Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anyone tried Pilates?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I know, I know, this isn’t Mumsnet.

However, I’m beginning to have increasingly frequent back issues, largely due to lots of driving, desk work, and then coming home and slouching on the sofa like Jacob Rees-Mogg in the Houses of Parliament.

I can’t bring myself to attempt yoga, as there’s too much mystical baggage that seems to go along with it, and I’m afraid that makes me burst out laughing, so have come to the idea of Pilates as a suitable form of exercise for core strengthening.

Does anyone have any experience with Pilates? Can I start at home watching YouTube videos or do I need to humiliate myself publicly by attending a class from day 1?

This thread is open for responses that are humorous, mildly abusive, and if all else fails even constructive helpful advice and discussion. Thank you.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I recommend yoga and pilates for core strengthening and flexibility. Yoga doesn't have to have any "mystical baggage".

Never been to a class myself. Started with youtube videos but often just do my own routines these days.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I do a couple of classes a week and I am absolutely useless but it has done me a power of good, previous back issues have cleared up completely, I do public classes which my Wife is the instructor for, if you need some more info or advice p.m. me and I am sure Mrs. Wunt be druv can help.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I started fairly recently for exactly the reasons you outlined - back issues, General stiffness and getting old (I’m 46). In particular I started to have back spasms which are quite debilitating. There’s a history of arthritis in my family and at an appointment with my mum about that I asked and he recommended Pilates.

What I’ve done is pay for a block of 10 1:1s (after a trial) to try and build a base (and get myself used to it). I’m about 4 sessions in (one a week), along with exercises she’s given me to do at home, and I haven’t had a single problem. Not a cheap option to do 1:1s by any means but so far I feel money well spent (and cheaper than paying for Physio’s when things go wrong…)

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Thoroughly recommend it. Had sciatica last year, and after physiotherapy I started weekly pilates classes. It’s not difficult, but I’m pain-free now and intend to stay tha way!

Wife and I had afew private sessions with the tutor, so we got to know what we are doing, and she got to know what physical problems we had. Then we went to her group sessions, which are £10 each. I wouldn’t recommend starting from YouTube videos - you’ll need a knowledgeable tutor so you don’t cause any more problems!

You should be able to find ”beginners” groups, so you wont embarrass yourself.

Last edited:

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I do a couple of classes a week and I am absolutely useless but it has done me a power of good, previous back issues have cleared up completely, I do public classes which my Wife is the instructor for, if you need some more info or advice p.m. me and I am sure Mrs. Wunt be druv can help.

That’s a really kind and thoughtful offer, but sadly I’m not only suffering with the back, I’ve also been exiled to South Wales on the outskirts of Cardiff, so suspect the travel will be prohibitive.

If I am able to execute my plan to return from exile, I’ll PM you. Thanks again.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

However, I’m beginning to have increasingly frequent back issues, largely due to lots of driving, desk work, and then coming home and slouching on the sofa like Jacob Rees-Mogg in the Houses of Parliament.

I can’t bring myself to attempt yoga, as there’s too much mystical baggage that seems to go along with it, and I’m afraid that makes me burst out laughing, so have come to the idea of Pilates as a suitable form of exercise for core strengthening.

Does anyone have any experience with Pilates? Can I start at home watching YouTube videos or do I need to humiliate myself publicly by attending a class from day 1?

This thread is open for responses that are humorous, mildly abusive, and if all else fails even constructive helpful advice and discussion. Thank you.
Yep. Tried after constant back problems & was frankly life changing. I didn't keep it up regularly but crucially, mastering the breathing plus some basic yoga stretches still rescues my back 9 times out of ten

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I started Pilates earlier this year when the place my wife goes to started a novice Old Gits class on Tuesday evenings. Throughly enjoyed it and a very supportive environment with a teacher who is taking things gently with us, bless her.

I noticed a significant reduction in aches and pains - and when classes stopped for the summer holidays they were back within a couple of weeks.

Highly recommended.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Strangely enough when the kids were younger i did a weight management program and Yoga on the Wii (fit) with the balance board i have to say YOGA was very good and helped my back a lot. I went from Phoenix fatty to phoenix Flatley very good indeed.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Following some recent backpain, talking about it for a while and finally getting prompted by this thread, Mrs Wz (being an ex instructor of all this type of stuff) has just had be doing some. It certainly seems to have helped. I will continue regularly and see how it goes :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
AAAARRRR!

pirate-treasure-gettyimages-463986973.jpg

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Yes, and it is difficult. Good for you but find any sort of classes really difficult to maintain so stopped going. and I've got no f***ing idea how to breath though my diaphragm, where it is or how I select it. I've bascially very little control over organs I can't see and grab hold of, any even those ones are letting me down these days!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here