Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anyone know if the boys are out in Dubai yet?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't get it - all EPL clubs complain about the schedule and the effect on players. I know, let's have a winter break and fly the squad half way around the world for training. And that ignores the cost and emissions in doing so. As has already been posted - how does warm weather training help the squad when we're in the coldest season here ?
Light training in sunshine seems a very nice way to rejuvenate to me.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Light training in sunshine seems a very nice way to rejuvenate to me.
Exactly. It’s a little reward/thank you whilst keeping the squad together with the physios etc being on hand 24/7.

What’s the alternative? Do the same as they’ve been doing for the past 6 months and risk boredom, familiarity, etc

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
What’s the alternative? Do the same as they’ve been doing for the past 6 months and risk boredom, familiarity, etc

And having to read message boards like NSC, with knuckleheads like me during the non-training times. What else would you do but read about what the fans are saying about you. Trumpsters would say it makes you tough.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Looks likely they are there...
Screenshot_20240110-122654~2.png

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Aren't they right next to the sea though? Not too hard to believe they have desalination plants. I dislike that region as much as the next man but using water is hardly their worst crime.
Here's a link to a NYT recent article on desalination there.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/18/business/dubai-water-desalination.html

As someone who's lived in Dubai for over 16 years and love both the place and country, I thought it was balanced, very informative and trod carefully between a pro-Dubai whitewashing or anti-Dubai scapegoating angle. It's well worth a read.

Global seawater salinity is typically 3.5 to 4.5 percent; the Persian Gulf comes in at the latter end, making it more vulnerable to brine. About 70 percent of the gulf’s coral reefs have disappeared, with 21 species of coral-dependent fish at elevated risk of extinction. These shifts have resulted in a regional loss of $94 billion a year for tourism, aquaculture and fisheries, according to a study published in 2021 in the Marine Pollution Bulletin, a scholarly journal.

Sea grass meadows and mangroves in the area are also struggling. Such ecosystems are important nursing grounds for commercially valuable species like pearl oysters; they also help stabilize wave rhythms and erosional forces and can absorb large quantities of greenhouse gas from the atmosphere. Their decline has contributed to an oceanic desert devoid of the usual biodiversity that is found in the Arabian Sea and the Persian Gulf — the largest so-called dead zone in the world.

Since the 1970s, dead zones have proliferated across the globe, and include one in the Baltic Sea three times the area of Maryland.
“We have our own in the Gulf of Mexico, where all the water going down the Mississippi deoxygenates and everything dies,” said Bruce Logan, director of Pennsylvania State University’s Institute of Energy and the Environment.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't get it - all EPL clubs complain about the schedule and the effect on players. I know, let's have a winter break and fly the squad half way around the world for training. And that ignores the cost and emissions in doing so. As has already been posted - how does warm weather training help the squad when we're in the coldest season here ?

The PR will be ‘carbon offset’.

[Half a dozen Nordman Firs to be planted in Friston Forest …. which would’ve been planted anyway].

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Igor just posted an Instagram story this morning where he’s on an exercise bike at the training ground in Lancing. Anyone noticed him in the club photos from Dubai?

IMG_8873.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here