Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Happy To Admit To Panic Buying/Stockpiling?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just popped into Lidl in Burgess Hill on the way home from a walk. All very calm.......plenty of fresh fruit, veg, meat etc etc on the shelves - some things all gone obviously but plenty there to choose from. Car park half full or so, no queues at the tills. Hopefully people are starting to calm down a bit.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just popped into Lidl in Burgess Hill on the way home from a walk. All very calm.......plenty of fresh fruit, veg, meat etc etc on the shelves - some things all gone obviously but plenty there to choose from. Car park half full or so, no queues at the tills. Hopefully people are starting to calm down a bit.

They’ve run out of money. Wait for next week end of the month. I get paid on the 25th. I’ll be out shopping definitely as we have been living on whatever is in the local village store as this month has been a tad heavy on wallet and desperately short of readies. I will only get what we need though.

Enjoying the time to do some proper cooking.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They’ve run out of money. Wait for next week end of the month. I get paid on the 25th. I’ll be out shopping definitely as we have been living on whatever is in the local village store as this month has been a tad heavy on wallet and desperately short of readies. I will only get what we need though.

Enjoying the time to do some proper cooking.

...either that, or run out of space to put anything else ! Some people must have spare rooms stuffed full of pasta and bogroll.

Jan 30, 2008
Just wanted to take this opportunity to really thank (sorry but not willing to risk hand shaking) the stockpilers.

We are now running low on most items including the basics and this morning ended up with a delivery of three yes THREE items despite this being the first delivery we have managed to receive in a week. Still dry taco shells and a lasagne for one between us should be beneficial to our waist lines.

So as high category high risk individuals one of us will have to risk coming out (no not in that way!) and touring numerous shops, hope we can get something to eat AND get home safely.

FFS you sad selfish idiots JUST STOP. I hope your huge piles are replicated in your behinds and that ALL of your valued prizes go off well before you can add another 5 stones and 4 inches to your waistlines.

.....and breath.......

This :wink:
Regards
DF

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
£1bn worth of extra food in peoples homes in the last 2 weeks. Disgusting.

That's £7 per person per week to cover:

A) restaurants being closed therefore people having to cook more.
B) kids not going to school and eating people out of house and home.
C) people having to lock themselves up for weeks.

I'm starting to think this is a government conspiracy to make people think they're being unreasonable when they aren't (apart from the odd tit buying eight packets of loo roll).

Seems absurd, where are people storing it and how can they afford it

I'm not sure the purchase or storage of an additional £7 of goods per person, on average, is unachievable to most.

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

I'm starting to think this is a government conspiracy to make people think they're being unreasonable when they aren't (apart from the odd tit buying eight packets of loo roll).

I'm not sure the purchase or storage of an additional £7 of goods per person, on average, is unachievable to most.

Along the same lines, I've been wondering whether the average person buying just an extra item each of what they would normally, would account for emptying shelves? That might well explain the vanishing pasta/tinned meat/toilet roll, say, but all the fruit and veg? Perishables? If so, then if we don't come out of this a significantly healthier and rosy-cheeked nation, I shall be a bit peeved.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You’re kindly averaging it out.

A minority of households have been bulk hoarding for weeks by getting to supermarkets at 6am, someone in this thread mentioned a mate with 4 freezers set up their garage just for typical family.

The hoarding includes stuff that might enhance the chance of someone else making it through, paracetamol and Calpol.

D

Deleted member 22389

Just wanted to take this opportunity to really thank (sorry but not willing to risk hand shaking) the stockpilers.

We are now running low on most items including the basics and this morning ended up with a delivery of three yes THREE items despite this being the first delivery we have managed to receive in a week. Still dry taco shells and a lasagne for one between us should be beneficial to our waist lines.

So as high category high risk individuals one of us will have to risk coming out (no not in that way!) and touring numerous shops, hope we can get something to eat AND get home safely.

FFS you sad selfish idiots JUST STOP. I hope your huge piles are replicated in your behinds and that ALL of your valued prizes go off well before you can add another 5 stones and 4 inches to your waistlines.

.....and breath.......

This is what me and my wife where frightened about. We do have one online shop coming today which we ordered two weeks ago. It is being split with my mum and brother. My mother is 84 years old and not in the best of conditions, but you wouldn't know to look at her, and my brother who has anxiety issues, learning difficulties and is also on medication.

