Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone thinking Gus maybe wondering why he didnt stay

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Easy to say l know, but with Gus still at the helm l'm convinced we would have won promotion to the promised land this season.

Not a chance, with budget cuts (regardless of what the club have told us IMO) coupled with the injuries he'd have had a meltdown. Anyway wasn't the main bone of contention for him Throwing his toys out of the pram rumoured to be the cut in the budget this season, hence the "hit the ceiling" comments after the playoff defeat.

I'd like to turn your argument around - if Oscar had the backing Poyet did for two seasons I suggest we'd be joining Leicester in having already been promoted.

We'll never know though on either count :smile:

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Not a chance, with the injuries and budget cuts (regardless of what the club have told us IMO) coupled with the injuries he'd have had a meltdown. Anyway wasn't the main bone of contention for him Throwing his toys out of the pram rumoured to be the cut in the budget this season, hence the "hit the ceiling" comments after the playoff defeat.

I'd like to turn your argument around - if Oscar had the backing Poyet did for two seasons I suggest we'd be joining Leicester in having already been promoted.

We'll never know though on either count :smile:

He has had a tough ride with injuries but do you not think Poyet had more pulling power in the transfer market, hence players like Grabban would have been charmed into joining

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
A Sunderland fan on Five Live just said they need a manager with Championship experience when they get relegated; like Billy Davies or even Mick McCarthy.

How about . . . Gus Poyet?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He has had a tough ride with injuries but do you not think Poyet had more pulling power in the transfer market, hence players like Grabban would have been charmed into joining

I also think we probably went the extra mile in wages when Gus was here.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If you do bad things they come back to haunt you. What he did to our club the club that paid his wages for nearly four years was disgusting. He deserves all he his getting at the moment.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
A Sunderland fan on Five Live just said they need a manager with Championship experience when they get relegated; like Billy Davies or even Mick McCarthy.

How about . . . Gus Poyet?

I doubt that he'll still be the manager but he could get them out of the Championship. Probably. Maybe. Oh, who cares.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you do bad things they come back to haunt you. What he did to our club the club that paid his wages for nearly four years was disgusting. He deserves all he his getting at the moment.

Please tell us all that he did in the four years?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
What should have happened is that Gus should have taken the Palace job and Pulis the Sunderland job.

The players at Sunderland would have survived under Pulis and Palace under Gus would have been interesting and he would have had an attack that would have suited his style.

If Palace had gone down under Gus Albion fans would have had the best laugh in years

Feb 14, 2010
To be a great manager you have to deliver at the business end of the season. He failed at Brighton at the business end and now at Sunderland. Not a good reputation to get.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What got me with his interview is he looked totally bereft of ideas, the enormity of the task has finally consumed him. There are similarities with Holloway's demise at Palace.

The point is if you want to engineer a move to a Prem club then you're going to get a shot at a club in trouble. Every new manager in that bottom 7 has taken on something of a shit sandwich. From what the Sunderland fans are saying getting this squad to play football has been beyond 3 managers now. The worry if they go down is that Gus will come back for what he knows, like Ulloa and Buckley.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Ulloa wouldn't be a miss on current form

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Just makes you think that the ceiling comments and the rest of the carry on he created with TB was all so he could have his chance to work in the premier league which he chose to do with Sunderland and look at the outcome. He should have kept his head down after the palace game stuck it out this season and had he not got us up then moved on.

Everyone knew that if a big club came in for him he would go, even TB, and although disappointing I don't think anyone would have begrudged Gus the chance had it happened that way.

He did it the right way by starting his career in the lower divisions and learning his trade, and working his way up, earning a call up to the big time if he couldn't get there with us.......

BUT .........he went about it the wrong way and has ended up at the wrong club with someone elses team, and its all backfired on him.

Shame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here