Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Happy To Admit To Panic Buying/Stockpiling?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Really not looking forward to the weekend. Being reasonably sane, normal people, we've not stock piled anything and currently have little food in the house being the end of the week, as we simply shop week-to-week. We usually do an online delivery but obviously no slots are available now, so no idea how tomorrow's shopping trip is going to go.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Really not looking forward to the weekend. Being reasonably sane, normal people, we've not stock piled anything and currently have little food in the house being the end of the week, as we simply shop week-to-week. We usually do an online delivery but obviously no slots are available now, so no idea how tomorrow's shopping trip is going to go.

I’d try and do it before tomorrow if at all possible. Definitely a weekend to avoid shopping if you can.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

You still towards Kemptown? The independent places down there are apparently fine.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yeah, and thanks :thumbsup:

We're like you and shop once a week, topping up with odds and ends of fresh stuff as we need it in between, and by the time our shopping day comes round every week we often don't have much left.

I think avoiding the big supermarkets is key - two Co-ops not too far from me weren't bad today, although I think we're all going to have to learn to be a bit flexible for a while.

I also bought bread from a baker and fruit from a greengrocer today, which hasn't happened in many a year. We've also had our milk delivered for quite some time - it's expensive relative to the supermarkets, but it feels like a nice service to support - it's like we've gone back to living in the 70s!

Another thing people might want to consider is the fruit and veg delivery box schemes - there's a fair few of them about, and I've seen a few local butchers this way publicising the same - I guess they've lost a lot of their commercial trade so will be ramping up their efforts to sell direct to the public.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Knights Butchers in Worthing is my usual place for meat anyway, but sadly they seem to have charged me £1/100g for beef mince. Didn't think about it at the time only when I got back. Hope this is not going to be a theme.

A lot of the 'international' food places around Worthing seem to have good choice back. I only really need a bit of veg for the weekend so hopefully can manage that tomorrow would too much running around.

Revised mothers day menu courtesy of Piglets...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Went to the Farm Shop between Storrington and West Chiltington.

I panic bought SIX Potatoes and FOUR Carrots as well as my usual SIX Free Range Eggs.

Clearly I don't care what you lot on NSC think of me...

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Another thing people might want to consider is the fruit and veg delivery box schemes - there's a fair few of them about, and I've seen a few local butchers this way publicising the same - I guess they've lost a lot of their commercial trade so will be ramping up their efforts to sell direct to the public.

I have a family-sized box of strangely-shaped fruit and veg arriving from Oddbox on Sunday morning. Seemed the best option i had at the time, and can live with it certainly.
Abel and Cole said they were not taking on new customers though.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Read some complete and utter ****witedry on a local facebook "lets all support each" other group just now. Someone posted:

"Hi, I have just bought three lots of calpol as I found some when out shopping. I don't actually need it, but bought it just in case anybody on this group needs some. PM me if you do."

What a ****ing MORON!!!!! :facepalm:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We're like you and shop once a week, topping up with odds and ends of fresh stuff as we need it in between, and by the time our shopping day comes round every week we often don't have much left.

I think avoiding the big supermarkets is key - two Co-ops not too far from me weren't bad today, although I think we're all going to have to learn to be a bit flexible for a while.

I also bought bread from a baker and fruit from a greengrocer today, which hasn't happened in many a year. We've also had our milk delivered for quite some time - it's expensive relative to the supermarkets, but it feels like a nice service to support - it's like we've gone back to living in the 70s!

We were sort of the same. The big difference (and accidental kudos to Mrs GB here) is we are not veggie and she loves a bulk buy bargain to put in the freezer. Wickenden's Meats in Hangleton do (or did, they messaged yesterday to say stock was a bit low) weekly hampers of meat that you cannot possibly get through in 7 days - it's more 2 weeks worth. She'd got one of these as a normal occurrence a couple of weeks before the panic set in and it's all still handily in the freezer. That means we're fine for protein and haven't needed to panic buy at all. We also get eggs delivered from Mackies. Used to get Riverford Farms veg boxes but stopped, which is annoying as there is no fresh veg in the house at all but I expect I will just go to a greengrocer and get a little to get us over the weekend.

