Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Happy To Admit To Panic Buying/Stockpiling?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Wickenden's Meats in Hangleton do (or did, they messaged yesterday to say stock was a bit low) weekly hampers of meat that you cannot possibly get through in 7 days - it's more 2 weeks worth.

Queues out the door and almost round to Tesco today ..... busier than Christmas.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Impossible to buy a freezer atm. Argos, Currys etc all out of stock and second hand units on ebay attracting a tremendous number of bids.

The hoarders have bought up all the freezers so they can hoard even more!

I mentioned this to a builder friend and he told me a guy he knows bought 4 freezers at the weekend to load up with ready meals,fresh meat and veg.

Much as you wouldn't normally wish a freezer failure on anybody...

On the plus side, last man standing on the shelves are the fresh and/or healthy foodstuffs. Zombie hordes still turning their noses up at those for now :lol:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Anybody remember tins? Sardines, tuna, salmon, pilchards in the cupboard will cover me and Mrs Earle for another week light main meals over and above the usual fridge and freezer stuff. Just add salad, jacket potato, rice, peas, sweet corn or whatever for a healthy light meal.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Isn't there a bit of a paradox here. The idiots now panic buying freezers won't have anything to put in them due to their panic buying of the goods in the shops.

Jan 30, 2008
Impossible to buy a freezer atm. Argos, Currys etc all out of stock and second hand units on ebay attracting a tremendous number of bids.

The hoarders have bought up all the freezers so they can hoard even more!

I mentioned this to a builder friend and he told me a guy he knows bought 4 freezers at the weekend to load up with ready meals,fresh meat and veg.
what a ****
regards
DF

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Walked into Little Waitrose in Watford today, with the sole intent on purchasing a bottle of red for Fridat night.
Came out with the wine plus 2 packets of toilet roll, which was plentiful on a shelf, so not stockpiling :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have family in China and got a fairly early heads up that this was a more serious virus than expected so started buying a bit extra a few weeks ago. Plus had a fair bit stocked for No Deal.
I only did one big shop which will see me through for a month if required, longer if I ration it carefully. I would expect things to have settled down before I run out. I don’t fancy resorting to the tin of “broken mandarin pieces in syrup” I bought in for Brexit for some reason.

I was getting the odd extra tin in at my local convenience shop which is never ever busy. Had been a very handy little shop to know about and only used by locals who were being considerate and not stock piling. As a result they had plenty of loo rolls, cans, milk etc.
Popped round yesterday to get some beans (one can) and there was a family going to their car, never seen them before and they had bags and bags of supplies they and clearly got from the shop.
Went in and sure enough, wiped out.
Selfish ********s, that pace is a lifeline to older people round here.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
On the plus side, last man standing on the shelves are the fresh and/or healthy foodstuffs. Zombie hordes still turning their noses up at those for now :lol:

i was amused to see the vegan freezer section in Asda virtual untouched.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
9F13AF11-0D2A-4000-89A0-94DD22B6BB50.jpeg

From the Church Times.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
i was amused to see the vegan freezer section in Asda virtual untouched.

Really?

I got all smug a few days back because I could still get my Quorn cocktail sausages as the vultures weren't touching them.

I've not seen them since.

It's like being at a buffet when the meat-eaters go for all the veggie options for no apparent reason, leaving all the meat stuff for later.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That video of the nurse coming off shift to buy dinner. Everyone on this thread who bought one more, just in case? And had a perfect reason for doing that (and there's plenty on here and I suspect more that haven't posted.)

You did that.

I hope you are proud (there really isn't an emoji that even comes close)

Last edited:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
That video of the nurse coming off shift to buy dinner. Everyone on this thread who bought one more, just in case? And had a perfect reason for doing that (and there's plenty on here and I suspect more that haven't posted.

You did that. I hope you are proud (there really isn't an emoji that you can comes close)KO

Totally this.

I had a disagreement a few days back with posters who felt stocking up by buying extra was in any way better than clearing out entire shelves. Some of them were really smug and condescending that they’d seen this all coming. No, you didn’t see it coming; you helped it to happen. Shameful.

Buy what you need, when you need it.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
That video of the nurse coming off shift to buy dinner. Everyone on this thread who bought one more, just in case? And had a perfect reason for doing that (and there's plenty on here and I suspect more that haven't posted.)

You did that.

I hope you are proud (there really isn't an emoji that even comes close)

Surely this is the ultimate in virtue signalling from the person who never does anything wrong or for selfish motives. Whilst the said nurse had every right to be annoyed, folk on here also have every right not to be lectured by you, when you have no idea of individual circumstances.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Surely this is the ultimate in virtue signalling from the person who never does anything wrong or for selfish motives. Whilst the said nurse had every right to be annoyed, folk on here also have every right not to be lectured by you, when you have no idea of individual circumstances.

Can I be annoyed?

I’ve worked long hours this week and every time I get to the supermarkets near me they have been ransacked. This is nothing to do with ‘virtue signalling’ as you unsympathetically put it; it’s calling people out for their selfish behaviour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here