Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Apple to abandon the headphone jack?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Just another route for Apple to shackle its consumers base into overpriced tat. I remember reading a review of the Dre beats, or whatever they were, and how crap they were.

Awful headphones, treble sound poor and far too bassy.

Problem if Apple do go wireless for the IPhone 7 then I will need to get a Bluetooth converter for my wired Bise headphones and FLAREAUDIO earpieces.

TNBA

TTF

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
You can guarantee that there would be 3.5mm > Lightning adaptors.

Of course... £40 each from the Apple Store.

Ditched Apple after my 4S started mis-behaving and a quick google search revealed lots of people had also suddenly started having the same problem (time to upgrade anyone?)
Absolutely not sorry to have ditched all the undelete-able bloat-ware (with no way to increase memory), lockdowns and other more petty annoyances.

Sad to see the Samsung Galaxy S6 is starting to follow Apple with a sealed unit and £50 for extra memory that would cost <£5 as an SD card.

All that said, getting rid of the headphone jack is actually a step forward IMHO. Wireless induction charging and bluetooth would allow for a completely sealed, waterproof, dustproof unit.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Love these Jabra wireless headphones. Not so expensive either. It suits me down to the ground.. Solid build. Even a socket for a cable if your battery runs out.

Attachments

• jabra-red-1.jpg
    jabra-red-1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 216

Dec 29, 2011
Another money grabbing move by Apple to force their drones into buy more expensive equipment from them. I have a 4s and will be going to an Android after it inevitably breaks. Never has a company openly cared so little for it's customers and received such massive profits.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Another money grabbing move by Apple to force their drones into buy more expensive equipment from them. I have a 4s and will be going to an Android after it inevitably breaks. Never has a company openly cared so little for it's customers and received such massive profits.

Each to their own of course, but I've had amazing support from Apple.
Instant phone replacements on two occasions and 24 hour customer support (phone/chat) if needed for my Mac or Phone.

I wouldn't have had any of that during my year affair with Motorola.

I'll happily concede that the products are overpriced though - hence the massive profits.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Love these Jabra wireless headphones. Not so expensive either. It suits me down to the ground.. Solid build. Even a socket for a cable if your battery runs out.

I have these too. Only use them at home though. Have some discreet in ear ones when out and about.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
If they do it... and it's a big IF... It won't be the end of the world. There will be adapters and sound quality will be better on the most used music player. Which can never be a bad thing right?

It kinda reminds me of when everyone lost their minds before they adopted the lightning connector, or when they stopped adding CD drives to MacBooks, or when they ditched firewire, or when they switched to USB-C... The industry needs someone to kick them up the arse. Apple seems to be fairly good at doing that IMO.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's a tough one, but it might be a deal breaker for me. Although I am definitely in the Apple camp (1 macbook, one macbook pro, one iPad and my third iPhone) I use my phone regularly to listen to music (since my trusty 120gig iPod went to silicon heaven) and the lack of a 3.5m jack is a pain.

Can anyone recommend some decent bluetooth head/earphones? Ideally not the ones that make you look like a tosser. Also, how much does the bluetooth sap the battery life?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It's a tough one, but it might be a deal breaker for me. Although I am definitely in the Apple camp (1 macbook, one macbook pro, one iPad and my third iPhone) I use my phone regularly to listen to music (since my trusty 120gig iPod went to silicon heaven) and the lack of a 3.5m jack is a pain.

Can anyone recommend some decent bluetooth head/earphones? Ideally not the ones that make you look like a tosser. Also, how much does the bluetooth sap the battery life?

If you're after in-ear ones, the Jaybird X2s seem to get really decent reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LObJOc5u7sY

D

Deleted member 22389

I was already to go Mac and i had saved the money for an apple G5 pro tower, then apple went over to intel processors and linux suddenly became a lot more usable so i stuck with that. That was a good few years back. As for jack it reminds me about apple soldering in the memory so you couldnt upgrade the machine.

Last edited by a moderator:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps it is because they have problems with them. as my local repair man old me wife when she had a problem " it is probably the headphone jack we have to replace these very often " and he was right it was.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
As ever, great for Apple, sh*t for consumers, it's all well and good saying we can buy some headphones with a lightening connecter but realistically, how many people actually never user their headphones with a non apple device? On a plane, at work etc etc, and given then no-one else uses lightening connections, you're going to need two sets, or expensive adaptors. Or be prepared to look like a knob wandering round with a blue tooth over ear set......

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As for jack it reminds me about apple soldering in the memory so you couldnt upgrade the machine.
Unbelievable. How can customers like a company than so blatantly takes the pee out them?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Perhaps it is because they have problems with them. as my local repair man old me wife when she had a problem " it is probably the headphone jack we have to replace these very often " and he was right it was.
So maybe Apple should address that problem. Or are we saying that's it's not possible for apple to make a headphone jack work on a device costing several hundred pounds?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here