Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone still bank with the COOP?

I can't begin to express my anger about what has happened to the Co-op Bank in the last decade or so.

A bit of personal background to start with ...

My dad (who died in 1982) was head of domestic banking in the organisation and led the bank through a very successful period of expansion and growth that was accompanied by the development of ethical banking that enhanced the reputation of the organisation and set it up for all sorts of positive things that made the bank special.

What has gone wrong is that the bank lost sight of the fact that its strength and USP was always that it provided a straightforward, ethical domestic banking service - uncluttered with any of the fancy notions that characterise the world of speculative investment banking, staffed by over-paid, bonus-focused gamblers, motivated only by the extent to which they personally can get rich.

As a senior executive of the bank, my dad earned a good salary, with no bonuses. His colleagues were committed, skilful people who built up a successful organisation, because they believed in the principles of the Co-operative movement.

All that has gone. And now we have a struggling shambles of a bank that is chasing around trying to correct the mistakes that have been made over the past 15 years or so. It looks quite likely that this struggle will not succeed.

In the meantime, I remain a customer and am very satisfied with the basic domestic banking service that I get. If only they had just kept to that remit.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've got a co-op account as a secondary account. Keep a couple of hundred in it for emergencies.

I often shop at the local co-op; I've always liked them as I had my first job there (saturday boy at the one opposite the Grenadier in Hove from 1978-1979).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
you do know how they got in this mess right? greed got the better of them and they were being run by people who didn't know anything about banking but a lot about the city "entertainment" lifestyle. Coop bank is the reminder to us that alternatives to "big banks" didnt work too well either.
Ah but the big boys were bailed out as they were deemed " Too Big To Fail ". The main banks just seem to lurch from one scandal to another and just keep putting the QE money aside to cover the next tranche of fines and repayments. Not so the Co-op

Sajerz

Feb 6, 2008
Leamington
I have a student account with them and a big overdraft, does this mean there is a chance I won't have to pay it back. Wishful thinking

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Well food wise it is generally overpriced and often poor quality, apart from that as you say, why not?

This has just reminded me, we used to have a Co-Op opposite my student house. I got some chocolate muffins from their as a lady was coming over and I wanted to show I had pushed the boat out. Took one bite and they were up there with the mist bile things I have ever eaten. It was burnt and tasted of soap absolutely horrendous. As a result I stopped shopping there. Whether this is a fair reflection of their quality as a whole or even just their muffins, I do not know.

All I do know is that the girl married me anyway

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I can't begin to express my anger about what has happened to the Co-op Bank in the last decade or so.

A bit of personal background to start with ...

My dad (who died in 1982) was head of domestic banking in the organisation and led the bank through a very successful period of expansion and growth that was accompanied by the development of ethical banking that enhanced the reputation of the organisation and set it up for all sorts of positive things that made the bank special.

What has gone wrong is that the bank lost sight of the fact that its strength and USP was always that it provided a straightforward, ethical domestic banking service - uncluttered with any of the fancy notions that characterise the world of speculative investment banking, staffed by over-paid, bonus-focused gamblers, motivated only by the extent to which they personally can get rich.

As a senior executive of the bank, my dad earned a good salary, with no bonuses. His colleagues were committed, skilful people who built up a successful organisation, because they believed in the principles of the Co-operative movement.

All that has gone. And now we have a struggling shambles of a bank that is chasing around trying to correct the mistakes that have been made over the past 15 years or so. It looks quite likely that this struggle will not succeed.

In the meantime, I remain a customer and am very satisfied with the basic domestic banking service that I get. If only they had just kept to that remit.

always banked with them because they were ethical.............but if all the other bits are going to stop working what do you do
we have been looking at the rest ......................... and at the moment the Spanish bank looks OK

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

A take-over by the TSB would be worth considering, provided it allowed the retention of co-operative principles and ethical banking. I remember the establishment of the TSB, as a merger of a number of savings banks, such as the old Birmingham Municipal Bank, which was a model of how sensibly controlled banking could be developed to serve the interests of customers rather than shareholders.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Not entirely sure what this is signalling to be honest. Given that the Coop only owns 20% of the bank and the other 80% is hedge fund owned, change of ownership has already happened. Also bearing in mind the Coop Bank can trace its problems back to the takeover of Brittania, who would want to take on this integration?

I am personally up for helping them out. I have just over a year to run on a five year fixed rate mortgage and would be more than happy with a penalty free early release if that helps.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Don't use them for a funeral , watched a programme a while back where they stacked bodies in the back of a transit van!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
A take-over by the TSB would be worth considering, provided it allowed the retention of co-operative principles and ethical banking. I remember the establishment of the TSB, as a merger of a number of savings banks, such as the old Birmingham Municipal Bank, which was a model of how sensibly controlled banking could be developed to serve the interests of customers rather than shareholders.
Until it was taken over by Lloyds.

Whatever happened to Williams and Glynn?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

TSB has emerged as an early favourite to acquire Co-operative Bank, which has put itself up for sale after failing to secure its finances.

Williams & Glyn Update from RBS: You may have seen our announcement last year regarding changes to the launch of Williams & Glyn and its separation from RBS. The plan for Williams & Glyn is still under discussion and we are looking at alternative ways of meeting our divestment commitment to the European Commission. So still part of RBS.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Their IT is massively under-funded and way behind the times. Big outsource happening to IBM at the moment too

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I was working for Lloyds at the time of the TSB merger in Head Office - felt very much like a TSB takeover of Lloyds once Elwood got the CEO role.....and that was not a good thing at all. It was the start of Lloyds' deterioration.

Williams & Glyn Update from RBS: You may have seen our announcement last year regarding changes to the launch of Williams & Glyn and its separation from RBS. The plan for Williams & Glyn is still under discussion and we are looking at alternative ways of meeting our divestment commitment to the European Commission. So still part of RBS.

Pal of mine was working on the W&G 'project' until late summer last year, when they summarily exited 1200 people as the project was 'killed' (word is they'd already spent £2-3 billion on it)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here