Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone on here doing / has done Media Studies A Level...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Because you have admitted multiple times that you didn't need the degree to get a job in the industry, you've said it about 3 times.

That's (meant to be) the entire point of doing a degree, no?

Bit of shame that we have lost the academic side of universities and learning for learnings sake. I think we have lost some wonderful thinking and ideas by the vocationalisation of universities.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Because you have admitted multiple times that you didn't need the degree to get a job in the industry, you've said it about 3 times.

All the people going to university to do these joke degrees is the reason the rest of us have to pay so much.

I point you to my earlier post. It is a sad world if the ONLY reason for doing a degree is to get a job and make money. There is such thing as education for the love of learning you know.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
A lot is said about some degrees being a waste of time but if you study something for 3 years that you really, really enjoy then what is the issue?

If you were paying for it yourself that would have been fine.

And I study genetics, I don't do it to get a job and make money I do it because I find it incredibly interesting, but doing a degree (I'm doing a masters but w/e) really is the ONLY way to progress in the area.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

The vast majority of graduates go on to higher paid jobs than non graduates and thus repay the money back into the system through taxes.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

All the people going to university to do these joke degrees is the reason the rest of us have to pay so much.

Haven't admitted anything. My first degree involved an element where for an entire term I had to go out to work and record the results.

As it was part of a course I was able to do it unpaid.

The company gave me a job when I finished as a production assistant. When the production finished after a few months I managed to get a job with a supplier (carrying boxes) because I wanted to stay in the industry.

All of this would have been much much harder if I hadn't enrolled on the degree in the first place.

Your belief that degrees like this increase the prices of others is silly.

Pray tell me what you are studying ? Let's hope it isn't economics.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I point you to my earlier post. It is a sad world if the ONLY reason for doing a degree is to get a job and make money. There is such thing as education for the love of learning you know.

Exactly. No employer in my current line of work has ever asked me whether or not I have a degree - I'm judged solely on whether or not I can do the job, and rightly so.

But I'd never have chosen not to do a degree. In fact, if you offered me the chance to do it again tomorrow I'd take it with both hands. I'd get more out of it now.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Well my son didn't do a "proper" degree, he studied media both at A Level and degree and guess what, got himself a decent grad job in media, doing what he loves, film-making and editing. And for my sins, I am doing one of those terrible "vocational" degrees part time at Uni, which directly relates to my job and makes me better at it. Shame not everyone does proper degrees eh

Back to the original post - if you haven't had any help yet, let me know and I'll ask my son with his poxy media degree to pm you.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Probably helps understanding the difference between your and you're though :)

A lot is said about some degrees being a waste of time but if you study something for 3 years that you really, really enjoy then what is the issue?

I studied Sociology which lots of people rip the piss out of but I did it because I was really interested in the subject, I attended every lecture for 3 years and had the best time of my life. Hardly a waste.

I Did Marketing as a postgrad with the CIM. I'm now a Chartered Liar.

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
I did it at college because i knew alot of girls would do it and it was an easy grade to use to get into university.

I actually quite enjoyed it though, making trailers for horror films, i was the anchor for a wannabe newsround show and just 'analysing' films and tv shows like The Terminator and American Psycho and if i remember Absolutely Fabulous.

I still use the terms mise-en-scene and leitmotif to this day just to look clever.

Complete waste of real academic time however.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

What are you paying so much for? Your lunch money?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

And I study genetics, I don't do it to get a job and make money I do it because I find it incredibly interesting, but doing a degree (I'm doing a masters but w/e) really is the ONLY way to progress in the area.

Good for you. However your degree is being subsidised by others doing the "noddy" ones. If you don't believe me ask your chancellor.

Good luck with your masters. I studied mine after work in Computer Science, the one I could afford to pay for myself because of the job I got through my Noddy first one.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Marketing with CIM? Does that cost extra?

I got sponsored by my firm as a professional development initiative. If I'd self funded it would have cost me an arm and a leg. I did the advanced cert. as a fee payer though.

Bloody hard work it was too.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Exactly. No employer in my current line of work has ever asked me whether or not I have a degree - I'm judged solely on whether or not I can do the job, and rightly so.

But I'd never have chosen not to do a degree. In fact, if you offered me the chance to do it again tomorrow I'd take it with both hands. I'd get more out of it now.

Going back and doing a Masters near 40 was massively rewarding. Won't go too much into the story but it was completely random. Bloke I barely knew encouraged me to apply with him. I did a few weeks before, I got in he didn't.

Did it all after work. Bloke on my course had barely an O Level let alone a degree and steamed it. I loved it when he passed, he could answer the question "Do you have a degree ?" with "No I bypassed all that..."

I've spent the last few years encouraging people to do as I did, it's never too late. There is a misconception that as you get older it's harder. I can tell you my experience and all the others my age it's actually much much easier.

Meeting deadlines, turning up even working with a hangover :) much easier after years at work. My first degree was heavily populated with mature students. I understand now why they found that side of things such easier. It simply comes with age.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Going back and doing a Masters near 40 was massively rewarding. Won't go too much into the story but it was completely random. Bloke I barely knew encouraged me to apply with him. I did a few weeks before, I got in he didn't.

Did it all after work. Bloke on my course had barely an O Level let alone a degree and steamed it. I loved it when he passed, he could answer the question "Do you have a degree ?" with "No I bypassed all that..."

I've spent the last few years encouraging people to do as I did, it's never too late. There is a misconception that as you get older it's harder. I can tell you my experience and all the others my age it's actually much much easier.

Meeting deadlines, turning up even working with a hangover :) much easier after years at work. My first degree was heavily populated with mature students. I understand now why they found that side of things such easier. It simply comes with age.

Couldn't agree more. Did an Msc as a mature student. Walked it. Piece of piss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here