Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apple ditches the headphone socket

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I struggle with these myopic views. I couldn't say "I would never use X" where X could be an Android phone, Windows computer or the Indian takeaway down the road I don't like. Hopefully I have a fair few years life ahead where any of those things may become the compelling purchases they're not today. If they do, I'll buy.

Probably, but it's not an Apple thing. Flagship Android phones, at least the Samsungs I looked at recently, were comparatively priced.

I'd also point out that the new iPhone is more powerful than many laptops: http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/09/14/geekbench-android-a10 These things we carry around in our pocket are very powerful computers in their own right.

I wouldn't say never, but after several years of both I prefer Android. Agree re processing power - but for loads of people it's unnecessary. I'm not at the tech-savvy end of the market so don't have the sane desire to constantly upgrade when a flashier this or that comes out that can do something I almost certainly won't use anyway......

Re price, completely - it was a general observation not an Apple-specific one. At the risk of contradicting myself I think my last upgrade was close to the same price as the equivalent Iphone anyway (but with different features that appealed to me).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's possible to buy the 128 and 256 gig versions in store up here in the North of the 7, no signs of the 7 plus.

I'm thinking of offering to pay in cash, see if they will give me a discount, as that way they can stick the money somewhere secret and avoid paying any tax on the sale.....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I struggle with these myopic views. I couldn't say "I would never use X" where X could be an Android phone, Windows computer or the Indian takeaway down the road I don't like.

I trust the above statement EXCLUDES supporting Crystal Palace?

Slightly OT I'm testing out a Windows Surface Book laptop/tablet hybrid at present. Costs a fortune but it looks great (taking a leaf out of the MacBook Pro approach), very sexy hinge mechanism for disconnecting and reversing the screen, and the stylus is the best I've used to date, but Windows 10 is an abomination as it's not sure what to do in tablet mode, and consequently freezes all the time.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I trust the above statement EXCLUDES supporting Crystal Palace?

Slightly OT I'm testing out a Windows Surface Book laptop/tablet hybrid at present. Costs a fortune but it looks great (taking a leaf out of the MacBook Pro approach), very sexy hinge mechanism for disconnecting and reversing the screen, and the stylus is the best I've used to date, but Windows 10 is an abomination as it's not sure what to do in tablet mode, and consequently freezes all the time.

There are very few 'nevers', but one is clearly that I will never support another football club. I guess I should caveat that by suffixing 'as long as Brighton & Hove Albion exist'. Even if they didn't, Crystal Palace are the one club I can guarantee I would not transfer my allegiance to!

I guess I can see the appeal in the convertible laptop/tablet thing which a few PC manufacturers do, but then I recall that I don't touch our iPads from one month to the next, so I'm happy to stick with my MacBook Air.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There are very few 'nevers', but one is clearly that I will never support another football club. I guess I should caveat that by suffixing 'as long as Brighton & Hove Albion exist'. Even if they didn't, Crystal Palace are the one club I can guarantee I would not transfer my allegiance to!

I guess I can see the appeal in the convertible laptop/tablet thing which a few PC manufacturers do, but then I recall that I don't touch our iPads from one month to the next, so I'm happy to stick with my MacBook Air.

I would much rather have a MacBook, but need a touchscreen that can deal with writing pages of number crunchiny by hand, so sadly have to make do with the car crash that is W10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here