Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone seen this.....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Drums, goal music, call and response, half time BIRD SHOW.

The debate ends with the above 4 facts. Plastic, soulless, MLS club.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I've had a THINK, and here is my suggestion:

As the team runs out FIRST half: PA plays the intro, then fades. Words up on the screens.

SECOND half: PA plays intro, then fades. No words on screens.

When we reach the point where the second half version (without the words up) is sung as well as the first, then we'll know that everybody who wants to learn them has done so, and we can stop putting them up at all.

Sorted.

Next.

Sorry that won't work there are only about 3,389 fans in their seats when the players run out for the second half

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
How hard is it to sing "I wanna be *clap* *clap* glad all over" or YNWA come to that - if people are worried it will give the away fans a giggle then put it on the South screen and not the north then the away fans might not notice. Have you ever listened to how many sing SBTS Ner Ner Ner Ner andweregoinguptowinthecupforsusbytsea

Something needs to happen

By putting it on the South screen only, could make the atmosphere even better as there could/should be 25,000 people all staring at the away fans and singing loud! :)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
But not everybody DOES know the words, except to the chorus. I'd rather the words were up and 15,000 voices joined in, then they were not, and 7,000 mumble along, going der der der der der.

Other clubs DO put them up, as well. Derby did for the play off game, and sounded brilliant. Are they the laughing stock of British football because they do so?

Totally agree. I've been watching the Albion for 35 years and, while I'm vaguely aware of the real words, I don't know them well enough to sing anything other than the chorus. And in all that time, I can honestly say I've never stood or sat next to anyone who's sung anything but the chorus. Getting the stadium belting out Sussex By The Sea properly would be great.

I've had a THINK, and here is my suggestion:

As the team runs out FIRST half: PA plays the intro, then fades. Words up on the screens.

SECOND half: PA plays intro, then fades. No words on screens.

When we reach the point where the second half version (without the words up) is sung as well as the first, then we'll know that everybody who wants to learn them has done so, and we can stop putting them up at all.

Sorted.

Next.

Judging by the number in their seats when the teams run out for the second half it might turn into a virtuoso performance.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Quite I think that game has been tainted with the way a certain manager approached the game I personally thought the buzz before that game was superb and the opera singer was brilliant - our humiliation that day was NOTHING to do with the fans or the clackers

I thought the opera singer was abysmal. Killed it stone dead. So there you go, game of opinions :thumbsup:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Derby havent got previous for rather awful ideas.....Nicking ideas from other clubs is pretty tinpot too, especially this.

We need a better way to go about it. Cutting the music out is one of them, though our fanbase do have the ability to speed any song up to 200mph....

In this case we better tear down the training ground and head back to Withers seeing as that is the result of cherry-picking the best ideas from around the country...bloody tinpot, unoriginal Brighton.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Totally agree, how do we vote against if you are an old git that does not know how to use Twitter. I don't care what Palace fans think, although not a lot skill involved to remember the words to 'Glad all over' but it is a truly awful idea, we are a football team playing in a football stadium not a bloody Karaoke bar. Sometimes think the PR of our club needs some attention. We will be asking next if we want goal music and a lone seagull display swooping over the ground before the game.[/QUOTE]

That would be brilliant. We could disguise a US drone maybe?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
In this case we better tear down the training ground and head back to Withers seeing as that is the result of cherry-picking the best ideas from around the country...bloody tinpot, unoriginal Brighton.

In fairness, it was Barcelona's idea first under Johan Cruyff. The whole training ground the same as the 1st team pitch and getting the 2nd team to play the same way as the 1st.

How Tinpot copying them.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You learn the words of football songs (or any song really) by hearing people sing them. However, I've watched us at all 4 home grounds - and countless away - and don't know the words because I've never heard any version sung other than der der der, uptowinthecup etc. Put it on the screen, and after 5-6 home games a whole generation will learn the words and they'll probably never have to be taught again.

It's a good idea and I couldn't give a monkey's cumshot what any other fans think, particularly any fans of clubs with goal music.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
In fairness, it was Barcelona's idea first under Johan Cruyff. The whole training ground the same as the 1st team pitch and getting the 2nd team to play the same way as the 1st.

How Tinpot copying them.

I think he learned that from Ajax. :)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's not a big deal, it's just one song sung before kick-off. Whether or not we're judged as tin pot ultimately depends on what noise we generate during the game.

I fancy that displaying the words onscreen will encourage a few more new people to sing, and in doing so they may also be inclined to join in with the other songs during the match.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I rather have the words on the screen than have people around me singing 'der der der, der der der' then Norman's chorus version. It's such a spine frissoning song it should only be sung in its organic form.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
This is the way to go. And if anyone thinks it's 'tinpot' maybe they can explain how going der, der, de der because you don't know the words is less 'tinpot' ?

Agree. Der der der always gets on my tits. If people bother to do that surely it's better to sing the proper words. If sung properly at the right speed it would sound great reverberating around the Amex. Also I'd like the stand or fall line as the chorus line, now the banner is up in the North people might realise why it's there. Who gives a monkeys what Palace think, there's more than enough to throw back at them.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
It hasn't been done before.

Except to put "Seagulls, Seagulls" up, which was plain stupid.

Fading the music down after the intro seems the way to go, so people take over and sing. Putting the words up to assist younger fans who don't know them seems sensible. If they offend anyone, don't look at them.

If anyone is worried that the away fans might think it 'cringeworthy', get over it. I suspect they'll actually be impressed with the noise we'll make.

If its some Palace fans on twitter, posting a few lol smilies, about it that is bothering you, maybe you need to get a life.

Spot on :thumbsup:

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Far too many precious people, get embarrassed about far too many pointless things, IMO, like.

Whilst I agree with this...

Absolutely.

I'd personally be more embarrassed if I spent my time scouring Twitter for news related to a club I don't support. Ditto with going on to their forums. It is beyond pathetic.

I don't really agree with this. If someone wants to spend their time doing the things you mention, that's up to them. Bit odd referring to a time killing activity whilst at work (probably) as 'beyond pathetic'. Seems like someone is being a bit precious...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here