Anyone Happy To Admit To Panic Buying/Stockpiling?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s amazing how this has escalated, why were foodstuffs generally not targeted circa 10 days ago?

About a month ago I noticed all the paracetamol shelves were empty, soon after loo roll and sanitiser hoarding started (and from eBay chancers scooping it up).

Then followed by rice, sausages, baked beans and tinned spaghetti, from what I could see.

Strange how it’s ramped up item by item. Possibly a self fulfilling prophecy of shoppers copy catting, when they see some items selling out?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
I’m okay, buying this rice bag every few months for last two years [emoji23] this is my third one in 23 months.

7f763c2f54926f76112312d3440d3635.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Cor!! Look at that beauty! :drool:

28 washes!! Lovely! But what I REALLY need is x3 boxes so I can do 84 washes. Thanks Tesco :facepalm:

Attachments

• 50438-ariel-pods-3-in-1-mountain-spring-28-pcs-20191009-120349-big-2x.png
    50438-ariel-pods-3-in-1-mountain-spring-28-pcs-20191009-120349-big-2x.png
    225.5 KB · Views: 114

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It is stupid, pathetic, weak, and every other adjective I can think of, but it got to stage of "everyone else has already stripped the shelves virtually bare, so if I don't get something now, there won't be anything left by the time I actually need it. **** it."

This is the quandry isn't it. We haven't stockpiled in any shape or form - but I went to get muesli, toilet roll and digestive biscuits at lunch today, because we have pretty much none left in the house. I came back empty handed. So tomorrow when I go, I will almost certainly buy an extra packet (if there are any) so that we don't get caught short again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is the quandry isn't it. We haven't stockpiled in any shape or form - but I went to get muesli, toilet roll and digestive biscuits at lunch today, because we have pretty much none left in the house. I came back empty handed. So tomorrow when I go, I will almost certainly buy an extra packet (if there are any) so that we don't get caught short again.

The same here, I’ve started playing the game of buying slightly too much of essentials, in case they’re sold out on subsequent shops.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Popped into Tesco Worthing to pick my son up who was at the barbers. Couldn't believe how empty the shelves were. Must be a larger Jewish community than I realised as all chicken and beef had gone but still some pork left. Tinned veg was all gone, all the pasta, noodles and rice shelves were also empty. Even the biscuit aisle looked like it had been ransacked with no normal biscuits on the shelf - just a few packs of finest cookies. People must be getting desperate as all the pet food seems to have been bought up as well.

Funnily enough had my hair cut there on Saturday.

Never seen so many Easter Eggs in one place in my life.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Went to Waitrose, several aisles completely empty. Only wanted 00 flour, but there was no flour of any description. Went to my local Italian delicatessen and asked them for 00. They asked me how many bags. Lovely service. Picked up some nice other pieces, including Nduja. Shop local and shop small.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Funny how it works the other way around as well.
Mrs OM and youngest, like Vitasoy Protein Plus soya milk ,as it is the only one with no added sugar.
I usually and have always bought 10 at a time, to save me going back every other day.
Woolies, who are probably the only one who does it here, have started to introduce rationing on essential items, which is fair in this climate.
I went to the checkout with my usual amount of this item and was told I had to be limited to just 2, as they were being rationed.
I explained that there are loads still on the shelf, which there was, as no one seems to find this product essential and it isn't cheap either.
She wouldn't budge so I went home with just 2, my wife and youngest will polish this off in 2 days, so I am doomed to have to go every other day to buy 2 of these items, which no one is panic buying !

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Bovian

Weststander
The same here, I’ve started playing the game of buying slightly too much of essentials, in case they’re sold out on subsequent shops.

Welcome to the real world.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Loads of pigs trotters available in Brecon Morrison’s if anyone’s interested.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I bought forward my weekly shop to this morning rather than doing it tomorrow as I was planning, does that count? I also bought two bottles of washing up liquid when I only needed one. Sorry everyone.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
How long has this stockpiling been going on ? I think I've done two shops now where there has been no toilet rolls/pasta. We always tend to buy 24 packs of toilet rolls in the house and bought one a couple of shops ago before this started, and I am now onto the wholewheat spaghetti and noodles from the back of the larder.

I reckon it's been about two weeks, so shirley every dumb f***er who is doing it must have their stockpile nearly full by now. There has to come a point soon where supermarkets restock their shelves not to have them immediately emptied again, doesn't there ? If not, I am going to stop eating pasta and wiping my arse because I'm buggered if I'm going to join in with this complete f***wittery :annoyed:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
How long has this stockpiling been going on ? I think I've done two shops now where there has been no toilet rolls/pasta. We always tend to buy 24 packs of toilet rolls in the house and bought one a couple of shops ago before this started, and I am now onto the wholewheat spaghetti and noodles from the back of the larder.

I reckon it's been about two weeks, so shirley every dumb f***er who is doing it must have their stockpile nearly full by now. There has to come a point soon where supermarkets restock their shelves not to have them immediately emptied again, doesn't there ? If not, I am going to stop eating pasta and wiping my arse because I'm buggered if I'm going to join in with this complete f***wittery :annoyed:

You would think with everything but hand sanitiser, it would be a zero sum game. But with products like toilet paper and dried pasta, you can get 2 years worth without wasting money. All the time people stockpile, restocking will be difficult. But you would imagine the fresh meat/bread craze will be short lived as people will have filled their freezers.

Problem is that with older people having to lock down, there is a temptation to collect extra in case they need it. Despite having enough toilet paper and pasta for our need, I will buy a small amount if I see it as I am pleased to say my mum and dad are already doing the right thing and staying in or going for walks in remote areas. Whilst they have enough for now, they might struggle in a month or two and will be reliant on me or my sister getting shopping for them. Same applied to my girlfriend's mum if anyone can actually convince her that a 79 year old with diabetes and angina really shouldn't be out shopping for her sick friend. For all of the inconsiderate people playing Supermarket Sweep, there will be people looking after their own.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
As some have already stated living in villages 8/10 miles away IS harder . Started ordering online ,Paracetamol, loo rolls , soup , beans not delivered , so off you go to the supermarket and local stores you have no choice because when you get there everyone is doing the same . Again u say ok I’ll stick to ordering online (Horsham Tesco) as we live In Wisborough Green all slots have gone that’s getting on for three weeks ? So what are people out here supposed to do ? Spoke to my local shop owner and offered him my minibus (as I’m a taxi driver that is going to lose everything, )to take down to where he stocks up so the village can be ok . His reply I’ll think about it. What’s there to bloody think about for Christ sake . And that’s why some people have no choice but to grab what they can and some are offering to get things for others who can’t get out .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports