Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apocalypse Now

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Currently on ITV4 and now perhaps the best ever movie scene as the helicoptors approach and attack the village.

Awesome scene IMHO.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Beach Hut said:
Currently on ITV4 and now perhaps the best ever movie scene as the helicoptors approach and attack the village.

Awesome scene IMHO.

Correctamundo.

Have you seen the redx version with the extended scenes with the French immigrants and the bunny girls?

It's up there with Deerhunter, Godfather, Zulu and Weird science as the greatest films ever ever made.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No I haven't but to this day the only other most powerful scene I remember is the Russian Roulette in the Dear Hunter.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Beach Hut said:
No I haven't but to this day the only other most powerful scene I remember is the Russian Roulette in the Dear Hunter.

agree. Although the Godfather with the christening and the murders comes to mind.

As does the Good, the bad and the ugly at the end with the stand off.

Those are all great great films.

The redux version of Apocalypse kind of fills in a few story lines too. wonderful, wonderful films and all with soundtracks that stand by themselves too on their own merits.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The other scene I have always enjoyed was that film with Costner and Connery that escapes me and the shoot out at Grand Central station - was it Goodfellas or am I barking mad ?

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Oh and bar Godfather 3 the first two a legendary.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Beach Hut said:
The other scene I have always enjoyed was that film with Costner and Connery that escapes me and the shoot out at Grand Central station - was it Goodfellas or am I barking mad ?

no it was umm....

untouchables. Trust an italian to bring a knife to a gun fight!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Buzzer said:
no it was umm....

untouchables. Trust an italian to bring a knife to a gun fight!

That's the one - bloody good film

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
Heart of Darkness is a good read. End of Carlitos Way is good too- I think that's Grand Central Station. (could be wrong though! Up The Albion!!!)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Apocalypse Now has some great scenes and the original concept of the film/book is sound with many interesting ideas but taken as a whole Apocalypse Now is a rambling, incoherant, lost movie. Most of the original ideas were swallowed up in a massive ego trip and convoluted perceptions.

While I can appreciate the achievemnet of actually completing the movie many involved in the production admit that the finished product (even the re-dux version) carries none of the weight of the original concept and is further bogged down by the fact that many of the principal cast were so high during the filming that trying to coax a performance that moved the story along was nigh on impossible.

This shows especially in what so many people falsely hail as a magnificent performance from Brando but was in fact a mumbling, off script, bloated, ego driven mess far from the idea the film makers had of Kurtz.

All in all, IMHO, an overrated mess.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
What Nibble said. Honestly don't rate it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Also agree with nibbles. Fine cinematography but a vastly overrated film.

Certainly doesn't deserve to be in the same bracket as The Deer Hunter and some of the other brilliant films in the 'Nam genre.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Got to go wth nibble on this. I've only seen the redux version, but I thought the whole storyline was just far too muddled, I didn't even bother watching the end. It's no Platoon.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Beach Hut said:

I liked that too. Have you been to GCS - its not as big as it looks in the film

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Billy the Fish said:
Got to go wth nibble on this. I've only seen the redux version, but I thought the whole storyline was just far too muddled, I didn't even bother watching the end. It's no Platoon.

A great book, if you are interested in true accounts of Vietnam, is "If I die in a combat Zone" by Tim O' Brian. Just finished reading it. Not overly dramatic or boys' own. In fact, you can see that many of the scenes in A.N and Platoon are sourced from this book, to better effect in Platoon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here