Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Happy To Admit To Panic Buying/Stockpiling?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Why can’t you just admit that your behaviour was a) wrong and unnecessary and b) selfish.

Stopping blaming everyone else. You didn’t have to follow the crowd (or indeed lead it). I am sure you would be the first to complain if supermarkets increased prices due to holding increased unnecessary stock “just in case” (yes there are costs attached to storage). I would hope you would also complain if food were unnecessarily wasted due to overstocking.

Just accept you were part of the problem and move on.

How is haranguing people on the internet working out for you in keeping our shops stocked ? I Have two weeks of food that can be stretched to three if rationed. If that breaks the just in time stocking system then perhaps you need to be taking your head out of the sand to ask questions about our country’s supply chain.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Don't you just believe it and no sign of it stopping anytime soon.

We fly back today and I've been up all times of day/night for past 8 days trying everywhere to get home delivery/click and collect but not a bit. Farm shop has closed down too due to complete overload. We've got no food in our freezer, in fact nothing. We're supposed to quarantine so I believe

I can't even begin to understand this totally selfish behaviour. Here in Spain the shops are fully stocked and everyone is behaving in an entirely responsible way. From here it appears I am returning to a 3rd world society

It’s really not that bad here. At the weekend I went to a a couple of farm shops on the A24 for fresh produce - no problem

Went to Waitrose Horsham which was almost fully stocked. As was Tesco yesterday except a few bits.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

We fly back today and I've been up all times of day/night for past 8 days trying everywhere to get home delivery/click and collect but not a bit. Farm shop has closed down too due to complete overload. We've got no food in our freezer, in fact nothing. We're supposed to quarantine so I believe

I can't even begin to understand this totally selfish behaviour. Here in Spain the shops are fully stocked and everyone is behaving in an entirely responsible way. From here it appears I am returning to a 3rd world society

My wife went to Sainsbury's in Newhaven yesterday evening, she said there is food on the shelves unlike last week, not fully stocked though obviously.
It may be worth looking in the smaller shops in Seaford, last week I called into Costcutter in Claremont Road and there was plenty of food available.
There is also a Londis shop in Alfriston Road near the pub.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It’s really not that bad here. At the weekend I went to a a couple of farm shops on the A24 for fresh produce - no problem

Went to Waitrose Horsham which was almost fully stocked. As was Tesco yesterday except a few bits.

My wife went to Sainsbury's in Newhaven yesterday evening, she said there is food on the shelves unlike last week, not fully stocked though obviously.
It may be worth looking in the smaller shops in Seaford, last week I called into Costcutter in Claremont Road and there was plenty of food available.
There is also a Londis shop in Alfriston Road near the pub.

Thank you ... that is reassuring.

I was on the verge of cancelling and taking my chances here, but there's lots of Spanish arriving from the mainland and I think it could get a bit dodgy

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Don’t believe what you read in the media or from certain people on the internet. There are times when supermarkets run short because they do not carry enough stock. At other times they are fine and local shops (with different supply chains) seem well stocked.

D

Deleted member 22389

Co-op Peacehaven, only letting ten people in at a time. OAPs given preference, which is fine, however its causing people to bunch up by the doors. One bloke got angry, I decided to leave and try my luck someone else.

Small Sainsburys Peacehaven, all the essentials gone.

Small Co-op Peacehaven, even worse.

And it's was only 7:45am.

Any ideas when this is going to calm down. It's crazy.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
1ad9f7a2b332135f1579729855339d45.jpg

Asda Hollingbury this morning at 8am.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Co-op Peacehaven, only letting ten people in at a time. OAPs given preference, which is fine, however its causing people to bunch up by the doors. One bloke got angry, I decided to leave and try my luck someone else.

Small Sainsburys Peacehaven, all the essentials gone.

Small Co-op Peacehaven, even worse.

And it's was only 7:45am.

Any ideas when this is going to calm down. It's crazy.

Surely people queuing outside defeats the whole object of not letting people enter normally?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
To clarify my comment, you say now that you would be happy to pay the additional costs associated with storing excess food but one can’t but think that’s a convenient response to justify your inexcusable actions.

You seem to have quoted yourself rather than me. However, as you ask, I have always believed that business should be regulated to ensure it pays its full cost. Supermarkets (and clothes, electronics) have for years forced costs and prices downwards in pursuit of market share. Farmers are amongst those that suffer as supermarkets pursue profits from volume. No change in my opinion that we should be supporting our local producers and shops and spending more on locally produced food. If the current crisis had happened a generation ago, people and supermarkets would already be well stocked.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Surely people queuing outside defeats the whole object of not letting people enter normally?

