Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Applauding away supporters

Redundant Gigolo

Jan 19, 2016
Yorkshire to Sussex on a Tuesday night to support the team you love, massive respect for that financial dedication.

Quite happily showed my appreciation by joining in the round of applause.

Precisely this. In equal measure I will laugh and sneer when Reading bring a feeble following for a fixture just down the road.

Tuesday night, decent club, massive trip and expensive to boot in time and money.

Fair play to them.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The ones who applaud probably do it as they realise that away supporters are people just like them who have traveled, possibly a great distance, to support their team. The negativity towards people simply because they don't support the right team is, quite frankly, childish.
Is the correct answer. We're all people, we're all fans of our teams.

I draw the line at palace though, they can **** right off.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Away grounds never (that I can remember) announce the away attendance. I don't mind too much for teams like Huddersfield who bring over 750 on a Tuesday night as that is a great effort, but nobody should clap a pitiful away crowd from the likes of Reading.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Away grounds never (that I can remember) announce the away attendance. I don't mind too much for teams like Huddersfield who bring over 750 on a Tuesday night as that is a great effort, but nobody should clap a pitiful away crowd from the likes of Reading.

I have occasionally heard the away attendance at other grounds, which saved me from having to search Twitter for it, on the way home.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I don't have a problem with it, but don't do it myself.

I did chuckle last night though at one of our fans in ESU who stood up and gave them the most earnest, heartfelt round of applause I think I've ever seen. It was a bit like this but standing to attention:
giphy.gif

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Opposite for me, I really do not have an issue with it. We are all football fans and a polite clap to Huddersfield for making that long round trip on a Tuesday night rather than being an armchair champions league supporter is fair enough if you ask me.

This. Exactly.

Applauding the away support on a Saturday makes me cringe - well done, you're supporting your team.

But when they've travelled over 200 miles on a Tuesday night when there's alternative viewing on the box, they deserve applause.

Like many of us, having travelled to an evening Northern away game, I know the effort involved!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It makes us look like a bunch of poofs and way to soft :)

Really? I wasn't aware that applauding people was a strictly homosexual activity?

was just wondering how many of those that clap the away support also boo the lads off at half time, light up the phone, and leave early

I applaud the away support, but don't do the others. What do I win? :lol:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Because Reading as a club disgust me.

Personal thing. I take your point. I single them out because I despise them.

Goes back a long way.

So what you're truly looking for is a general sneering and laughing at of the oppo fans if they are supporting a club that you despise. Maybe you should write to the Albion to let them know when you truly despise an oppo team so they can set up that laughing and sneering session early in the match so it satisfies your compulsion.

Redundant Gigolo

Jan 19, 2016
So what you're truly looking for is a general sneering and laughing at of the oppo fans if they are supporting a club that you despise. Maybe you should write to the Albion to let them know when you truly despise an oppo team so they can set up that laughing and sneering session early in the match so it satisfies your compulsion.

I didn't explain my point trying to be logical. its my opinion on this topic and if it offends you then so be it.

I offered my thoughts on this thread. Not sure why you feel the compulsion to be such a pompous little tit.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
was just wondering how many of those that clap the away support also boo the lads off at half time, light up the phone, and leave early

Peculiar thing to be just wondering,Does any or all bother you? For your info.I clap the away support and leave when I want too.However I don`t boo at half time or turn phone light on.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Not sure why you feel the compulsion to be such a pompous little tit.

Because I'm enlightened and have the freedom in my mind at all times to be such a pompous little tit that your attempt at a dig at me doesn't effect me at all and actually makes it more joyful to me that it bothers you so much. Much like your thinking that laughing and sneering at the Reading fans actually bothers them so much. Ahhhh haaaa!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
If people wish to clap then have at it, if not, then don't. Never really got why it deserves more thought than that personally.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I can't quite get my head around it as I was brought up in the days when there was a very different relationship with away supporters. Each to their own though and it doesn't bother me when people clap them. However I'm not sure about the idea that it's appropriate becaus of the distance travelled on a Tuesday night. Most clubs have large numbers of supporters living in and around London which means away turnouts are larger than they would be if everyone were traveling from Yorkshire. I noticed Sky last night praising the Geordies for a large turnout on a Tuesday 10(?) hours from home when a lot of them probably lived less than an hour away (and yup I wasn't at Falmer yesterday as it's too far on a Tuesday night from Suffolk).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here