Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Anyone remember 'good News'?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Yes. Very. There are no excuses.
Why do people look for them? It's beyond me, especially when it comes to killing. Do people (in general) not appreciate the fact of being alive? That's not to denigrate the conditions that an awful lot have to endure, but that's a man(and I say 'man', purposefully)-made situation.
There is still so much to enjoy on this sweet and so-far forgiving planet....let's not throw it away.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Now that the wheat has been separated from the chaff, what other stories have made you happy, in recent years?
That was the general idea of this post - to alleviate the general (albeit warranted) malaise of modern life.
My niece's best friend in Ukraine is girlfriend to a local lad. When Russia invaded he volunteered immediately. After his UK based training he was posted to the front line and, within a month, lost one leg below the knee in an explosion.
She stayed with him.
Last week he invited his girlfriend to a surprise dinner and proposed... and she accepted. I don't often shed a tear of happiness when watching a video of a couple I've never met...but I did watching this one on my niece's phone.
Here's to them, such hope and positivity 🥂 in the face of troubles.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My niece's best friend in Ukraine is girlfriend to a local lad. When Russia invaded he volunteered immediately. After his UK based training he was posted to the front line and, within a month, lost one leg below the knee in an explosion.
She stayed with him.
Last week he invited his girlfriend to a surprise dinner and proposed... and she accepted. I don't often shed a tear of happiness when watching a video of a couple I've never met...but I did watching this one on my niece's phone.
Some genuine indefatigability. My best wishes to them.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
She stayed with him.
That's incredible! Absolutely all the best to them, and I could wish nothing more than they come out the other side with years of happiness ahead of them. Thank you for sharing that good news.

I was in Asda Hollingbury recently and I have to confess to being in a bit of a bad mood and I was moaning to Mrs Shingle about the general yobbery out in the car park and inside the store. When we came out of the checkout area there were 2 or 3 trolleys full up and overflowing with tinned stuff, dried pastas etc and nobody was requesting donations, there was just a sign saying food bank. Hollingbury/Carden is one of Brightons poorer areas, yet so many of the shoppers had contributed to this food bank without being asked. It was most humbling to see it.
Just to put it in perspective, Tesco in Affluent Lewes has the same thing but the trolleys are never full.
Up here in the Northern heights of Sussex we have a very active and organised food bank. Also, the donations boxes in our local supermarkets are usually well filled. It is a pity that they are needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here