Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone still upset over team selection midweek....?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I also remember

Yes; also. Because the cup provided additional memories, not competing ones.

getting mullered in the very next round, falling rapidly into the relegation zone. Any win over Man City was far overshadowed by the Great Escape that season.

Not for me. I barely remember the relegation fight (or the mullering). But that's beside the point. We didn't drop into danger because of the cup competition. We did that because we had a poor team and a poor manager.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Allow me to sink your theory.

However, as I've said above, it's not about playing Chelsea for me (I didn't bother with the last Arsenal Cup game for example) but more about diminishing our own chances of a decent Cup run. If anything the Chelsea draw makes me feel less bothered about this as the best chances of progressing involve getting drawn against weaker teams.
OK, Fairy Nuff. Theory sunk - is it the FA Cup where something like alphabetical order makes a difference? (I'm sure it does somewhere!)

Would still rather it was us playing Chelsea than Walsall though!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes; also. Because the cup provided additional memories, not competing ones.

Not for me. I barely remember the relegation fight (or the mullering). But that's beside the point. We didn't drop into danger because of the cup competition. We did that because we had a poor team and a poor manager.

So the cup shock was just a lucky fluke, then.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Allow me to sink your theory.

However, as I've said above, it's not about playing Chelsea for me (I didn't bother with the last Arsenal Cup game for example) but more about diminishing our own chances of a decent Cup run. If anything the Chelsea draw makes me feel less bothered about this as the best chances of progressing involve getting drawn against weaker teams.

View attachment 68123

don't suppose you'd been bothered with drawing Liverpool away in 83 either ???

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Yes, of course.

We made lots of changes from a successful team.

We lost.

Winning today doesn't change that, and we could have won at Walsall AND at Ipswich. I think football rules allow that.

Keep playing the best available. Next we'll be playing " changed " teams against teams below us in league games..................and that way madness lies.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I wasn't upset about the team selection at Walsall, I was upset about the team performance. Dunk, Rosenior, Holla, JFC, Calde, March, Ince, COG were all getting regular first team football last season so it was hardly a team of stiffs or kids. The lack of enthusiasm and interest by most of the team, exemplified by COG who barely broke sweat before ballooning the penalty, was depressing to watch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here