It's not a good situation some people face at the moment, and the way it is going there is a good possibility people might go starving in this country. If people can just buy what they need and think about others.

We are all OK for the next 2 to 3 weeks, because we are going through the freezer. We have stuff in there we purchased months back. After that things will get serious.

Never known anything like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You’re kindly averaging it out.

A minority of households have been bulk hoarding for weeks by getting to supermarkets at 6am, someone in this thread mentioned a mate with 4 freezers set up their garage just for typical family.

The hoarding includes stuff that might enhance the chance of someone else making it through, paracetamol and Calpol.

But if the £1bn figure is correct then it doesn't actually matter whether I'm averaging it out or not does it? The point is that not a lot extra has been purchased. To be fair I'm not sure I believe the figure.

Re paracetamol, yes it would help people get through, so I imagine many thought they'd better get some in.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Having read a lot of this thread - I haven't seen much in the way of criticising the supermarkets.

Their profits are through the roof. They should have limited items ages ago but as always, profit margins matter more. When the government are asked about rationing they say it's up to the supermarkets and they stay quiet. I'm sure some people have been massively ****ing selfish but it's gets to the point where if you see some people with a pack of 9 big rolls they're stockpiling. As ever, blame is overly passed onto the public when more should go to the companies and people in power (largely because the selfish general public need leading). It's the same with the climate. People told to fly less, eat less meat and yes that's great but the real emitters are the huge corporations and governments in their pockets. This thread has all been all about the few selfish shits there are in our communities but that could have been managed by supermarkets/politicians. They are masters though at increasing their profits (companies) and deflecting the blame (government).

Also, the same tabloids promoting hysteria and panic are not going after the same 'stockpilers' they've helped encourage. I didn't see any warnings of this two weeks ago in their 'journalism'. I bet their readership are largely responsible too. Blaming others sells.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

This is by far the worst thing and to see people still openly selling at overinflated prices on eBay and Amazon makes me sick. Someone could lose their life so some idiot can make a few quid sell on profit.

Makes my piss boil

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Well the opening at 9am for NHS workers was "well supported" at Tesco Bishop Auckland! As [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] said they have to change the Sunday trading laws. I have never seen that shop so busy. Not much left now today for the general public, but there you go.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
But if the £1bn figure is correct then it doesn't actually matter whether I'm averaging it out or not does it? The point is that not a lot extra has been purchased. To be fair I'm not sure I believe the figure.

Re paracetamol, yes it would help people get through, so I imagine many thought they'd better get some in.

I don't know where they have that figure from, but I am guessing increased supermarket sales. I do know that Tesco alone took £170m more than expected in 1 week 2 weeks ago, so similar last week and that is just 1 chain.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I don't know where they have that figure from, but I am guessing increased supermarket sales. I do know that Tesco alone took £170m more than expected in 1 week 2 weeks ago, so similar last week and that is just 1 chain.

That's an extra £6k per day per store on average. Bearing in mind the largest stores take £2m per week.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Tesco Hove almost back to normality now. Not sure whether it is the government advice, more people having everything they need now, or more in self isolation, or a combination of the three.

Managed to get beans, potatoes, salt, flour, bread and meat with plenty left on the shelves. None of which was available yesterday.

Hopefully we will be able to "keep calm and carry on" with normal grocery shopping going forward.
The end of month payday will be the next run on the supermarkets.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Yes, but if you consider that it is being done by say, 10-20% of the population, it's more than £7.

Fact is, the supermarkets are rammed and shelves are empty. Key and vulnerable people could be the victims.

It will resolve itself as soon as folk just start acting like they normally would.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tesco Hove almost back to normality now. Not sure whether it is the government advice, more people having everything they need now, or more in self isolation, or a combination of the three.

Managed to get beans, potatoes, salt, flour, bread and meat with plenty left on the shelves. None of which was available yesterday.

Hopefully we will be able to "keep calm and carry on" with normal grocery shopping going forward.

Think it’s patchy. Loads on social media today of more extreme ****wittery continuing. 1000 people estimated to have been queuing outside of one Tesco in the Midlands, so early that NHS staff couldn’t get in for their golden hour of shopping.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here