Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apologising

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Whilst I have little time for the Sun, alright, a bit of time for any paper that comes up with the headlines 'Diniz in the oven' and 'Swedes 2 Turnips 1', what it printed was briefed to them by an MP and Chief of Police. 1, if not both, of those guys knew what they were saying to be lies whereas Kelvin Mackenzie was crossing his fingers and taking a flyer to sell papers. They for me, are the real villians of the piece. Bismirching the dead in order to take some of the blame off themselves. What a way to behave.

While you're right about the ludicrous briefing the press received, most, if not all papers reported on this matter. However, they wrote it as information being reported from a source.

The Sun, on the other hand, ran it, unchecked and unqualified, as 'THE TRUTH'.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Most, if not all papers reported what they were briefed by the MP and Police Officer on this matter. They wrote it as information being reported from a source.

The Sun, on the other hand, ran it, unchecked and unqualified, as 'THE TRUTH'.

My point is that they were deliberately lying to cover thier own arses and create a perception of events that went on. If they had any sense of shame (which clearly they don't), they'd never have wrongly briefed the papers in the 1st place - That's the source of the villany and without that there is no story.

Thinking back, The Sun was much more powerful than it is now which is easy to forget (before the Internet, let alone social media) and you are right that they had a duty of care to check the facts. Newspapers, however, fall foul of these things all the time. Plebgate was reported as fact in a lot of places. Piers Morgan was done for at the Mirror for the fake abuse pictures and I can't imagine he won't be last person to be sacked because of such things.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My point is that they were deliberately lying to cover thier own arses and create a perception of events that went on. If they had any sense of shame (which clearly they don't), they'd never have wrongly briefed the papers in the 1st place - That's the source of the villany and without that there is no story.

Thinking back, The Sun was much more powerful than it is now which is easy to forget (before the Internet, let alone social media) and you are right that they had a duty of care to check the facts. Newspapers, however, fall foul of these things all the time. Plebgate was reported as fact in a lot of places. Piers Morgan was done for at the Mirror for the fake abuse pictures and I can't imagine he won't be last person to be sacked because of such things.

You're quite right, but the point is that ALL of the flak could have been put their way if they hadn't had a tame newspaper with an unprofessional editor to so willingly do its dirty bidding for them.

The story would have been quite the reverse if the newspaper had stopped to check the facts and say 'Cops and MP attempt to insult the victims of Hillsborough'

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
'Always the victim, it's never your fault' gets ever more true with the passing of time.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
'Always the victim, it's never your fault' gets ever more true with the passing of time.

You don't give a flying f about the facts do you?

Hardly surprising from someone who accused the Albion of 'Political Correctness' for supporting a Cancer charity.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You don't give a flying f about the facts do you?

I care far more for the facts than the majority of people who get so offended on behalf of others about this topic, you being one.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I care far more for the facts than the majority of people who get so offended on behalf of others about this topic, you being one.

Brilliant. The old, well new really, 'people who get offended' line.

The Hillsborough facts have been laid bare for all to see. There are still a few, who chose to ignore them. You are one of them.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Ed Miliband makes himself even more unpopular shocker! Looks weird, sounds weird, is weird... And he pissed on a load of dead scousers. Or he would if he had the chance.

Probably.

I hope the arsegas never carried an advert for focus DIY or any shop trading at the Goldstone retail park...EVER! Or there's another boycott waiting.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Brilliant. The old, well new really, 'people who get offended' line.

The Hillsborough facts have been laid bare for all to see. There are still a few, who chose to ignore them. You are one of them.
You carry on being one of the herd, it suits some people.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Whatever we think about Livepool and its mawkish victimhood I think that everyone could remember that a lot of innocent kids died in Sheffield that day and it was ****ing hideous what Kelvin Mackenzie did afterwards.

I don't have much time for scousers normally but I'm with them on this one. And to think...some of you taking pot shots are parents too. Shame.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Maybe you could share your facts with the rest of us? Remember- facts, not your distorted view on what happened.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
We all up with the Scousers now then? They get a shockingly bad press around the country but I guess now we have an ex "bin dipper" it's all okay now then?

The Spanish know nothing about football and the Netherlands, that's nearish Finland, right?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
We all up with the Scousers now then? They get a shockingly bad press around the country but I guess now we have an ex "bin dipper" it's all okay now then?

The Spanish know nothing about football and the Netherlands, that's nearish Finland, right?

I'm not sure what point you're making. Are you saying that because our new manager played or Liverpool that there is a belief on this board that Hillsborogh and its aftermath is a plausible fiction and that we all believe in scouse infallibility? If so...you're wrong.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I'm not sure what point you're making. Are you saying that because our new manager played or Liverpool that there is a belief on this board that Hillsborogh and its aftermath is a plausible fiction and that we all believe in scouse infallibility? If so...you're wrong.

No, no I am absolutely not saying that. Re-read it. It was heavily sarcastic however

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
I really do wonder at how we, as human beings, can say such sh** as I have read in some posts on this thread.

To label every Liverpool supporter as being martyrs, or bin dippers, even saying they like to play the victim is totally disgusting.

96 people went to a football match, a FOOTBALL MATCH ffs and never came home. Their families were lied to by way of the biggest cover up in the history of British politics or policing. The dead had their good name tarnished and the WORLD was told they were pissed on by their own fans, robbed as well.

Anything else is not the issue here, Heysel has nothing to do with it, that is something totally different.

If we cannot understand, as human beings, that Merseyside cannot forgive the S*n paper for the lies they printed then humanity is sadly missing the point.

For those of you spouting off that they should just let it go or priding the song that it is never their fault: I hope to God you never experience the loss of a family member, children, fathers, sons and then have their good name shat on for 25 years before you discover that it was all bullshit. Will you think oh well never mind then??

You obviously don't realise that you have also been taken as mugs by the lying politicians and the corrupt police that governed you as well and also been lying to you for 25 years.

Still, always the victim eh? Who gives a shit right?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I really do wonder at how we, as human beings, can say such sh** as I have read in some posts on this thread.

To label every Liverpool supporter as being martyrs, or bin dippers, even saying they like to play the victim is totally disgusting.

96 people went to a football match, a FOOTBALL MATCH ffs and never came home. Their families were lied to by way of the biggest cover up in the history of British politics or policing. The dead had their good name tarnished and the WORLD was told they were pissed on by their own fans, robbed as well.

Anything else is not the issue here, Heysel has nothing to do with it, that is something totally different.

If we cannot understand, as human beings, that Merseyside cannot forgive the S*n paper for the lies they printed then humanity is sadly missing the point.

For those of you spouting off that they should just let it go or priding the song that it is never their fault: I hope to God you never experience the loss of a family member, children, fathers, sons and then have their good name shat on for 25 years before you discover that it was all bullshit. Will you think oh well never mind then??

You obviously don't realise that you have also been taken as mugs by the lying politicians and the corrupt police that governed you as well and also been lying to you for 25 years.

Still, always the victim eh? Who gives a shit right?

Absolute spot on. My "bin dippers" reference was only a quote from endless crass comments I have read on here. Sorry if it was mis interpreted but I am too sick of the endless anti Scouse brigade for the sake of it.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Absolute spot on. My "bin dippers" reference was only a quote from endless crass comments I have read on here. Sorry if it was mis interpreted but I am too sick of the endless anti Scouse brigade for the sake of it.

Apology accepted, it is nice to see that you can appreciate the bigger picture here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here