Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone starting to lose faith in Gus

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There seem to be three very different views of Gus.
1) The outsiders/neutrals looking in from afar. If I had a pound for every person who has said to me..." You've got a really good manager there "....." Poyet's done/doing a really good job at your place "..." wish we had Gus Poyet as manager "..." he's destined for a big job "......I would be a lot better off than I am today!
2) BHA fans group A......Gus is the best thing that has ever happened to us...we are heading in the right direction...whatever happens, we won't lose the faith.
3) BHA fans group B.....Subdivided into 1) Lost faith completely and want out 2) Losing faith, want to stay loyal but worried at course of events and looking for answers 3) Puzzled, angered, bemused, frustrated, heads hurting, all over the place mixed up and not knowing which way to turn. Loving Gus one minute, wanting him out the next.
From the outside he is charismatic, charming, attractive, positive and relatively youthful. All the attributes of a really good salesman. Men and women both like him. The media love him. He makes good copy.
Beneath all this, how much real substance is there? We are told that his preparation for each match leaves no stone unturned but isn't this the basic prerequisite for every football manager?
He appears positive in character but is actually cautious by nature. And hereby lies the dichotomy of the man. He is not what he appears to the outside. His game plan is consistent,with possession,building from the back but he constantly tinkers with team line-up. One the one hand, a settled plan, on the other, undecided as to his best formations.
We are told that he picks a team to play the specific opposition but if we have a settled and fairly successful game plan, why is he worrying about the opposition every game. Let them worry about us. ( It smacks of Don Revie's extensive dossiers on every team Leeds played..whilst Shankley and Paisley sipped tea in the boot-room at Anfield and told their players to pass to the same colour shirt )
Set pieces, including penalties. Key area in football. Often the difference between winning and losing. We have employed umpteen different corner kick/free kick/penalty takers. No consistency, no stragegy. Just what seems to suit the moment.
So are we dealing with a manager who is actually quite shallow, tactically. Has he built all his plans around one particular style of play to the exclusion of everything else? Cautious and inflexible and incapable of moving to another level. Relying on talented players who in turn are being strangled by an inability to be flexible.
Surely a manager has a say in when games are rearranged? It was obvious to all concerned that three home games in six days last season was courting disaster. Sure enough, we paid the price big time. Twice in less than 8 weeks we have been forced to play 3 successive away league games ( 3 points out of 18 )..Madness, bloody madness. I know its not all down to Gus but surely he has a say in these things. The players need more protection. Three away games in 7 days is ludicrous and has probably cost us the play-offs. Thats how important these issues are.
He is too quick to court the media over issues outside BHA ( e.g Saurez and Chelsea ) Full concentration is needed on the job at hand.
In summary, I feel that Gus developed a game plan ideal for lower levels. But as you move to Championship and Premiership you have to be cuter, more flexible. We are either outthought or bullied too many times at this level. We have a strong squad but an unbalanced squad. We have lacked firepower for two seasons and its still not been resolved. At this stage I can't see him making it as a top manager. Compare him with Laudrup and you suddenly see the difference.
Gus has done a good job getting us to where we are. I am not convinced he can take us any further. The best managers are the bravest managers. Gus is too cautious to take that next step.

That is a very well thought out post :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Compare him with Laudrup and you suddenly see the difference.
Gus has done a good job getting us to where we are. I am not convinced he can take us any further. The best managers are the bravest managers. Gus is too cautious to take that next step.

Compare him with Laudrup!?

Michael Laudrup who has over 10 years experience as a manager, currently on his 5th club having walked out on 3, been sacked from another, and inherited an already well established Swansea squad, is comparable to Gus, in his first job, just over 3 years as a manager with a win rate better than Laudrup has achieved in his last 4 jobs including Swansea?

