Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Happy To Admit To Panic Buying/Stockpiling?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Went into my local large supermarket yesterday to do a food shop for essentials. Turned up about 10pm and the place was empty except the shelf packers. Got me some gin, beer, marmite, peanutbutter, all important loo roll (that was needed) but nothing else on my list. Supply chain issues, no stock. Going to have some interesting meals this week working from home. Time to be creative.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Tesco Bishop Auckland has imposed a limit of 3 per customer for every product, except bog roll which is 2 small packs or 1 pack of 24. I guess that this is nationwide, but maybe just specific to us. Clothes and non food unaffected. They have also started closing at 10pm instead of midnight.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Popped into M&S Worthing yesterday after work and first thing I saw as I entered the food hall was two staff unpacking numerous boxes of Prosecco. They had no meat (except really expensive steak), no veg and no baked beans!

I asked a manager how the supplies of Prosecco were getting through but not baked beans. She said that they are getting deliveries of baked beans but as soon as they put them out the first few customers that see them are buying the lot! I asked why they weren't rationing customers but I could tell by the look on her face that this was a concept that she didn't understand so I took my leave without further comment.

Yes - the greedy ****ers who are panic buying are screwing the rest of us over but they can only do that because the stores allow them to. Ration the customers then everybody gets a share. How difficult can it be?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes - the greedy ****ers who are panic buying are screwing the rest of us over but they can only do that because the stores allow them to. Ration the customers then everybody gets a share. How difficult can it be?

I agree it doesn't sound difficult, but I'm guessing some of these people are liable to get pretty aggressive if challenged.

Dealing with that isn't what most supermarket workers signed up for.

And that's without considering policing those who come in, buy, go to the car, come back in, buy, go to the car and repeat, and, say, those who come in as a household group and insist on buying whatever they can each: "It says five per customer mate - we're different customers".

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thoroughly depressing. I use click and collect at Tesco and now all slots totally gone as far out as 7th April.

Feel for my brother too, he does a weekly shop - 30min by bus, only to find out he can barely get anything he needs and has to go home pretty empty handed.

Difficult to ‘not panic buy’ when clearly it is the only option - if there is stuff to buy!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I agree it doesn't sound difficult, but I'm guessing some of these people are liable to get pretty aggressive if challenged.

And that's without considering policing those who come in, buy, go to the car, come back in, buy, go to the car and repeat, and, say, those who come in as a household group and insist on buying whatever they can each: "It says five per customer mate - we're different customers".

Sad but true there are too many selfish, aggressive and ignorant people out there.

I can also see people going in as a family and doing separate shops to avoid confrontation but getting what they want. Probably then boasting about it on Social Media too.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Went into my local shop for bread. None available but I got bog roll! I won't have to soil my long sleeve jumpers now!!
Also got some entry level lager.......fridat will come early this week:whistle:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I know that this will not be helpful to some, but it may be worthwhile chatting to supermarket staff to find out the best times of day that certain items will most likely be available. This may result in people making several trips, but at least you are more likely to get the stuff that you need. For example, at the Tesco I work, fresh food (fruit and veg, meat, cheese, yogurt etc) plus some frozen goods and morning goods (crumpets, scones, wraps, cakes, croissant etc) are delivered at 5am. Bread arrives between 6 and 7.30am. Groceries are usually delivered by 10am. So there is no point trying to find bread at 6am as it has not been delivered yet, similarly you have more chance of getting baked beans at midday. There is an assumption that supermarkets work 24 hours a day and they will be full first thing - this is not necessarily the case anymore.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Kind of.

A number of bars and restaurants are selling future-use vouchers. The idea being they get some money now to keep them going. I’m now buying some vouchers each and every week....the idea being I’ll have piles of these things when normality arrives and I’ll be going balls deep in all my favourite bars and restaurants. I feel good about myself, restaurants and bars get some cash-flow, and i then engage in a brutal onslaught of food and drink in the afterworld.....what’s not to like? Aside from my waistline and a few internal organs everyone’s a winner.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Kind of.

A number of bars and restaurants are selling future-use vouchers. The idea being they get some money now to keep them going. I’m now buying some vouchers each and every week....the idea being I’ll have piles of these things when normality arrives and I’ll be going balls deep in all my favourite bars and restaurants. I feel good about myself, restaurants and bars get some cash-flow, and i then engage in a brutal onslaught of food and drink in the afterworld.....what’s not to like? Aside from my waistline and a few internal organs everyone’s a winner.

Similarly, I'm going to suggest to my coffee shop owner that should he told to close for a while, I'm happy to keep paying him at the usual rate we consume drinks and cake each week, and then take those as and when we are able. He's an enterprising sort, so I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't considered that already, but if he hasn't he can float the idea to other regulars.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Kind of.

You won't be a winner, if you end up with a couple of hundred Euros worth of vouchers for closed down places. If you can afford to write it off though, you'll be able to feel altruistic about it.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Reckon the thing to do is shop small, local and often. Most corner shops/convenience stores are fully laden, having their own supply chains and their own cash n carrys. Might cost you a little bit more, but it's a far nicer, less stressful shopping experience than mixing it with the zombie hordes at your nearest giant Tesco. IMHO, like

I've been finding little shops I never noticed/ knew existed before and my local shop sells everything! I only used to go there for wine :D:wink:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Kind of.

These businesses are at a very high risk of going bust. At which point vouchers will be worthless. Only do this if you are happy to make a charitable donation!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
These businesses are at a very high risk of going bust. At which point vouchers will be worthless. Only do this if you are happy to make a charitable donation!!

Agreed - this was my concern really.

I crowdfunded Kitgum kitchen Brighton - was hoping to use my investment at their new place in Brighton on Monday but they've now closed 'until further notice'

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

From personal experience of the panic buying in the 70s (Toilet Rolls, Sugar and one time even Salt!)

Rationing to one per person meant a family of 4 would go through the till individually!

This time.
We did stock up anticipating a 14 day quarantine so we bought a pack of pasta and toilet roll even though we didn't need them yet.
As it happened, we didn't leave Malta so no quarantine yet. It seems that only Lidl has queues before opening and although there is some panic buying,there are loads of small convenience shops that have stock.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here