Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Appealing Toll Charges Incurred By Cloned Car

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I would send them a 'cease and desist' letter and inform them that in future I'll bill for my time. Each email £25, each letter £50. Once they get an invoice, someone has to take notice.
Why would they take notice of a made up invoice? It would absolutely no standing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My car was also cloned last year. I had a penalty warning notice from Haringey Council for driving in a restricted zone, then a few months ago my insurers said they'd been contacted by a 3rd parties insurers, claiming that my car had been involved in an accident in Rochdale. Both claims absolute bobbins, my car would've been at home in Sussex on both dates. I informed Haringey, the DVLA, the police and my insurers. My insurers even sent out an inspector to see if there were any signs of repair or damage from the "accident". That was about 2 months ago, not heard anything since

Screenshot_20230831_151126_Gallery.jpg
I've also since added THIS to the back of my car, and sent a pic to my insurers to say "if the other car doesn't have this on the back, then it ain't me!"

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My car was also cloned last year. I had a penalty warning notice from Haringey Council for driving in a restricted zone, then a few months ago my insurers said they'd been contacted by a 3rd parties insurers, claiming that my car had been involved in an accident in Rochdale. Both claims absolute bobbins, my car would've been at home in Sussex on both dates. I informed Haringey, the DVLA, the police and my insurers. My insurers even sent out an inspector to see if there were any signs of repair or damage from the "accident". That was about 2 months ago, not heard anything since

View attachment 165768
I've also since added THIS to the back of my car, and sent a pic to my insurers to say "if the other car doesn't have this on the back, then it ain't me!"
Can you post the whole picture please - so we can see (and clone) your number plate......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not if you've changed your number plates to someone else's car as well....
But if you are stopped, and your name does not tally with the registration recorded at DVLA (or you are unable to give the name of the owner) surely the officer who has stopped you will be suspicious ?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
But if you are stopped, and your name does not tally with the registration recorded at DVLA (or you are unable to give the name of the owner) surely the officer who has stopped you will be suspicious ?
But why would they stop you? They need a reason to stop any car. Of course you could clone a druggies car with markers on, now that would be bad luck.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But why would they stop you? They need a reason to stop any car. Of course you could clone a druggies car with markers on, now that would be bad luck.
I’m suggesting the only way they will find out the car is cloned is if the plod have reason to stop you for a routine offense like speeding, dodgy indicator, not driving carefully etc.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I had a similar experience with a cloned number plate using the Dartford Crossing. Fortunately the clone had the EU symbol on its number plate which mine didn't, so photographic evidence soon got me off the hook.

However, what disappointed me was a complete lack of interest from Essex police, Sussex police and the DVLA when I tried to report the existence of another car with my registration. Essex even told me to take it up with the Dartford Crossing people, ignoring the fact that I was trying to report a crime rather than avoid paying.
Police get hundreds of reports of cloned vehicles every day. How do you know they weren't interested? They will be going after the clone, not you, so you'd never know what they do.
Plus it takes them about 30 seconds to do a national ANPR search which will confirm or deny to them if there's a clone and if so what area it is in.

Falsification of a vehicle registration mark is a state based offence, not a victim (I.e you) based offence. So it's not like you'd ever find out what they've done about it and thus I can't understand why you think they weren't interested.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

No they don't.

If you're driving a motor vehicle on a road, then a constable in uniform may require you to stop at any time they want to. Furthermore, they have the power to require you to produce your driving licence, certificate of insurance, and confirm your name, address, and date of birth.

Section 163, Road Traffic Act 1988. You're welcome.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
No they don't.

If you're driving a motor vehicle on a road, then a constable in uniform may require you to stop at any time they want to. Furthermore, they have the power to require you to produce your driving licence, certificate of insurance, and confirm your name, address, and date of birth.

Correct, although you don't need to have the documents on you at the time.

Friend of mine was stopped on his motorcycle a few years back. Plod just wanted a chat about being visible as a motorcyclist and handed over a hi vis vest.

Jul 7, 2003
The use of ANPR, speed cameras, etc are where these things often flag up but sadly to the poor person who has no idea their vehicle has been cloned. They then have to prove it wasn't their car involved.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Correct, although you don't need to have the documents on you at the time.

Friend of mine was stopped on his motorcycle a few years back. Plod just wanted a chat about being visible as a motorcyclist and handed over a hi vis vest.

Thank you for informing me I am correct on this subject. I'm very glad to hear it.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Thank you for informing me I am correct on this subject. I'm very glad to hear it.
Given the passive aggressive tone I'm detecting, my post was for other readers of the thread not for you. Hence the additional info about not needing the documents on your person.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No they don't.

Oh dear, no doubt its a typo but surely the failure to produce documents is S164.

Also like many others you have not gone on and referenced S165A, where your failure to immediately produce documents, the vehicle may be seized by the police if they have reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was being driven in contravention of the licence, insurance sections.

So if you don't have your documents with you, you may well have your vehicle seized.

With photocard licences and on line certificates of motor insurance, it is unlikely to happen but the powers are there.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Oh dear, no doubt its a typo but surely the failure to produce documents is S164.

Also like many others you have not gone on and referenced S165A, where your failure to immediately produce documents, the vehicle may be seized by the police if they have reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was being driven in contravention of the licence, insurance sections.

So if you don't have your documents with you, you may well have your vehicle seized.

With photocard licences and on line certificates of motor insurance, it is unlikely to happen but the powers are there.
That Act was written before the days of the internet and so on. You can pretty much find out if a car is insured/taxed and so on immediately now - so they'd be hard-pushed to have 'reasonable grounds'.

In fact - three minutes, my car's ok!

1693757145916.png

1693757162917.png

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

S163 covers the requirement to stop if instructed by a constable in uniform. Which is what the conversation was about. I’m sure Edna didn’t want to bog down the board by covering further sections when it wasn’t needed. But this is NSC so there was bound to be some pedantry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here