Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] anyone up for an OFFICIAL fan boycot of the Brentford boxing day game ???

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The East stand is going to look like it did against Man City last season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No need for an official boycott but there is more chance of me getting to do Salma Hayek and Grace Dent up the Gary live on Channel 4 than me going to the Amex for that.

If I'm not already passed out the After 8s and Cognac will ensure it's in the post.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
No intentional boycott, but in the unlikely event I’m still sober enough to make the game, I doubt I’ll remember sod all about it

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The East stand is going to look like it did against Man City last season.

The whole stadium was the same given seats were arranged for social distancing for that game last season

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
If people don’t want games to be scheduled by the broadcasters they would be better off lobbying the clubs to turn down the tv money. You can’t have one without the other.

There is some truth in that ,but really ? 8 o clock on Boxing night is a God awful time to stage a football match.
If ever there was proof that the authorities don’t give a toss for the fans, this was it.
There has to be a balance struck between the needs of the live fans and the tv audience.
Personally, I think the club might offer a refund to season ticket holders who can’t make it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The pathetic thing is, what kind of saddo neutral is even going to bother tuning in to Brighton v Brentford on Boxing Day evening ? The viewing figures will be DISMAL - nobody outside of BHA and Hounslow will bother with it.

BBC have The Great Sewing Bee Celebrity Christmas Special, then Dunkirk
ITV has The Masked Singer
C4 has that annual Quiz thing

Even Crodo can't pour glitter on that steaming turd, but it'll STILL command the living rooms of the nation ahead of a midtable PL scuffle between two teams nobody else gives a shit about.

That post made me laugh out loud. Much appreciated on this sad day (was glued to R5 all afternoon).

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
There is some truth in that ,but really ? 8 o clock on Boxing night is a God awful time to stage a football match.
If ever there was proof that the authorities don’t give a toss for the fans, this was it.
There has to be a balance struck between the needs of the live fans and the tv audience.
Personally, I think the club might offer a refund to season ticket holders who can’t make it.

I agree with every word. Unfortunately someone was always going to get that slot and it’s us. On your point about refunds I think there is a bigger debate to be had around ticket pricing. Covid lockdowns showed how important fans are to the tv spectacle. Despite this and the vast riches from tv rights we have returned to unchanged ticket prices and the club being unwilling to risk losing a few quid by committing to full away allocations. It’s not just a dig about our club.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I didn't think there was a shittier kick off time than 12:30 on New Years day.
I was wrong

I remember that as a game I didn't make because of remarkable consumption of Armagnac. As I lay quivering under a duvet around 11.30 I distinctly recall thinking that if it was a 3pm kick off I'd make it even if I had to park a tiger on the way.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If people don’t want games to be scheduled by the broadcasters they would be better off lobbying the clubs to turn down the tv money. You can’t have one without the other.

Yes obviously the two only options are accept everything without any complaints or say no to everything.

Or maybe, just maybe, there's a middle road.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes obviously the two only options are accept everything without any complaints or say no to everything.

Or maybe, just maybe, there's a middle road.

There are thousands of roads. Each involve a different trade off between tv money and soul sold. Your middle road would be vastly preferable to me but it would involve less of the drug that football is addicted to, which is cash.

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Well they should imo ... and no rules around what 'can't' means. But they'll say they have no choice but to go with Sky schedule, whilst ignoring the fact that they are getting £2.5m per game or whatever it is

I friggin hate the world of Sky etc TV and what it's done. Stuff like this makes me want to bin my ST and go support Lewes or such like

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Have to wonder if it’s worth having a season ticket. Little point if you can’t go to games because they have ridiculous kick off times.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
good point :D but surely the broadcaster doesnt want its 'product' to look unappealing with half empty stadiums and no atmosphere

It would, if it would prefer to see little ole Bighton (who nobody has heard of) fade away to be replaced in the EPL by a big franchise such as West Bromwitch, Notts Forrest, Darby County, or Sheffield Wensbury.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It would, if it would prefer to see little ole Bighton (who nobody has heard of) fade away

I've heard of Bighton - I've played cricket there. Nice pub on the village green :)

Not sure what they have to do with the PL though.

Re: the OP. Surely it would be more effective to boycott Sky than boycott games. That would be a much more powerful message

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Brighton had an early evening kick off on Boxing Day only three years ago. The ground was full , some trains ran, plenty of coaches and park and rides were in existence to ferry people there probably with greater ease than on Saturday afternoons. . Even Jurgen locadia scored so miracles do happen.
The idea that this is a shocking novelty - it’s not. Sky (and now BT and Amazon) have been scheduling Christmas football for decades. It’s good for their ratings to have multiple evening matches. Bigger audiences.
Even Brighton /Brentford .
The club agree to it, both Brentford and Brighton will work with the police and transport providers to get everyone there and back - including trains - and it will not be , by any stretch , the lowest attendance ever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here