Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Anyone on NSC watching 'The jury' on channel 4?

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I love a good courtroom drama. I've found the concept to be an interesting one, and the first three episodes to be captivating.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Disagree. It is entertaining but also very thought provoking. I’ve never been on a jury but really makes you think how you would try and influence the other jurors if you didn’t agree with them. Made it interesting when it was murder or man slaughter rather than guilty or not guilty. Would recommend to anyone who hasn’t seen it.
A lot of the jury room interaction was pretty authentic/realistic based on my experience……wide range of characters, some very vocal/dominating and some quiet, some intransigent views from the outset etc etc. Also interesting to see how some changed their view like the wind on relatively limited information. Agree with the earlier comment about the room set-up - the jury room I was in was a ‘board room’ set up which prevented the little cliques developing we saw in the programme to a large extent.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Well, like the jurors we all have our views. I found the loss of control aspect troubling. He was strangling her, then he stopped, picked up an industrial hammer, and bashed her head in. Whether he went out to fetch it from his workshop (more likely than it already being in the dining room), or grabbed it because it was next to him, he still made a conscious decision there. In his rage he could've just punched her several times in the face and instead been up on a GBH charge, but instead, he upped the stakes massively and murdered her. A 'reasonable person' doesn't do that. His claims of not remembering it were dubious as well. He can remember her face changing colour. He can remember her lips turning blue. He remembers the first of the 3 hammer blows to her head but not the others. He remembers all that, but can't remember where he got the hammer from ? Too much didn't add up for me.

I think he got massive leeway from many of the jurors for it being out of character for him. For him apparently being a "nice guy". He still did what he did though, and had the victim been my daughter, I'd have been distraught at that verdict.

I agree with you that trial by jury needs revising. They mentioned the danish version of "professional jurors" being used, people who's job it is to sit and deliberate on these cases. That seems quite a sensible option.
You refer to the Danish system, the only thing i have against that is Impartiality, just my opinion. I would love to be a pro juror, when i done my jury service i loved it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here