Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone work for the Inland Revenue?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Particularly those investigating tax evasion.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Yes please.

I think my employer hasn't been paying tax on my wages. Or even if he has, I know I haven't earnt over the tax limit this tax year(I am a student) and either way I am entitled to the money-20% (or whatever) of my wages will make a big difference to me.

Most employers give you payslips. NI and tax is deducted from your gross pay. This employer has never given me a payslip and says he pays the tax and NI on top of what he gives me.

I don't believe him; and even if he does-I am entitled to that money.

If you think your friend can help please PM me his number(or an email address may be easier to explain this)

Last edited:

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
all you need to do is go up the Tax office, if you are in brighton its in upper north street , they are very helpful. you dont need an appoinment just turn up.

fatboy said:
Most employers give you payslips. NI and tax is deducted from your gross pay. This employer has never given me a payslip and says he pays the tax and NI on top of what he gives me.

He's broken the law straight away then. I expect a visit to your local tax office will start the ball rolling. The guy who investigates Corperate tax fraud probably has bigger fish to catch to be honest....

fatboy said:
Yes please.

I think my employer hasn't been paying tax on my wages. Or even if he has, I know I haven't earnt over the tax limit this tax year(I am a student) and either way I am entitled to the money-20% (or whatever) of my wages will make a big difference to me.

I don't believe him; and even if he does-I am entitled to that money.

If you think your friend can help please PM me his number(or an email address may be easier to explain this)

Surely you know what your hourly rate is? If he's been deducting tax from your wages then you could tell by how much you're getting paid, regardless of a payslip. If he says he's paying the tax or whatever but you don't have those deductions then you're entitled to nothing.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Don't hold you breath even if he has broken the law. I worked for a company once that didn't pay tax and NI for any its employees. I worked there for three years and got into real trouble with the Inland Revenue for non-payment of taxes. It was only when I showed my payslips did I get the Revenue off my back. The company carried on employing people and not paying taxes though, one of its employees phoned me a few years later, asking for advice.

The guy who owned the company is still trading: the Revenue weren't interested in taking action against him.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Safeway said:
Your fault for taking a cash-in-hand job. :jester:

It isn't cash in hand, I just get paid cash instead of into my bank. How am I supposed to know he is fiddling the books?

Kylies Stunt Arse said:
Surely you know what your hourly rate is? If he's been deducting tax from your wages then you could tell by how much you're getting paid, regardless of a payslip. If he says he's paying the tax or whatever but you don't have those deductions then you're entitled to nothing.

I get paid a set amount for a shift. Shifts vary in length. When I was 15 they finished when the washing up was done. Now a shift finishes after closes (when I am expected to serve drinks after 11). I have always been paid the same and he has led us to believe he is paying tax on my earnings eg, I get £20 and he pays the 21%(or whatever) to the taxman.

Gwylan said:
Don't hold you breath even if he has broken the law. I worked for a company once that didn't pay tax and NI for any its employees. The guy who owned the company is still trading: the Revenue weren't interested in taking action against him.

I know he got fined 11k for not paying tax on one of the chefs.

Are you planning on leaving the job? I can't imagine you'll keep it if you go to the IR. If you've agreed to work for a set amount per shift then that's all there is to it, you wont get any more out of it even if the IR do get involved because you haven't actually paid any tax.

You need to try and get yourself more money out of him or get another job, going to the IR isn't going to do you any favours, other than to stitch him up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
going to the IR isn't going to do you any favours, other than to stitch him up.

Maybe Fatboy is a vindictive bastard :ohmy:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
Are you planning on leaving the job? I can't imagine you'll keep it if you go to the IR. If you've agreed to work for a set amount per shift then that's all there is to it, you wont get any more out of it even if the IR do get involved because you haven't actually paid any tax.

You need to try and get yourself more money out of him or get another job, going to the IR isn't going to do you any favours, other than to stitch him up.

No, I left. It is only a doss around job in my holidays. Was already pissed off that he had cut down my shifts and not bothered to tell me.

Stitching him up will do if nothing else although it is a shame it has come to that.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I've been working for the inland revenue for the last 20 years, I keep earning the money and the fuckers keep taking it, :angry:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Inland Revenue will treat it confidentially so your previous employers won't know it was you. I assume you didn't get a P60 after 5th April or a P45 when you left. You are legally entitled to a wages slip detailing your gross wages and deductions.

If you got none of these then I believe you will be unlikley to get any rebates usless you can prove your earning. I would assume that your employer kept no records either.

You would have had to earn over £89 a week to be taxed & NI'ed assuming you have no other earning

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
to be fair, on £20 theres not going to be any NI or Tax to pay anyway. Or are you just trying to shaft him?

BrightonFoxDave

Jul 27, 2003
Southwick
Just fill out a form P38(s) mate. That's the one students use to show they're not gonna earn enough tax in a particular tax year. I used to fill em out when I was doing my summer jobs (generally in the Inland Revenue!)

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
beorhthelm said:
to be fair, on £20 theres not going to be any NI or Tax to pay anyway. Or are you just trying to shaft him?

There is when I work there full time. £20 x 12 is enough to be paying tax on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here