That's the comparison you're making?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
1) The outsiders/neutrals looking in from afar. If I had a pound for every person who has said to me..." You've got a really good manager there "....." Poyet's done/doing a really good job at your place "..." wish we had Gus Poyet as manager "..." he's destined for a big job "......I would be a lot better off than I am today!
2) BHA fans group A......Gus is the best thing that has ever happened to us...we are heading in the right direction...whatever happens, we won't lose the faith.
3) BHA fans group B.....Subdivided into 1) Lost faith completely and want out 2) Losing faith, want to stay loyal but worried at course of events and looking for answers 3) Puzzled, angered, bemused, frustrated, heads hurting, all over the place mixed up and not knowing which way to turn. Loving Gus one minute, wanting him out the next.
From the outside he is charismatic, charming, attractive, positive and relatively youthful. All the attributes of a really good salesman. Men and women both like him. The media love him. He makes good copy.
Beneath all this, how much real substance is there? We are told that his preparation for each match leaves no stone unturned but isn't this the basic prerequisite for every football manager?
He appears positive in character but is actually cautious by nature. And hereby lies the dichotomy of the man. He is not what he appears to the outside. His game plan is consistent,with possession,building from the back but he constantly tinkers with team line-up. One the one hand, a settled plan, on the other, undecided as to his best formations.
We are told that he picks a team to play the specific opposition but if we have a settled and fairly successful game plan, why is he worrying about the opposition every game. Let them worry about us. ( It smacks of Don Revie's extensive dossiers on every team Leeds played..whilst Shankley and Paisley sipped tea in the boot-room at Anfield and told their players to pass to the same colour shirt )
Set pieces, including penalties. Key area in football. Often the difference between winning and losing. We have employed umpteen different corner kick/free kick/penalty takers. No consistency, no stragegy. Just what seems to suit the moment.
So are we dealing with a manager who is actually quite shallow, tactically. Has he built all his plans around one particular style of play to the exclusion of everything else? Cautious and inflexible and incapable of moving to another level. Relying on talented players who in turn are being strangled by an inability to be flexible.
Surely a manager has a say in when games are rearranged? It was obvious to all concerned that three home games in six days last season was courting disaster. Sure enough, we paid the price big time. Twice in less than 8 weeks we have been forced to play 3 successive away league games ( 3 points out of 18 )..Madness, bloody madness. I know its not all down to Gus but surely he has a say in these things. The players need more protection. Three away games in 7 days is ludicrous and has probably cost us the play-offs. Thats how important these issues are.
He is too quick to court the media over issues outside BHA ( e.g Saurez and Chelsea ) Full concentration is needed on the job at hand.
In summary, I feel that Gus developed a game plan ideal for lower levels. But as you move to Championship and Premiership you have to be cuter, more flexible. We are either outthought or bullied too many times at this level. We have a strong squad but an unbalanced squad. We have lacked firepower for two seasons and its still not been resolved. At this stage I can't see him making it as a top manager. Compare him with Laudrup and you suddenly see the difference.

Sorry to pick out just one point ...but no he doesn't have a say re the arrangement of games..it's a little naive to think he does...I think he made it quite clear that it was idiotic of the authorities to arrange or rearrange the games the way they did.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry to pick out just one point ...but no he doesn't have a say re the arrangement of games..it's a little naive to think he does...I think he made it quite clear that it was idiotic of the authorities to arrange or rearrange the games the way they did.

Interesting that you pick up one point to nitpick about and choose not to comment on the rest of the post.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
as the man to take us to the next level.

Let me make it clear that I'm not suggesting that we get shot but the way we can't go out and make our superiority count is now worrying me.

I am starting to think that maybe Gus can't cope with the pressure at this level. As I've said elsewhere on here, we seem to be able to cope really well when there is no pressure, i,e in early season games and in cup games against Premier League teams. There seems to be too much tinkering and an inabilty to impose ourselves on games because we seldom really go fot it from the off. We play some very good football but every game is starting to feel like a chess game where our slow build up and pretty football in parts of the pitch where we can't do any damage seems to let the opposition grow in confidence. The number of times we are hit on the break having had most of the possession is really staring to piss me off.

This is not a knee jerk reaction, although the games against Bristol and Barnsley have really pissed me off. We can't keep claiming bad luck and bad refs for our inabilty to kill games off early on. If we could take a quick one or two goal lead I'd understand us stroking the ball around and keeping it from the opposition without threatening. We have the players, we have the biggest home support in the league and a pretty good away following I think we should be doing better.

Flame away, maybe I am expecting too much too quickly. I accept that :shrug:

Great post and some very good points especially the constant changing of the team.

I think we need another or replacement coach to assist him. Forwards coach - how to take your chances and also get le Tissier on board as penalty coach :)

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

As Icy said, a very well thought-out post.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Interesting that you pick up one point to nitpick about and choose not to comment on the rest of the post.

Hardly nitpit as the poster made a strong point over it ..you were too busy rubbing yur hands with glee that the rest ties in with your opinion ..The rest I felt has been discussed on all the other threads re Poyet that have sprouted in the last 24 hours

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
My opinion wavers as does the teams performances - the last blip, I was thinking that we are one dimensional and too slow in the build up play. lots of possession but slow to break and little penetration. Crying out for a center forward to put the ball in the net, frustrated that we only ever play one up front and one winger. Give the ball away in dangerous areas and vulnerable to couterattacks.

Then it clicks and we look great. I think to myself 'what do I know'

But now another blip and those thoughts come back (although we do have a center forward now). And this is this 4th of fifth time I have been on this yo-yo. I have to conclude to trust my instincts. Gus is a good manager but may be too naive/arrogant to take us forward.

Please bounce in may when we are in the final of the play-offs.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
My opinion wavers as does the teams performances - the last blip, I was thinking that we are one dimensional and too slow in the build up play. lots of possession but slow to break and little penetration. Crying out for a center forward to put the ball in the net, frustrated that we only ever play one up front and one winger. Give the ball away in dangerous areas and vulnerable to couterattacks.

Then it clicks and we look great. I think to myself 'what do I know'

But now another blip and those thoughts come back (although we do have a center forward now). And this is this 4th of fifth time I have been on this yo-yo. I have to conclude to trust my instincts. Gus is a good manager but may be too naive/arrogant to take us forward.

Please bounce in may when we are in the final of the play-offs.

Great post and that just about sums it up for me too.

king B

Jun 16, 2011
Well 5 years ago most fans would of killed to be a midtable championship team and now we have a chance to be on the play offs so I for am not not gunna complain! In Gus we trust

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here