Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone see galloway's contribution to the debate today

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Obviously, sorry I phrased that badly, I meant NATO nations are where they get most of their wealth - they need to stay on our good side.

We do provide a lot of technical and practical help to Saudi Arabia but IS are a threat to them as Saudi are the leaders of the Arab world. It's nothing to do with western imperialisation, as you like to think, but far more to do with Sunni v Shia, which has been going on for centuries.

Since the late 20th Century, complex political problems have been turned into sectarian issues by the parties involved, particularly in parts of the Middle East and Asia.
This has been the case in Iraq, Lebanon, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Syria.
Since taking political power in 1979, Iran’s Shia clergy has been supporting the Shia Muslims of Iraq, Lebanon and Syria. This spreading influence has caused concern to the Sunni rulers of Arab countries with Shia minorities, such as Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. On the other hand, members of the Saudis' own Shia minority have complained of being treated as potential fifth columnists for Iran.
Iraq
In 1980, Iraq - led by Sunni leader Saddam Hussein - invaded its neighbour Iran, which was led by the country’s new Shia ruler Ayatollah Khomeini. Saddam wanted Iraq to replace Iran as the dominant state in the Persian Gulf, but he was also worried that the Iranian revolution could have a ripple effect among his country’s Shia majority. The war between Iran and Iraq was one of the bloodiest of the century, with an estimated one million Iranians and up to half-a-million Iraqis dying in the conflict.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Galloway's good at pointing out the flaws, inconsistencies and sometimes hypocrisies of the UK's policy position on the Middle East. For that reason alone I'm glad his speech yesterday has got so much attention.

I have no respect for him personally and I think he's self-serving and mendacious but it's vital we hear from people like him at times like these. Radio 4's PM programme yesterday played his speech in full alongside that of Ann Clwyd and it was superb piece of radio. No comment, analysis, editorialising from the journalists - just two good, passionate speeches that you can compare and contrast. And a reminder of why living in a (largely) free democracy is what most of us prefer.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Hmmm ..... I think Steve Foster has yet another account on top of those identified previously. Otherwise known as Boris !

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
After the ruthless way Israel dealt with the Hamas terrorists, I wonder if the IS militants will invade Israeli territory to spark off a war with Israel...

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Hmmm ..... I think Steve Foster has yet another account on top of those identified previously. Otherwise known as Boris !

Well he's obviously had the account since 2008 then. Obviously bearing in mind your comments in replying to his posts you are (to put it mildly) not keen on his stance, but to keep suggesting he has other accounts is a bit desperate, perhaps others have a similar opinion.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Well he's obviously had the account since 2008 then. Obviously bearing in mind your comments in replying to his posts you are (to put it mildly) not keen on his stance, but to keep suggesting he has other accounts is a bit desperate, perhaps others have a similar opinion.

The mods proved he had at least one other duplicate account which he used to had a conversation with himself in an attempt to make it look as though someone else supported his view.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Very decent politician - always like a contrarian

'Don't seek comfort in the false security of consensus'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here