Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apart from the main thing (scoring)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Huddersfield weren't woeful. They were limited coming forward, but set themselves up for a draw and defended stoutly. Sometimes the opposition deserves credit. Ugly Beckham was delivering some EVIL crosses into their box, but they were first to almost everything, kept their shape and toughed it out.

Frustrating for us, but they'll feel they deserved that point and I'd find it hard to argue.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agreed.

Other than Barnes, and Buckley at times, I thought we played well.

If he'd managed to put the ball in the net I'd probably have given Barnes as MOM. Buckley was woeful and lightweight. Bruno was MOM

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That's got to be the most pessemistic analysis I've ever seen. It was a decent performance without be spectacular, we controlled posession from start to finish and should've scored two goals. Good individual performances from El Abd, Upson, Ince, Bridcutt, Kemy, Bruno.

Apart from missing a couple of very good chances what else can you criticize the performance on? :shrug:

Sometimes you play well and don't win, that's football :shrug:

NSC seems to be playing up which gives me a chance to expand on my edited reply. The OP said VERY good. I said average and workmanlike. You said not spectacular so you agree with me. We named the same players as good.

If you only create two good chances against a side as ordinary as Huddersfield and miss them both so embarrassingly you cannot call it a VERY good performance.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Okay, so it worked well against Leicester but the 4-2-3-1 failed from an attacking perspective today. It's just too negative at home against a side like Huddersfield. We need to attack teams like Barnsley and Huddersfield. 1 goal against those 2 in recent weeks is poor. Their keeper didn't even make a save. I hope Garcia can find a style that offers more creation once the injured return.

In the last 5 minutes both sides had a counter attack. They had three men in the box for theirs, we had one for ours...at home... against Huddersfield.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Huddersfield weren't woeful. They were limited coming forward, but set themselves up for a draw and defended stoutly. .

That's going to be every side outside the top 7 this season. Still, when we draw with them as well at least we can admire the nice back heels.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, so it worked well against Leicester but the 4-2-3-1 failed from an attacking perspective today. It's just too negative at home against a side like Huddersfield. We need to attack teams like Barnsley and Huddersfield. 1 goal against those 2 in recent weeks is poor. Their keeper didn't even make a save. I hope Garcia can find a style that offers more creation once the injured return.

Absolutely this

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sexy Pete's distribution scared me at times.

Why? I mean, I thought his distribution wasn't as good as v Leicester, but because he always looked for a short pass rather than some of those sublimely accurate mid-range passes he played v Leicester. How were they scary today?
TBH I don't really remember SP having the ball to distribute.
But I do seem to remember their 'keeper kicking the ball straight into touch 90% of the time.

Possibly not a day for goalies.
Clean sheet and onto the next game, can't ask for much more than that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I wish you all sat around me. Well, except Guinness Boy. It sounds like he already does. (Though on second reading it doesn't sound as critical as the people around me, who were treating the performance as if it made the Barnsley match seem like a classic

The team get nothing but 100% support from me during the game. I save my withering assessments of 0-0 draws as average for NSC.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The team get nothing but 100% support from me during the game. I save my withering assessments of 0-0 draws as average for NSC.

Ok, you can join the others in this thread sitting around me. (Really, I didn't mean anything by that comment, just you were the first to disagree with the OP). After re-reading your post properly, and seeing your other replies, I think I probably agree more with you. It wasn't a great performance, but no way was it deserving of the vitriol from so many people around me.

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
You have to be kidding? Tactics all wrong, finishing woeful. Huddersfield are comfortably the worst team I've seen at the Amex this season. We created two chances.Two. And missed both. Buckley can't play anywhere but right wing (actually think we missed Conway's delivery). Barnes was good apart from when it mattered, Sexy Pete's distribution scared me at times. There were big positives. Bruno (should have been mom), Upson and El Abd excellent, Ince and Brdcutt also. But to call it VERY good is mental. It was average, workmanlike and scrappy.

100% agree with this. What f****n planet are people on? We're at home, against a mid table team who came for a draw. We were s**t going forward, so negative.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
NSC seems to be playing up which gives me a chance to expand on my edited reply. The OP said VERY good. I said average and workmanlike. You said not spectacular so you agree with me. We named the same players as good.

If you only create two good chances against a side as ordinary as Huddersfield and miss them both so embarrassingly you cannot call it a VERY good performance.

The difference is that I sound happy with the performance, your whole post is in a negative tone. If we play like that every week we'll win a lot more than we lose. We were two narrow misses away from it being very good.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The difference is that I sound happy with the performance, your whole post is in a negative tone. If we play like that every week we'll win a lot more than we lose. We were two narrow misses away from it being very good.

It was negative to counter the pant wettingly positive tone of the OP. If we play like that we'll draw every home game remaining.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Our problem was when we attacked it was usually 4vs6. Ince and Bridcutt sat and watched. Who did they think they were marking? Ince shows promise but he still has a lot to develop.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
You have to be kidding? Tactics all wrong, finishing woeful. Huddersfield are comfortably the worst team I've seen at the Amex this season. We created two chances.Two. And missed both. Buckley can't play anywhere but right wing (actually think we missed Conway's delivery). Barnes was good apart from when it mattered, Sexy Pete's distribution scared me at times. There were big positives. Bruno (should have been mom), Upson and El Abd excellent, Ince and Brdcutt also. But to call it VERY good is mental. It was average, workmanlike and scrappy.

If Huddersfield is the worst you've seen this season, then you obviously missed Blackburn, Sheff Weds and Bolton. Hudds were exceptionally well organised and worked their socks off. Vaughan looked dangerous, although thankfully didn't have many opportunities. The no. 38 who came on midway through the second half was a real live-wire. We were, however, a good deal better than them, and with a little luck would have won by a couple of goals. Bruno was spectacularly good today, and Lopez had a really excellent game. I felt Oscar should have been a little more adventurous with his subs, bringing Kaz and Ulloa on a bit earlier, but all in all a very decent performance against a team who knew what to do to get a draw.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm not suicidal tonight after that performance but we didn't make their keeper make one save did we ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here