Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Anyone seen any swifts?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Been around for a week or so now - the wet weather would have made them disappear from their breeding sites for a few days in search of food - they’ll be back

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I was wondering about this the other day. Since 2009, I've been noting when I've seen my first swifts. The earliest was 20th April, the latest 20th May. I've not seen any yet this year although it has been a bit chilly and maybe the north winds have been pushing them back a bit.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
House Martin's haven't been back to our way since Covid. Previously regular visitors.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In these days of climate change, one Swallow doesn’t make it Winter

• Haha
Reactions: cjd

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Been around for a week or so now - the wet weather would have made them disappear from their breeding sites for a few days in search of food - they’ll be back
That or the Maltese, French etc have shot ‘em all on their annual migration north. Bastards!

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Our's returned to their usual nest in the eaves last week, up here in Warwickshire. Loads of guano to clear up on the drive soon.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Common Swifts are a little late this year possibly due to shortage of insects (re-fuelling en route) but my birding pal in Aberdeen has them back in his village but fewer than last year. Mind you still Alpine Swifts around the UK (Wales, North East and even Scotland, plus several in Ireland) it's assumed these birds (up to 70 of them) overshot their normal nesting areas when blown off course). But if you're lucky enough to see one (you won't miss it, larger than common and a white belly) - fabulous birds!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Talking of birds, I had a male sparrowhawk land on my study windowsill yeasterday. Just sat there staring at me....until I lifted my phone up to photograph it!

Birds don't do freebies. You gotta have some seed or other form of reward for them if you want them to sit for a pic.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Still not seen any swifts in the Preston Park area. Any other Brighton sightings? I thought it might be these northerly winds we've had for weeks.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Yes - always amazes me that they return from their migration - thousands of miles away in Africa - to the same house!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Loads yesterday evening on the wing above Portslade. My mates swift boxes remain uninhabited as yet, sadly. He has taken to piping out Swift song via a speaker to try and attract them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here