[Misc] Apple to abandon the headphone jack?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
On the general Apple front, big fan since 2006. However, I have to say the latest MacBook Pro doesn't feel of the same quality as the one I bought in 2010. Keyboard comparatively is flimsy and not a great feel to it and I've been surprised to see the spinning wheel a few times even though I upgraded the RAM at purchase. One or two things recently have made me think I'll look elsewhere - until I use the work PCs and remember how complicated they are with all the conflicting software etc that grinds them to a halt. Was quite impressed with my little Nexus 7 for a while too until a software upgrade killed it completely.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
There is talk of them integrating that technology into USB-C which would be an all encompassing port - monitors, drives, audio, power, all could go through it. Thunderbolt hasn't really taken off despite it being superior to USB 3.0.

To be honest, I don't know anything about USB-C.
Would that be universal/cross-format or Apple only?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
To be honest, I don't know anything about USB-C.
Would that be universal/cross-format or Apple only?

Universal. Potentially a new standard one connector does all. I will add this is not an exclusive Apple development. AMD, Intel, Microsoft all contributing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Optical too?

Intel are talking of developing Thunderbolt 3 40Gps that will have the same connector as the USB-C and be compitable that can include an optical cable. For most small offices / homes, an active copper cable will give you the same speeds over a certain length, it is only when you need bigger distances that the optical would come into play.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
Interesting article, subjective of course, but the point that it is only relatively recently that phones had standard headphone jacks - Nokia, Samsung all had their own unique sockets for quite sometime...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35253398

And it was terrible. You inevitably lost or broke the adapter. I can recall the sheer joy when I bought a Sony Ericsson with a proper headphone jack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports