Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Help With This Question?

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Here's my issue, On friday night a big group of us will be going out into town clubbing and my passport has just run out. I'm 19 and obviously this whole last year i've used my passport to get in places no worries but now it's out of date i'm unsure as to whether or not they will let me in? I sent away for a provisional licence 2 weeks ago but it doesn't look like coming in time. Before people point it out i know i should have got something sorted out sooner and it's my mistake but i'm just asking a question. The passport is only a few weeks out of date and the photo still looks like me, got other things like university student card and bank cards with me as well. I know techinally and legally there not valid but do they actually check the validity date or care about it? So do you think I'll be able to get in or will bouncers not accept them?

Thanks

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I would have thought that if you don't make a fuss about it then 9 times out of 10 they'll let you in.

An expired passport doesn't mean your age has changed, obviously, and whilst you can't use it to travel to Russia I don't see any reason why it won't suffice as proof of age.

Personally if a bouncer refused me entry on the grounds that my passport had expired I would kick off big time however chance would be a fine thing because nobody ever ID's me. I might get rid of the beard just in the hope that occasionally I get mistaken for a youth.

Unfortunately although it might be wrong there is no legal ground to stand on as a bouncer can refuse you entry to his club for any reason he chooses, or even no reason at all BUT if you don't give him reason to refuse you entry then the fact that your expired still proves your age means you shouldn't get turned away from every door.

I'd have thought it more than likely that most bouncers won't even check the date of expiry as it's largely irrelevant for their purposes.

Just turn up with a laid back attitude and don't draw attention to it. If they do question your expired passport just explain that your date of birth hasn't changed, you are simply awaiting a new passport and if necessary pull out some bank cards and the like as further back up. If they still refuse you then just walk away as the chances are they wouldn't have let you in even if your passport was in date. Sometimes these power crazy twats will use any excuse but there's no point kicking off as it won't get you anywhere.

If they refuse you entry then chances are it isn't worth it anyway

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
I would have thought that if you don't make a fuss about it then 9 times out of 10 they'll let you in.

An expired passport doesn't mean your age has changed, obviously, and whilst you can't use it to travel to Russia I don't see any reason why it won't suffice as proof of age.

Personally if a bouncer refused me entry on the grounds that my passport had expired I would kick off big time however chance would be a fine thing because nobody ever ID's me. I might get rid of the beard just in the hope that occasionally I get mistaken for a youth.

Unfortunately although it might be wrong there is no legal ground to stand on as a bouncer can refuse you entry to his club for any reason he chooses, or even no reason at all BUT if you don't give him reason to refuse you entry then the fact that your expired still proves your age means you shouldn't get turned away from every door.

I'd have thought it more than likely that most bouncers won't even check the date of expiry as it's largely irrelevant for their purposes.

Just turn up with a laid back attitude and don't draw attention to it. If they do question your expired passport just explain that your date of birth hasn't changed, you are simply awaiting a new passport and if necessary pull out some bank cards and the like as further back up. If they still refuse you then just walk away as the chances are they wouldn't have let you in even if your passport was in date. Sometimes these power crazy twats will use any excuse but there's no point kicking off as it won't get you anywhere.

If they refuse you entry then chances are it isn't worth it anyway

Cheers, this was my thinking as well. I know maybe legally they should not let me in it seems rather harsh if they don't allow me in. 2 weeks ago they were quite happy it was me and I was old enough but because the date of validty for travel is up they aren't. Anyone else know anything on this?

Luxembourg used to be so laid back about frontier formalities that all they required of visitors to their country was a passport or ID card that was no more than two years out of date.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that technically you should have a legal document to prove your age and an out of date passport is not a legal document but I doubt that many bouncers sorry doormen would bother to check the expiry date.

I once went to France and Germany with one of my sons when he was delivering out there and picked up my mums pasport by mistake and the chap at Dover said I didnt look like a Mrs but he let me through ok. As luck had it they didnt look at them coming back as my son handed the 2 over they saw we had 2 British passports and just waived us on.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I thought passports were valid for 10 years? Do you still look the same as when you were 9?!

I think you'll be ok in response to your question.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Luxembourg used to be so laid back about frontier formalities that all they required of visitors to their country was a passport or ID card that was no more than two years out of date.

I once, stupidly, packed my passport in the hold luggage when flying to Amsterdam. The Dutch passport control were so laid back they let me in with my press card as ID. (this was in the days when you didn't have to show your passport every 5 minutes when flying through Heathrow).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I thought passports were valid for 10 years? Do you still look the same as when you were 9?!

I think you'll be ok in response to your question.
For younger people passports are only valid for five years as obviously your appearance changes dramatically between say ten and twenty! (Not sure how old you have to be before you can get a ten year one).

My favourite 'expired passport' story is two friends of ours who were going to Teneriffe with their 15 year old son. They got to the airport only to find that the adult passports were ok, but the boy's had expired. Despite begging and pleading etc they weren't allowed to check-in - so they put him on a train to a friend's and went on holiday without him!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Your still you. The purpose of the passport is that it is a leagl document with a photo i.d of yourself and your date of birth. the fact that the passport is out of date should not matter as you are not using it to pass ports.

Try the normal stuff, go in with a maximum of 2 other people, offer for them to hold onto your passport while your inside. if they say no then hover around outside being polite and smiling sweetly showing them that your not a chavy tit who will cause any problems

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here