I had to pick up a prescription from Boots in Hailsham yesterday and they were only allowing 2 people in at a time. The queue had automatically enforced social distancing with everyone stood 2 meters apart. It did cause confusion for people, including me, as it didn't really look like a queue so you automatically went straight to the door and looked like a queue jumper.

The queue worked fine - the shop was a shambles. They didn't have anything ready so you went in, asked for your stuff and then had to wait 5-10 minutes whilst they go it ready. All the while, a queue outside of 20+ and growing. Hopefully shops will adapt quickly.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Now that it looks like our food deliveries (been doing it for a few years now) are going to be frozen temporarily since we don't fit into the 'needy' bracket, I am really looking forward to visiting a supermarket once more.

The elbowage and shoving, normally restricted to post match trains, appears to be quite prevalent in the aisles so let's give it a bash, so to speak.

tenor (2).gif

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Supermarkets could do with locking away the trollies for the time being. Might focus people's thoughts on what they actually need to buy, rather than see how much they can stuff in a trolley

They should lock away the trollies and baskets because they are possible transmitters of the virus. We have been taking our own bags into local shops for a while now. Not going into supermarkets.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Supermarkets could do with locking away the trollies for the time being. Might focus people's thoughts on what they actually need to buy, rather than see how much they can stuff in a trolley

Hats off to ASDA.

They are letting only a few people in at a time.

Small trollies or baskets only.

Police were at the door at first then fantastic security staff took over.

Staff are apologising all the time???? (Very kind but no need to).

Only issue I saw was a selfish family meeting back at their car having shopped. They’d split up in the queue. Each had a trolly load, not great.

Constant announcements on the tannoy about essential shopping only, self scanners will be checked and 3 items of one type max.

All staff very professional and respectful.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Having decided I wasn't going to go shopping any more for a while, I then had to head off a potential argument down the line. I was installing a load of hidden object games for my girlfriend's mum over Teamviewer (Fanatical is the place to go if you have an older relative who might benefit from this - you need a Steam account as you get Steam keys but they worked out about 25p each).

Anyway, I was talking to her about the whole staying in thing and she casually mentioned she would probably get the bus into town on Friday to get some whisky. :ffsparr: As I needed to try and get more cat biscuits, I headed out despite my pledge and got some petrol. Petrol station had loads of most stuff - obviously petrol station prices - and then went to Tesco Express. Both very quiet, both being sensible with spacing. Drove back past the big Tesco and despite the car park looking half full, there were no queues to get in. So looks like it is starting to settle down. Still a few morons ignoring the spacing but on the whole, it seems to be sinking in.

Just don't get me started on my girlfriend's employers though. :angry:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Waitrose in Hove only letting 40 people into the store at one time, therefore it is one out and one in. Queue is self distancing outside though there wasn't one when I left at 11.30. Still gaps in stock but more than there has been. Limited to three per item.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It's difficult to carry a shopping basket with arthritis in your hands especially when it gets heavy. :down:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I was installing a load of hidden object games for my girlfriend's mum over Teamviewer (Fanatical is the place to go if you have an older relative who might benefit from this - you need a Steam account as you get Steam keys but they worked out about 25p each).

Over the past few weeks, there have been many scientific terms I've not quite understood, and several ways of analysing data that I've struggled to get to grips with.

But nothing – nothing – has left me quite so completely baffled as this sentence.

I genuinely do not have a clue what you're on about mate! :lolol:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Over the past few weeks, there have been many scientific terms I've not quite understood, and several ways of analysing data that I've struggled to get to grips with.

But nothing – nothing – has left me quite so completely baffled as this sentence.

I genuinely do not have a clue what you're on about mate! :lolol:

If you want to fix a relative's computer without visiting, you can run software called Teamviewer that is free for personal use and allows you to control the computer remotely. This allowed me to install 20 games that appeal to the older generation. A bit like Where's Wally, you are given a list of objects to find hidden in a picture - often interspersed with some logic puzzles. A very useful diversion for older people who have to stay in. You can put together a bundle of these games here

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/hidden-object-pick-and-mix

This will buy you a series of codes that you must redeem in a piece of software called Steam. Now she has weeks worth of entertainment for around £5. They are all a bit samey and cliched but worth a go.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Those who panic bought and cleared the shelves in a rush probably brushed shoulders with COVID-19 carriers in the heaving and sweating supermarkets. So they may need all the toilet paper they stockpiled. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here