I may well be channelling my inner middle class at some point soon. I have resolved to mainly pack in drinking but I will probably get some nice craft beer and an expensive bottle of wine from Quaff at some point. I'm at the point where spending £20 or £30 on a nice bottle is far preferable to spending the same on six shit bottles from Tescos and having to fight a whale with a trolley full of bog roll for them. Similarly will be on sourdough or brown bread and exotic fruit.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just been to the Open Market and green grocers have full selection of fruit and veg, fish shop full selection of fish, and egg, bacon and cheese shop fully stocked. Stopped off at Waitrose on way home to buy fresh bread and shelves stripped bare!

Had a wry smile as I paid for my baguette and cherry and almond tart, while others stared blankly at the empty veg aisles :smile:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My local bakery will allow you to pre-order bread so I popped round today to collect the loaf I ordered yesterday and ordered another one for Monday. Then went to the co-op to get some chocolate and other sweeties plus a bottle of lactose free milk.
From there into the greengrocers who had everything else except eggs. Drove to a local farm shop who had eggs and, joy of joys, scotch bonnet chillies.

One thing the supermarkets could do is to end bulk buy offers; co-op had 4 bottles of LF milk but they were 2 for £2, normally we would take advantage but we only needed one at present so we only bought one.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Mrs D has just been out for her usual long Friday morning walk with a pal and they called into Lidl on the way back as it's close to home.............she says things seem to be calming down as shelves weren't too bad at all. Easily managed to get some fresh veg & potatoes (only thing we really needed) so I can dig out the leg of lamb that's been in the freezer for quite a while (I think I picked it up just after Xmas when they were selling them at half price) and get that done on Sunday. The leftover lamb will then be lobbed in the slow cooker on Monday for a chilli - works brilliantly. Not done a big supermarket shop for a couple of weeks now, easily getting by on picking up things and ends as we need them.

They are rationing things which is generally a good thing, but baby wipes, surface wipes and floor wipes are all considered to the the same thing apparently, so if you want all three you're knackered as it's max 2 per customer. I guess wiping a baby with a floor wipe is ok :lolol::lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
coronapic.jpg

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Many things were done pretty well back then, before multinational conglomerates.

Unfortunately, such is the mindset of many of the young, they will look to Amazon Pantry before they look local.

Jul 7, 2003
It's not always the obvious places either. For example, I have just bought eggs from a local butcher whereas none of the local supermarkets (big or small) seem to have any in stock.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I had a little mooch round all 3 of the shops in Hailsham lunchtime (Only got a few bits for my lunch next week as I am stuck at home before anyone starts) and the trends were fascinating. Veg stripped but loads of fruit. Meat stripped apart from Beef in one shop and lamb in another. No eggs anywhere but loads of jars of pickled eggs. Weetabix and Frosties stripped but loads of Shreddies. Lager stripped but fair amount of bitter left. Tonic stripped but loads of Gin and Vodka. Limited amounts of wine and, bizarrely, low alcohol beer and wine but loads of bottled water. No cat food apart from loads of Sheeba and a few other more expensive brands. No fresh or dried pasta but loads of those packs of Dolmio microwaveable pasta twirls. No washing up liquid but loads of washing powder and dishwasher tablets. Very little sliced bread but loads of fresh bread and part baked rolls. No tinned tomatoes or passata but loads of pasta sauce. No paracetamol but loads of cold and flu medication containing - you guessed it.

It is very strange the things that people think they will need if they can't go out for a few weeks.

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
Impossible to buy a freezer atm. Argos, Currys etc all out of stock and second hand units on ebay attracting a tremendous number of bids.

The hoarders have bought up all the freezers so they can hoard even more!

I mentioned this to a builder friend and he told me a guy he knows bought 4 freezers at the weekend to load up with ready meals,fresh meat and veg.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here