to look in this thread for the answer:-

Can you share the Apple TV log in, a la Netflix? (Which they say they're stopping soon)
It’s your iCloud log in so if you’ve got an iPhone or iPad there’s a lot of your info available by sharing the log in. So yes you can but advisable only for people you know and trust very much.

If you’re an Android user though then there’s a lot less at stake.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It’s your iCloud log in so if you’ve got an iPhone or iPad there’s a lot of your info available by sharing the log in. So yes you can but advisable only for people you know and trust very much.
Thanks, I'll just be adding it to my firestick.

Netflix is doing nothing at the moment, but I cant just stop that without offering up an alternative or else the freeloading scum (extended family) will get titsy.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Thanks, I'll just be adding it to my firestick.

Netflix is doing nothing at the moment, but I cant just stop that without offering up an alternative or else the freeloading scum (extended family) will get titsy.
If you're just signing in to the Apple TV app on a firestick that wouldn't give them access to the rest of your cloud. Apparently up to six devices can stream from the same accout at a time. I've signed into the app on my parents' firestick so they can watch my movies/apple tv+ without any issue on my own devices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here